Raised This Month: $7 Target: $400
 1% 

AlliedModders now on GitHub

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

BAILOPAN
Old 05-26-2014 , 22:41   AlliedModders now on GitHub

Hi, everyone. I'm excited to announce that the source code for our major projects is now officially hosted on GitHub!

The world of source control has changed a lot since we started in 2004, and every few years we re-evaluate what tools might be best for the job. GitHub is unique in having a huge community, friendly user interface, and the capability to integrate with our existing tools. We're confident it will ensure a longer life for our projects by offering visibility and accessibility outside of our infrastructure - not just for us, but for contributors as well.

The following repositories are now live:The corresponding Mercurial repositories will no longer be updated.

We will continue to use Bugzilla for bug reporting, issue tracking, and technical communication. For patches to projects, pull requests via GitHub are preferred, and most PRs will not need corresponding bug reports. But often an idea may be large, complex, or contentious - and then it's best to open up discussion early so when the PR is ready, it is more likely to be accepted.

We've also prepared a short Git Tutorial on the wiki.

As always, thanks for your support! And special thanks to Nephyrin for helping us with the transition.

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 05-27-2014 at 04:32.
deathkilla
Old 05-26-2014 , 23:41   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

That's great news!

Good Job!
Sillium
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-27-2014 , 02:00   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

Keep up the good work!

www.unterwasserpyromanen.de
Impact123
Veteran Member
Old 05-27-2014 , 02:49   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

I'm really happy about that.
Old 05-27-2014 , 10:44   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

The only issue I can see here now is that we no longer have separate repositories for each HL2SDK, plus the central and releases branch of MM:S and SourceMod are now just branches of each other.

This makes it trickier to switch between them unless we intentionally check out the same project multiple times, meaning we now have a much, much, much larger file size footprint to deal with.
Edit 2: Apparently it's possible to just check out a specific branch, but it takes extra time to do this from a non-command-line client.

Edit: Incidentally, git doesn't store revision number, how will this change how builds are numbered?

Last edited by Powerlord; 05-27-2014 at 11:01.
KyleS
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 05-27-2014 , 10:57   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Edit: Incidentally, git doesn't store revision number, how will this change how builds are numbered?
Code:
git rev-list --count HEAD
It might not be linear; but it still functions.
BAILOPAN
Old 05-27-2014 , 12:40   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

You might want to take a look at checkout-deps.sh from sourcemod/tools. It grabs one copy of the HL2SDK and then clones it locally for each branch. It should result in 400MB of traffic instead of 7GB and around the same space used as before.

I don't understand your other problem since with Mercurial you had to check out multiple repositories to grab release/central versions.
Old 05-27-2014 , 12:45   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

As Kyle said the build numbers still increase monotonically, but build numbers have essentially been useless since we moved off Subversion. They're mostly there as a short substitute for time stamps.
Sexy Santa
Old 05-27-2014 , 12:59   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

Awesome , i like to browse git more than any other
Old 05-27-2014 , 13:50   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
This makes it trickier to switch between them unless we intentionally check out the same project multiple times, meaning we now have a much, much, much larger file size footprint to deal with.
You can probably use the git-new-workdir thingie to have checkouts of different branches from a single repo, which should use about the same disk space as the Mercurial setup.

Good luck if you're on Windows though
Closed Thread