Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

View Poll Results: Do you think that players should be awarded karma for defusing/planting the bomb?
YES! I sure do. 12 38.71%
Yes, but not +1 for every single objective completed. 4 12.90%
NO!! I had to earn my karma! 8 25.81%
I don't give a damn.. Get me some fries. 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Official AMXX Server and Forum Karma

Post New Thread Reply   

Lee
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-03-2006 , 15:13   Official AMXX Server and Forum Karma
Reply With Quote #1

As you can see, I'm relatively new here, (but did register way before GabenMod was publicly playable), but awarding +1 karma to forum members who play on the official server every time they plant (and detonate) or defuse the bomb seems a little unfair on the people who had to spend time learning to script and/or help others.

I just think it undermines the whole purpose of the karma system here. I understand that you're interested in having an incentive for forum members to play at the official server, and perhaps it wouldn't be so much of an issuse if and when the server is significantly more populated, but maybe you could implement a 10-20% chance that completing an objective awards karma.

Just my thoughts. Anyone?

Edit: I struggled to find a suitable forum for this post, but subsequently realised it should be under Suggestions/Requests. Apologies.
organizedKaoS
Old 05-03-2006 , 15:18  
Reply With Quote #2

How about instead of awarding karma, just make a new set of ranks for the server players.

The forums have "AMXX this and that", so if the person plays in the server alot, why not have ranks like "GabenMod Kiddie" or stuff like that.

I think that would be more fair than any thing else.

That way, the karma can still be isolated to actual forum use.

And if it were possible, just tack on the server rank to the forum rank, something like "AMXX Scriptkiddy" and below it "GabenMod Kiddie".

I dont know much about how this could be accomplished, but seeing how this site is run most of the time, Im pretty sure it can be done.
Basic-Master
Veteran Member
Old 05-03-2006 , 15:27  
Reply With Quote #3

hrmMMM. I like that idea.

edit: you could've posted it in the offical server thread, but doesn't matter.
Send a message via ICQ to Basic-Master Send a message via MSN to Basic-Master
KoST
Old 05-03-2006 , 17:08  
Reply With Quote #4

i liked the idea that only other users can give you +/- more..

why are the user votes mixed up with game stats at all?

i think this really discourages users who earned karma,
spending hours of their time to help others.

i agree that karma means nothing, but what if it at least encourages users to participate more?!
Old 05-03-2006 , 17:17  
Reply With Quote #5

I do agree it's kind of wrong. The idea was get people to participate in the server. After all, if you complete the objective, it's good karma ;)

However, I think gameplay in this manner is unbalanced towards Ts.

The karma system gets a revamp soon, primarily to prevent people from having posses to unfairly nuke certain users. We'll look over how gameplay objectives are rewarded then
v3x
Veteran Member
Old 05-03-2006 , 20:30  
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN
The karma system gets a revamp soon, primarily to prevent people from having posses to unfairly nuke certain users. We'll look over how gameplay objectives are rewarded then
That's the word I used in IRC

Yeah, I don't really like it. If you have no life and play all of the time, then you could get loads of karma.

Is "karma farming" blocked? What I mean is if they're a couple players in the server just planting/defusing without actually playing.
What am I doing these days? Well, I run my own Rust server. It's heavily modded. If you'd like to join, the ip is 167.114.101.67:28116

I also created a website called Rust Tools. It will calculate and tell you the raw amounts of resources needed to craft items.
FatalisDK
Old 05-03-2006 , 20:40   Re: Official AMXX Server and Forum Karma
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
10-20% chance that completing an objective awards karma.
I like that idea.
Old 05-03-2006 , 20:44  
Reply With Quote #8

Code:
if(random_num(1,3) == random_num(1,3))   // give karma
What am I doing these days? Well, I run my own Rust server. It's heavily modded. If you'd like to join, the ip is 167.114.101.67:28116

I also created a website called Rust Tools. It will calculate and tell you the raw amounts of resources needed to craft items.