nVault Tutorial

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Black Rose
Veteran Member
Old 09-21-2016 , 15:28   Re: nVault Tutorial
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxor View Post
@prostetamoto: Just for safety, 'maybe' player is not fully connected so i make a little delay, is not big deal but just to be sure( and in my past i was having problems some times so this should be there ).

It's you preferences rose, but bugsy said to make a global var gAuthId to avoid calling get_user_authid more times, even if you make it in a stock calls are maded more times but that's about preferences.

About szPoints should be [11] sorry i did not know about max integers

Oo, about '33' as i know:

32 - the container wich hold the the arrays:

31 - id 32
30 - id 31
29 - id 30
28 - id 29
27 - 28
..... bla bla bla...
4 - id 5
3 - id 4
2 - id 3
2 - id 3
1 - id 2
0 - id 1.

So why using 33 ?
Yeah. Ignore the fact that I've been coding for AMXX for 11 years.

My example only calls get_user_authid() once on authorized.
EDIT: This is wrong as pointed out by Bugsy: Then it stores the integer value generated from that and never use the string again.
Trust me, it's better in every way. It's just a question of overkill.

Indexes range from either 0-31 if you use a listen server or 1-32 if you have a dedicated server (because the server has id 0).
If you set up a variable with 32 indexes (new array[32]), you get 32 indexes, but they range from 0-31. If a player joins and gets the id 32 and you try calling array[id(32)], you will get index out of bounds error and the plugin fails miserably.
You can use array[id-1], but that means if you run a listen server you will get index out of bounds in the other end instead since there is no array[-1].
For simplicity people tend to use 33 because there is no need to worry. Nothing can go wrong. I don't think many people knows about the listen server problem though, but that doesn't matter.

You can also look at it from another perspective.
If you use array[id-1] it means that the engine has to carry out a math operation which steals precious CPU. And optimization (in my world) is about using memory to preserve CPU. Because memory is almost never an issue. And in this case we're talking about 1 cell extra, that's 4 bytes. Again, overkill. The point of not carrying out any math operations with the player ID is readability. And that's the most important thing of any code.
If you can read it properly, you can understand it.
If you can understand it you can debug and support it.
That's the way of becoming a good coder IMHO.

You clearly want to become a good coder. And I support you. But you have to chill out a bit. You will make mistakes in the beginning, don't worry about it.

Last edited by Black Rose; 09-24-2016 at 05:45.