Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Sourcebans without dedicated IP

Post New Thread Reply   

regacct2
Old 11-18-2012 , 14:09   Sourcebans without dedicated IP
Reply With Quote #1

Hey everyone. I'm new here, but just wanted to start off by thanking the creators of this awesome mod. You guys rock!

Now, for my question. I have a webspace with hostmonster, but it's not a dedicated IP, so I can't open up any of the ports required.

While I know this will fully stop the website from seeing the servers, is it still possible to have the server pull the ban lists and admin lists from the webspace?

The reason I ask, I don't horribly care if the website can see the server. But, what I don't know is how the server actually gets it's updates (whether it pulls them directly from the database, or if the website pushes them to the servers.

Any help in explaining how that process works would be great. I'm a computer technician so I know how this all works in principle, and I understand the requirements and why things may not work, I just don't know how the sorucebans mod on the servers actually does it's thing.

Thanks everyone. And thanks to the community here, the people truly do keep these things alive (since Steam appears to be doing all they can to break it all).
Peace-Maker
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 11-19-2012 , 09:47   Re: Sourcebans without dedicated IP
Reply With Quote #2

The plugin uses a direct mysql connection to poll for bans and admins. The webpanel not being able to connect to the gameservers doesn't have any impact on the gameserver -> database connection.

If your host allows remote database access, you're good to go. You just won't have the goodies like refreshing admins on permission change or kicking players directly on webbans.
Old 11-19-2012 , 11:28   Re: Sourcebans without dedicated IP
Reply With Quote #3

That's great. Thanks very much for the response Peace-Maker. Oh, actually, 1 more question. Is there an easy way to, after I add a ban, oir change an admin in the web console, to force the server plugin to re-check for it's data? Would I just unload then reload the mod?

Last edited by regacct2; 11-19-2012 at 11:29.