Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

can't continue without maps/de_whatever.bsp

Post New Thread Reply   

blood2k
Old 06-27-2018 , 23:30   can't continue without maps/de_whatever.bsp
Reply With Quote #1

Greetings,

I've noticed this issue has been around for a while now and according to others I've asked about it, it isnt just in cs 1.6/HL1 engine.

The issue is that when playing maps outside of the standard cs 1.6 maps inferno/nuke/dust2/italy etc... people get this strange error upon map change.

Pretty much it errors only SOME people from downloading new maps + resources and prompts a message such as.

Server build
connecting: IP
can't continue without maps maps/de_mapname.bsp

but.... the OTHER half of the server downloads and gets in normally.

I've had this happen to myself as well and the fix to the issue is to reload your cs 1.6 and rejoin the server and then you go through the fast download process properly. The problem is not everyone reloads and rejoins... and this causes you to lose a good amount of your player base.

There are some things like cl_allowdownload "1" that people have proposed.. but I can vouch for the fact that it doesn't any role setting it to "0" or "1" as I've tried it with both.

I host with NFOservers and.. I doubt it's anything on their end. I also notice people get in on maps like fy_snow and other custom maps like de_mirage without issues... but then when u have maps with a couple sounds or models.. this is where some players are being kicked out the download and some arent... strange.

Last edited by blood2k; 06-27-2018 at 23:34.
haZh
Old 06-28-2018 , 03:18   Re: can't continue without maps/de_whatever.bsp
Reply With Quote #2

Some tips that may help you;
1. Client game should enable cl_allowdownload "1" to download new resources.
2. Server should enable sv_allowdownload "1" to transfer new resources to clients.
3. Delete all *.ztmp file from server folder before using an alternative FastDL server.
4. Server should set sv_allowdownload "0" if it's using an alternative FastDL server.
5. Server should specify a working FastDL directory sv_downloadurl "http://example.com/cstrike/"
6. If new *.ztmp files are still getting created, probably the server didn't switch to the FastDL server.

Last edited by haZh; 06-28-2018 at 03:50.
blood2k
Old 06-28-2018 , 12:02   Re: can't continue without maps/de_whatever.bsp
Reply With Quote #3

the cl_allowdownload "1" or "0" i've tried and it didn't make a difference

sv_allowdownload "0" is set because I use the alternative FastDL server.

the fastDL works correctly and link is correct

there are new .ztmp files being created on the server

:\ has anyone else noticed this issue?
haZh
Old 06-28-2018 , 12:42   Re: can't continue without maps/de_whatever.bsp
Reply With Quote #4

Again, just as a remider;
Quote:
Originally Posted by blood2k View Post
the cl_allowdownload "1" or "0" i've tried and it didn't make a difference
This is not a server.cfg cvar. This is just a client/game cvar. On clients, this does make a difference.

Quote:
sv_allowdownload "0" is set because I use the alternative FastDL server.
Good.

Quote:
the fastDL works correctly and link is correct
Great.

Quote:
there are new .ztmp files being created on the server
Are you sure that you have deleted all *ztmp file before switching to the FastDL server? Seems the server still didn't switch to the FastDL since you claim there are new *.ztmp file being created. But as you said already sv_allowdownload "0" it's a bit confusing why there are *.ztmp files at all. Maybe you have mistaken something or try ReHLDS if that helps.
Old 06-28-2018 , 12:51   Re: can't continue without maps/de_whatever.bsp
Reply With Quote #5

haZh, please stop pushing that stupid rehlds crap everywhere. There is no known bug with fast download, so it doesn't make sense to change to rehlds.

If .ztmp files are created the server tried to send the file to a client. Which means that there is something wrong with the fast download.
The most common error is that either the file is not where it should be or that the name does not match the name of the file on the fast download server.
Please post a screenshot of the error and the url of your fast download server and which OS it is running.

Last edited by Mordekay; 06-28-2018 at 12:55.
tarsisd2
Veteran Member
Old 06-28-2018 , 15:19   Re: can't continue without maps/de_whatever.bsp
Reply With Quote #6

you can always change the map name.

mordekay: don't hate rehlds just because you don't like it, it's work of people who are trying to help, fix bugs and stuff, nobody is forced to use it!
Mordekay
Squirrel of Fortune
Old 06-28-2018 , 15:44   Re: can't continue without maps/de_whatever.bsp
Reply With Quote #7

I don't hate it. It is simply not necessary to switch to it in this case. As i said: there is no existing bug regarding fast download. So there is definite something wrong in his setup or server configuration.

ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 06-28-2018 , 16:29   Re: can't continue without maps/de_whatever.bsp
Reply With Quote #8

I don't hate it either, but it's really weird how literally every single thread in this subforum has the response of "Just switch to ReHLDS" like it's some sort of cure-all snake oil.
tarsisd2
Veteran Member
Old 06-28-2018 , 17:58   Re: can't continue without maps/de_whatever.bsp
Reply With Quote #9

i switched to reHLDS then switched back to HLDS, rehlds has it's upside and downside, depends on people, bug i have a 12 slots match server, that works great with rehlds, i can set a deathmatch until the the both teams are ready to play, without using any plugins, just by cvars, but on a 32 players server i didn't like ti so much, bad shooting, so like i said, has ups and downs
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 06-28-2018 , 21:18   Re: can't continue without maps/de_whatever.bsp
Reply With Quote #10

If you disable downloading directly from the server and your fast download fails for some reason, the game will try to revert back to the server for download but it will fail and give the result that you are seeing.

Make sure that your fast download server is a high performance web server with plenty of bandwidth (by using a professional hosting service). Web servers are not infallible so it's not a entirely a bad idea to enable downloading directly from the server for the rare instances that the fast download (or the client) terminates the connection. Most players will either have the map or get it from the fast download server with the direct download being a backup method.

Or, you can switch to MeHLDS. (not a typo, lol)

Last edited by fysiks; 06-28-2018 at 21:23.