Post New Thread Reply   

1nsane
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-02-2012 , 12:32   Name changers do not get kicked
Reply With Quote #1

It seems neither smac_client nor this plugin:
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=161320
Are able to detect name change hackers.

I had both of these loaded and watched a hacker change names in console without any problems.

I also edited the smac_client plugin to have a very low limit for name changes and changed my name using both sm_rename and from the steam overlay. Did not get kicked.

Last edited by 1nsane; 04-02-2012 at 12:32.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-02-2012 , 14:04   Re: Name changers do not get kicked
Reply With Quote #2

Which game is this?

It's possible that the game you're using doesn't use the player_changename event.
Veteran Member
Old 04-02-2012 , 14:17   Re: Name changers do not get kicked
Reply With Quote #3

After hearing this many times, I'm convinced that there's a plugin floating around that may be blocking the player_changename event. One example: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthr...=175785&page=2

If sm_rename spam isn't triggering "name spam detection" then something on your server is interfering with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
It's possible that the game you're using doesn't use the player_changename event.
As far as I know this event is included in all mods by default, and developers would have to go out of their way to remove it.

Last edited by GoD-Tony; 04-02-2012 at 14:23.
1nsane
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-02-2012 , 15:27   Re: Name changers do not get kicked
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoD-Tony View Post
After hearing this many times, I'm convinced that there's a plugin floating around that may be blocking the player_changename event. One example: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthr...=175785&page=2

If sm_rename spam isn't triggering "name spam detection" then something on your server is interfering with it.

As far as I know this event is included in all mods by default, and developers would have to go out of their way to remove it.
Odd. I will add a debug message to the name change event to see if it gets called. If not I'll look to see what plugin could be interfering.

Thanks for your response!

PS: The game is TF2.

EDIT:
Just had another name change hacker on the server changing name in very rapid succession. It seems it's name changes did not appear in chat. But looking at the scoreboard I could easily identify it.

While changing name using the steam interface/sm_rename prompts a chat message "X has changed name to X". Which makes me think that no plugin is blocking it or else it wouldn't show up at all.

I will do some further testing.

Last edited by 1nsane; 04-02-2012 at 16:32.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 04-03-2012 , 05:43   Re: Name changers do not get kicked
Reply With Quote #5

Ugh, it appears that this event isn't fired on TF2. I'll look into an alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nsane View Post
Just had another name change hacker on the server changing name in very rapid succession. It seems it's name changes did not appear in chat. But looking at the scoreboard I could easily identify it.

While changing name using the steam interface/sm_rename prompts a chat message "X has changed name to X". Which makes me think that no plugin is blocking it or else it wouldn't show up at all.
Blocking the event does not block the chat UserMessage (at least on CS:S). From a quick test, TF2 has a built-in name flood detection and stops printing name changes to chat. My guess is that it doesn't actually stop their name from being changed, just the chat message.

Edit: The event is fired, but it is also blocked after "name flood detection" takes place. Players can still change names during this time without the event/usermessage firing.

Last edited by GoD-Tony; 04-03-2012 at 05:58.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-03-2012 , 12:00   Re: Name changers do not get kicked
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Ugh, it appears that this event isn't fired on TF2. I'll look into an alternative.

Blocking the event does not block the chat UserMessage (at least on CS:S). From a quick test, TF2 has a built-in name flood detection and stops printing name changes to chat. My guess is that it doesn't actually stop their name from being changed, just the chat message.

Edit: The event is fired, but it is also blocked after "name flood detection" takes place. Players can still change names during this time without the event/usermessage firing.
Hmm... so, we should use pre-event hooks to detect this?

I knew TF2 did name flood detection, but I was only aware of it delaying name changes for a second or two, and I thought our plugins still detected said changes. Then again, Valve keeps modifying TF2.

Last edited by Powerlord; 04-03-2012 at 12:01.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 04-05-2012 , 04:47   Re: Name changers do not get kicked
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Hmm... so, we should use pre-event hooks to detect this?
The event simply isn't fired during these conditions. The best method would be to detect when the engine detects excessive name changes and go from there.
Old 04-10-2012 , 20:06   Re: Name changers do not get kicked
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:

Right, that seems to be it. However the name change still pops up in logs. Even if the event is no longer called.
Cain
SourceMod Donor
Old 09-05-2012 , 18:58   Re: Name changers do not get kicked
Reply With Quote #9

What is the status of this for CS:GO servers??

Thx!
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 09-11-2012 , 02:33   Re: Name changers do not get kicked
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
What is the status of this for CS:GO servers??
It should work. Are you having issues with it, or just bumping multiple threads out of curiosity?