1% 

AlliedModders now on GitHub

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 05-30-2014 , 10:33   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelgeby View Post
Are you going to switch branching workflow too? Maybe to something like this one: http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

What is the master branch? Does it represent a stable version ready for production at any time, or a development version?
I don't think a convention like this works for projects where the repository isn't usable for end-users out of the box, in a case like SourceMod where it's solely developer oriented, having master be the correct branch for development makes the most sense.

For something like a web application, or even a standalone C++ application, where installing it is equivalent to cloning the repo it makes complete sense to get a production release by default, not so much when you have to also get a mountain of dependencies, compile everything, and then move the binaries elsewhere (and likely to a completely different machine).

Last edited by asherkin; 05-30-2014 at 10:37.
selax
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-31-2014 , 08:58   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

GitHub its cool! Great job!
Old 05-31-2014 , 12:42   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

Very disappointed in this news being as packages are not ready for downloading and a user will have to download files one by one? I am sorry, but this is far from the normal way of getting the updates. Unless you guys are coming up with an auto update feature, we are going to have to drop use of this mod due to the unease of downloading of packages. Will keep using a snapshot build until it can no longer be used then we are done with any project which moves to GitHub. Ridicule me if you will, but when ever we have dealt with GitHub, getting files for packages has been too time consuming to get the complete package.

Thanks for the memories.

Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-31-2014 , 13:09   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krillin View Post
Very disappointed in this news being as packages are not ready for downloading and a user will have to download files one by one? I am sorry, but this is far from the normal way of getting the updates. Unless you guys are coming up with an auto update feature, we are going to have to drop use of this mod due to the unease of downloading of packages. Will keep using a snapshot build until it can no longer be used then we are done with any project which moves to GitHub. Ridicule me if you will, but when ever we have dealt with GitHub, getting files for packages has been too time consuming to get the complete package.

Thanks for the memories.
New snapshot builds are added every time the code changes, which is how it's always worked.

As for downloading the entire source tree...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	github_download.png
Views:	1122
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	133983  

Last edited by Powerlord; 05-31-2014 at 13:09.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 05-31-2014 , 15:22   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krillin View Post

Thanks for the memories.
Nothing has changed from a user perspective, you'll still download releases and snapshots from SourceMod.net. Just like you never needed to touch hg.alliedmods.net, you never need to touch GitHub to use SourceMod.
Old 06-02-2014 , 05:05   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

Were there any benefits? So far i only see people complaining and searching for complicated workarounds for things that were natural and easy in the past
Send a message via ICQ to xf117
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 06-02-2014 , 08:01   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

Quote:
Originally Posted by xf117 View Post
Were there any benefits? So far i only see people complaining and searching for complicated workarounds for things that were natural and easy in the past
I see one instance of confusing, a developer trying to figure out how to adjust to the new workflow, and two complaints. Of those two complaints, one was completely offtopic and unrelated to this, and the other seemed to be a nonsensical rant based on some bad assumptions. All other comments are positive.

With moving to git, we have a better workflow now for development. Through GitHub, the project gets more exposure, and it's much easier for users to contribute to SM. Since the switch, I think that there have already been at least two commits by people that had never contributed patches before. It is also much easier for other to merge those requests, changing a multi-step process to a single button click.
xf117
Old 06-02-2014 , 12:34   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

I remember in the past couple of people were asking about switching to git and they were treated kinda cold: like - the whole community uses HG and no reason to mix things up.

Sorry for passive-agressive comment, i still prefer HG over git. Still, it is a good thing if it benefits the project
Send a message via ICQ to xf117
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 06-02-2014 , 12:44   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

Quote:
Originally Posted by xf117 View Post
I remember in the past couple of people were asking about switching to git and they were treated kinda cold: like - the whole community uses HG and no reason to mix things up.

Sorry for passive-agressive comment, i still prefer HG over git. Still, it is a good thing if it benefits the project
I still prefer HG as well, but much of that is because I'm not terribly familiar with git yet.

Most of the other devs are, and I saw this as a good opportunity to learn, in addition to the other benefits.
rhelgeby
Veteran Member
Old 06-02-2014 , 17:23   Re: AlliedModders now on GitHub

Although Git has a steeper learning curve, I think Git is much better than Mercurial once you get to know it. Far more superior regarding branching and lots of other stuff.

Zombie:Reloaded | PawnUnit | Object Library
(Please don't send private messages for support, they will be ignored. Use the forum.)

Last edited by rhelgeby; 06-02-2014 at 17:24.
Send a message via MSN to rhelgeby
Closed Thread