Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 09-03-2015 , 21:54   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
Well, the cat's out of the bagel now.

A free, (crappy) Steam game (of my choice), to the first person to know where that reference is from WITHOUT consulting a search engine.

More details on this change coming in the near future.
Either Lil or (more than likely) Angelica, Rugrats movie. I think it was the first movie.

BAFFLED
Old 09-03-2015 , 22:01   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhoward View Post
Either Lil or (more than likely) Angelica, Rugrats movie. I think it was the first movie.
I believe that it predated the first movie, but PM sent.
Fearts
ferts of daeth
Old 09-04-2015 , 12:54   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Not a huge fan of this change. It seems completely unnecessary. I liked being able to look through the new plugins forum to check out any thing new that might have been posted in the past day or so. It's going to be a lot more difficult to do this now as new threads will be pushed pages back by existing ones being bumped up.

I realize you guys are under staffed and the plugin approval process moves slow. But having a sectioned off forum for plugins we know have been checked through and are safe was ideal. I assume you must have just been tired of people bitching at you to look at their thread for approval. Saying that people might be afraid to try plugins in the new section is ridiculous. If anyone is afraid to try a plugin just because it hasn't been approved, they need to stop visiting this forum because they obviously have no idea what they are doing in the first place.

This change really isn't that big a deal but it's really irksome. I have no idea why people are praising this change on this thread. I guess it's the people who had plugins pending approval and were bothering you in the first place.

BAFFLED
Old 09-04-2015 , 13:09   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearts View Post
I realize you guys are under staffed and the plugin approval process moves slow.
It was at a point for a while where it was not moving slowly. It was not moving at all.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 09-04-2015 , 13:16   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Quote:
I liked being able to look through the new plugins forum to check out any thing new that might have been posted in the past day or so. It's going to be a lot more difficult to do this now as new threads will be pushed pages back by existing ones being bumped up.
Sort by "Thread Start Time" rather than "Last Post Time".

BAFFLED
Old 09-04-2015 , 13:16   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Quote:
I liked being able to look through the new plugins forum to check out any thing new that might have been posted in the past day or so.
The forum supports sorting by thread start date. Refer to the display options at the bottom of the page when viewing a subforum.

I also have some ideas for the future to increase plugin discoverability.

Quote:
Saying that people might be afraid to try plugins in the new section is ridiculous.
I agree that it borders on being ridiculous, but it was happening.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-04-2015 , 13:59   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Now that there is no New Plugins section, I have to find other things to be all passive aggressive about.

Last edited by Powerlord; 09-04-2015 at 13:59.
Fearts
ferts of daeth
Old 09-04-2015 , 17:22   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

I didn't know that was a filter option on the forums because I have never had to use it before. It's still slightly annoying that I have do that extra step each time but what ever I guess.

I still feel like it was a completely pointless change. It seems pretty obvious that this was done to stop complaining from the people who submit code to the forums and not any other reason you listed. Maybe that in and of itself justifies merging the forums, since they are the ones keeping it alive with content. I don't understand why they give a shit about their plugin being approved in the first place. Probably impossible, but I'd love to see some stats on how many accounts have never browsed or downloaded plugins from the new plugin section, I bet it's negligible.

Anyway I'm ranting about nothing now. I just don't like it and I use these forums a lot and I'm entitled to my opinion so fuck off.

BAFFLED
Old 09-04-2015 , 23:34   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Quote:
It seems pretty obvious that this was done to stop complaining from the people who submit code to the forums and not any other reason you listed.
You're surely entitled to your opinion, but here I'm not sure if you're accusing us of outright lying or just claiming that you know us better than we know ourselves.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-04-2015 , 23:36   Re: Changes - Part 1: Plugin Posts and Approval

Since we're on the subject of new releases, is it possible that we merge the MapChooser code from 1.8 to 1.7? Someone just pointed out to me that the NextMap plugin doesn't seem to get along well with the more descriptive names that TF2 Map Workshop maps can use. Case in point, "workshop/arena_byre.ugc454142123" has the last character cut off and that's one of the shortest map paths of a workshop map in long form.

A fix for this was merged into 1.8 back in late June as part of Pull Request #226.

Edit:
Code:
Server has been empty for 60 seconds on this map, cycling map as per mp_mapcycle_empty_timeout_seconds
CHANGE LEVEL: workshop/koth_frozenrails.ugc454366797
L 09/04/2015 - 01:18:16: [SM] Changed map to "workshop/arena_byre.ugc45414212"
[TF Workshop] Preparing map ID 45414212
[TF Workshop] Map ID 45414212 isn't tracked, adding
[TF Workshop] Tracked map 45414212 has no filename and will not sync
[TF Workshop] Map failed to sync, load will not go well :(
CModelLoader::Map_IsValid:  No such map 'maps/workshop/arena_byre.ugc45414212.bsp'
Unable to change level!

Last edited by Powerlord; 09-04-2015 at 23:38.
Closed Thread