Raised This Month: $7 Target: $400
 1% 

Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 09-02-2015 , 13:01   Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

We have two sizable changes happening, with the first one just implemented over the past day, and another coming soon with a separate news post.

Due to the huge number of new plugins being posted to share with users, and the small moderation team, there is no longer a line between "New Plugins" and "Approved Plugins". All plugins are now considered to be approved by default, unless a moderator ("Plugin Approver") marks it as unapproved due to breaking rules or being generally harmful. Plugin Approvers still have moderation rights in the section and can unapprove or re-approve plugins. The "Approved Plugins" and "New Plugins" subforums have now been merged, leaving only "Plugins".

Users posting plugins can post directly into this new forum, and not have to worry about users possibly being afraid to try plugins not marked as "Approved". Users are encouraged to use the forum's thread rating system to tacitly share their experience of how well a plugin is scripted and functions.

If you come across any issues with these changes, please post a comment in this thread.

Last edited by psychonic; 09-02-2015 at 13:09.
Drixevel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-02-2015 , 13:03   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Brilliance, with Part 1 I'm assuming there will be other parts? Any sneak previews or hints?

Also, the description for the plugins section is out of date. Figured I'd just post it here just in case it was missed.

Last edited by Drixevel; 09-02-2015 at 13:05.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 09-02-2015 , 13:10   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dw3r3w0lf View Post
Also, the description for the plugins section is out of date. Figured I'd just post it here just in case it was missed.
It was updated with the change, but it's perhaps worded a bit unclearly since you're the second person to mention that despite it being technically correct.

Currently, "All plugins that have not been unapproved by the moderation team."

I'm open to suggestions for alternate wording.
Spirit_12
Veteran Member
Old 09-02-2015 , 13:26   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Is this really a good idea? I mean anyone can throw their code on the site, and harm users.
Old 09-02-2015 , 13:41   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_12 View Post
Is this really a good idea? I mean anyone can throw their code on the site, and harm users.
The unapproved section is still a thing. Pretty sure they're also gonna trash plugins that do things like that like they were doing before but a lot easier with 1 section of plugins instead of 2.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 09-02-2015 , 13:47   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Quote:
Nothing has changed regarding standards, useless / bad / harmful plugins will still be unapproved / trashed.
Old 09-02-2015 , 13:54   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Quote:
While I know a lot of end users simply download and drop on their servers, I tend to be very untrustworthy, so I ALWAYS check the sources before attempting to compile and use, and I'm sure there are many others that do the same, so the chances of someone posting something potentially harmful and affecting a large number of users without the mods noticing should be rather minimal.

BAFFLED
Old 09-02-2015 , 13:56   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
Nothing has changed regarding standards, useless / bad / harmful plugins will still be unapproved / trashed.
To add to this, the Report Post button should still be used in these cases to help alert the moderators, and in the event that any willfully malicious plugin is posted, the user will be banned.

This, too, is nothing new.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 09-02-2015 , 14:32   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
It was updated with the change, but it's perhaps worded a bit unclearly since you're the second person to mention that despite it being technically correct.

Currently, "All plugins that have not been unapproved by the moderation team."

I'm open to suggestions for alternate wording.
I've changed it to just "Post, find, and rate plugins here."
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-02-2015 , 14:36   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Two things:
  1. Are thread ratings actually displayed somewhere?
  2. You can apparently rate your own thread. Or at least it appeared to accept it when I rated the NativeVotes thread.

Last edited by Powerlord; 09-02-2015 at 14:37. Reason: list=1 not list
Closed Thread