Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Creating a "clone" of a player

Post New Thread Reply   

Kinsi
Old 01-21-2017 , 23:11   Creating a "clone" of a player
Reply With Quote #1

Hai there,

i've been trying for the past few hours or so to do something that seemed easy at first, but apparently isnt.

Essentially, i am looking to create a clone of a player in a different location that moves / rotates and animates just like its "parent". It does not necessarily need to have the items / weapons of its "parent", just the model itself is enough.

I've tried to spawn a prop_dynamic_override w/ the model of the player, setting the effect flags EF_BONEMERGE|EF_PARENT_ANIMATES and parenting / attaching it to the player w/ SetParentAttachmentMaintainOffset, unfortunately i guess the bonemerging "ignores" the MaintainOffset, as the model then (still) is ported into its parent.

Further on i've tried to just spawn a prop_dynamic_override and clone pretty much every netprop that seemed to have something to do w/ animations, and that unfortunately did not result in anything.

Has somebody every had success doing something like this? Does anyone possibly know how one could do this?

Thanks!
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 01-22-2017 , 01:30   Re: Creating a "clone" of a player
Reply With Quote #2

copying the sequence netprop would probably be the only way to copy animations to a prop. However it looks half-baked.
Also yeah you cant change the position of a prop when it's bonemerged, i've tried everything. The bones are set to the same position and angle as the parent.
Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 01-22-2017 , 02:43   Re: Creating a "clone" of a player
Reply With Quote #3

There's all sorts of stupid things that seem to affect the position things get parented to, like whether or not you setparent before or after DispatchSpawn is called, whether or not you set the caller/activator when calling SetParent and what you set those too, etc...
Old 01-22-2017 , 03:18   Re: Creating a "clone" of a player
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
copying the sequence netprop would probably be the only way to copy animations to a prop. However it looks half-baked.
Also yeah you cant change the position of a prop when it's bonemerged, i've tried everything. The bones are set to the same position and angle as the parent.
Because attachments are handled client side, and bone merge simply tells the client to attach the prop to the client using same named bones
Kinsi
Old 01-22-2017 , 11:49   Re: Creating a "clone" of a player
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
I've tried that. Unfortunately, when i copy the m_nSequence netprop from the client to the prop_dynamic_override it simply does nothing. The prop still rests in the "idle" pose

PHP Code:
SetEntProp(playerCloneProp_Send"m_nSequence"GetEntProp(clientProp_Send"m_nSequence"));
ChangeEdictState(playerCloneFindDataMapInfo(playerClone"m_nSequence")); 
Other props i tried to copy (addionally) which have done nothing: m_flPlaybackRate, m_flFrozen, m_nSequence, m_flAnimTime, m_flSimulationTime, m_bSimulatedEveryTick, m_bAnimatedEveryTick, m_flCycle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mspaint_2017-01-22_17-46-12.jpg (94.9 KB, 395 views)

Last edited by Kinsi; 01-22-2017 at 11:51.
Kinsi
Old 01-23-2017 , 11:05   Re: Creating a "clone" of a player
Reply With Quote #6

Well, i guess the journey is over. Theres a netprop for the player called m_bClientSideAnimation. Its set to 1.

Even when i set it to 0, and change m_bSimulatedEveryTick and m_bAnimatedEveryTick to 1, values like m_nSequence, m_flCycle will keep the value of 0.

If somebody knows how / if i could work around this somehow that would be neat

Last edited by Kinsi; 01-23-2017 at 11:06.
kadet.89
Veteran Member
Old 01-23-2017 , 12:09   Re: Creating a "clone" of a player
Reply With Quote #7

Spawn a bot and translate cmd's from a valid player to it.
Quote:
tv_enable "1"
tv_name "Bot"
These CV create a dummy spectator bot. The bot doesn't require navigations and does nothing after forced spawn, just standing on the ground and waiting for somebody to kill him. Though you can easily manipulate him with the puppet mod: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=132773 (at least it was possible in cs:s a few years ago) You can also use hostages the same way, only they are not so pliable.
If you want it to work your way, you may use CEntity extension and override the animation part of the CCPlayer class. This extension has such implementation for tf2: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=127034 and this part of the extension still does its work, so you can just copy and past it, though I only tested it with CS:S
There is an extension NPC for CS:S: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=161331
It only runs under CSS v73, but you may find some useful stuff there.

Last edited by kadet.89; 01-23-2017 at 13:57.
Send a message via Skype™ to kadet.89
Kinsi
Old 01-23-2017 , 13:21   Re: Creating a "clone" of a player
Reply With Quote #8

Should've added CS:GO to the title, my bad.

The issue is that this would still not calculate animations on the server.

Like i said i need to 1:1 mimic a player in a different location which unfortunately isnt possible as the animations are seemingly calculated on the client and not the server.

Not only does CENtity look extremely complicated, also would that cause this thing to get kinda out of hand. I think i might've to look for a different way of solving my problem. Still, thank you though for the idea.
kadet.89
Veteran Member
Old 01-23-2017 , 14:01   Re: Creating a "clone" of a player
Reply With Quote #9

If you need just a prop_dynamic entity with blended animations, you may try this:
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=268065
Yep, it's not simple, but it does exactly what you want (these Items are simple dynamic props + animation blender). I know a CS:S server where it's used to add custom animations to default player models
There used to be an entity for duplicate animations of a character in HL2, don't remember the name of it... may be there is something similar in CS:GO..

Last edited by kadet.89; 01-23-2017 at 14:08.
Send a message via Skype™ to kadet.89