Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Donations, Other News

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

BAILOPAN
Old 10-08-2008 , 03:26   Donations, Other News

As I alluded to in another thread, running this site loses a decent amount of money. To help curb this and become sustainable we're going to try two new things:

1) Making it easier to donate and get recognized for donating. The main site now has a Hall of Fame and donation page.

With pRED's help the system is now automated. If you donate, you get the "Donor" member title automatically, as well as access to a special donors-only forum (see the page for more info).

2) We make almost no revenue from our ads so we're going to experiment a bit. Ideally, interested parties should be able to directly bid into advertising on the site. I'll post more on this when I have a better idea of how it will work. Rest assured, we won't allow pop-ups, ads with sound, or anything else horribly disruptive to the viewing experience.

In other news, the translator tool has gotten some tender loving care. It's all set to export languages for the 1.1 release. What will happen:
  • When all blocking bugs with pending translation issues are fixed, 1.1 will be "string frozen." There is only one more such bug left.
  • I will post news saying that the translation tool is open again. We will accept moderators for each language.
  • Moderators will be responsible for making sure there is a 1:1 phrase to translation mapping. Every phrase should have exactly one translation. To ensure this, only moderators can use the tool now.
  • For every language that has exactly one translation for each phrase, we will export that language and package it with each release.
Please do not ask to be a moderator until news asking for moderators is posted. There will be specific directions. It will be soon.

As always, thanks for your support! If you have any ideas/comments/questions feel free to post them.
Old 10-08-2008 , 09:11   Re: Donations, Other News

I thought NuclearFallout was dealing with all expanses.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-08-2008 , 11:43   Re: Donations, Other News

Looks good, works perfect

The option for an automatic monthly donation (subscription)
would be cool, but I think I'll manage to remember to support the
cause continuously though (hopefully ).
RM_Hamster
SourceMod Donor
Old 10-08-2008 , 11:47   Re: Donations, Other News

Thanks for everything you guys do!

A monthly subscription would be nice, I think too.
BAILOPAN
Old 10-08-2008 , 13:46   Re: Donations, Other News

Shaman: NuclearFallout never did anything like that, unfortunately. They provided a free server which fell into disuse.

About subscriptions: I don't want to set myself up for trouble. People can forget about subscriptions and then later realize they're leaking money they forgot to cut off. They can even entirely forget what it was for.

I think I'd be amenable to subscriptions if donations were less ephemeral. That is, being able to tie more definitive services in.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-08-2008 , 13:55   Re: Donations, Other News

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
About subscriptions: I don't want to set myself up for trouble. People can forget about subscriptions and then later realize they're leaking money they forgot to cut off. They can even entirely forget what it was for.
Doh, yes, that's right, didn't think about that!

But hey, you can still send a PM to me every beginning of a month to remind
me to support the project, I'd be fine with that as well
XARIUS
SourceMod Donor
Old 10-08-2008 , 17:50   Re: Donations, Other News

Donate system worked great, except the "return to" page after paypal came up as 404.

Thanks everyone for your hard work and time keeping sourcemod up to date.

X
Old 10-08-2008 , 17:58   Re: Donations, Other News

I think a GSP will dish out a hefty sum for an ad on one of the #1 source server addons... Mattie got cs.com and I know the same company, lowpings has a lot of ads floating around too. Maybe make donators not see any ads? I know I ad block everything, especially google ads. Some forums have ads inbetween the posts which suck a lot. I had a quad core with softlayer for like 220 a few months ago.

swifty29
Old 11-23-2008 , 21:16   Re: Donations, Other News

Quote:
As a small incentive (and to show our appreciation), any donation above $5 gives you access to a private Donors' Only forum -- one month for every $5 ($50+ is permanent access).
Does this mean if you donate $5 per month for 10 months you get permanent access? Or do you have donate 50 at once?
BAILOPAN
Old 11-23-2008 , 23:41   Re: Donations, Other News

It's set up to the latter, but I have no problem changing it to be the former.