Raised This Month: $7 Target: $400
 1% 

Development Roundup and More!

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

PartialCloning
Old 04-30-2017 , 15:46   Re: Development Roundup and More!

Where did the other guy's comment go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headline View Post
Must be easy to judge a community that you're not a part of. SourceMod isn't exclusive to CS:GO, and CS:GO's quirks/limitations would never halt SourceMod development.
What makes you think I'm not a part of it? Not posting in the sourcemod section isn't a good indicator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headline View Post
It is.
I was talking to the sourcemod maintainers, if it's worth their time continuing the development of sourcemod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
I can assure you that we're perfectly capable of deciding for ourselves how to use our time.
Yeah, nowhere did I say you aren't capable but it seems like less and less players are focused on custom content and more into what valve provides such as operations and skins.

Quote:
Create one or more new MM:S plugins that just extend the VScript scripting API that already exists in the engine, exposing an admin API and whatever other functionality is missing. No existing scripts would work, but the base of the scripting API is a first-class citizen and would have a much smaller chance of breaking with a game update, as Valve would be maintaining the bulk of it.
What would be the draw backs to that approach? If I understood correctly it works alongside the scripting system for source2, but would it be limited to what the script allows?

On a side note can you allow github issues for amxmodx or would that have to go through Arkshine?

Last edited by PartialCloning; 04-30-2017 at 15:47.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 04-30-2017 , 15:55   Re: Development Roundup and More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartialCloning View Post
He deleted it himself. I re-deleted it, removing the deletion reason, as it was just a summary of the post itself, which was offtopic and snarky.

Quote:
Quote:
Create one or more new MM:S plugins that just extend the VScript scripting API that already exists in the engine, exposing an admin API and whatever other functionality is missing. No existing scripts would work, but the base of the scripting API is a first-class citizen and would have a much smaller chance of breaking with a game update, as Valve would be maintaining the bulk of it.
What would be the draw backs to that approach? If I understood correctly it works alongside the scripting system for source2, but would it be limited to what the script allows?
Yes. You would start with the existing API that Valve provides, but then could extend it, similar to how SourceMod extensions or AMX Mod X modules work.

The biggest downside is that no part of existing scripts will continue to function, and users may have to learn a new scripting language. The scripting language may not even be the same between games. (The API wouldn't necessarily be either, even for common functions, but our extended API could be). For example, CS:GO currently uses Squirrel and Dota 2 uses Lua.

Quote:
On a side note can you allow github issues for amxmodx or would that have to go through Arkshine?
I could, but it would indeed be much better to go through Arkshine.
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 04-30-2017 , 17:59   Re: Development Roundup and More!

Quote:
Quote:
He deleted it himself. I re-deleted it, removing the deletion reason, as it was just a summary of the post itself, which was offtopic and snarky.
Sorry I had made a comment in regards to the whole "CSGO dev community has been awful" thing, specifically speaking out against the selling of plugins for CS:GO that blatantly go against Valve's wishes which include fake knife/weapon skin plugins, fake medal/rank plugins, etc. I edited the post a few times to change the wording to be as neutral as possible so it didn't read like an attack piece, but in the end I decided to just delete the post. In my infinite cannabis wisdom, I decided to be Mr. Funny Guy and actually name names in regards to the selling "fake <thing>" plugins and such in the deletion reason of my post which was very stupid of me to do. I had also wondered why the "deleted" remnant of my post had seemingly disappeared almost instantly. Now I know.

I know I can get very opinionated and stubborn sometimes and in cases like with my earlier post, it was a case of me figuring it'd be hilarious to call someone out in the deletion reason. I've been trying to distance myself from that silly childish crap that I used to partake in over the years which got me banned from a few communities, but I slip up sometimes. I now find myself typing up responses to heated debates and the like, only to think "why bother" and delete everything I had typed up. Before, I would wholeheartedly defend my viewpoint on the subject even if it meant a bunch of silly drama got started. I look back at my time in some of the communities I used to be a part of, and I regret how my time in those communities came to an end due to my own silliness.

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 04-30-2017 at 18:15.
wwahgnerbp
Old 05-01-2017 , 02:52   Re: Development Roundup and More!

The relations between Valve and CSGO community isn't friendly. Valve as a company seeks for profits. In the moment that certain server owners decide to attack their profits by using WS/Knife plugins they are just ruining Valve's business. Before CSGO Valve used to earn money by selling fresh copies of CSS for example. Now the most of their revenue comes from the skins market. Sometimes I want do deny to myself how this story will end but they will have to do something. The Token bans haven't being able to fix the issue. This engine change will be the final blow.

Last edited by wwahgnerbp; 05-01-2017 at 02:53.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 05-01-2017 , 07:48   Re: Development Roundup and More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwahgnerbp View Post
The relations between Valve and CSGO community isn't friendly. Valve as a company seeks for profits. In the moment that certain server owners decide to attack their profits by using WS/Knife plugins they are just ruining Valve's business.
While they certainly make a huge amount of profit from the Steam Economy, the banning for skin/knife plugins is because it devalues the items that other players have legitimately, not because of lost profits for them. It hurts those players, giving them a bad experience. This is particularly true for rare items, like knives.

Last edited by psychonic; 05-01-2017 at 07:50.
stickz
Old 05-01-2017 , 13:09   Re: Development Roundup and More!

I think the SM 1.8 plugin loading logic broke something. I made the first issue report on Github.
joshtrav
Old 05-08-2017 , 16:38   Re: Development Roundup and More!

Posted these in IRC, but it may be better fielded here in this thread:

Code:
[12:27] <josh_> I was very interested in the post regarding support for Source2 on the forums, and had a question regarding whether or not there had been much discussion on extension support as well going forward
[12:27] <josh_> it seemed like option 2 - the more wrapper style approach to existing items within the game would be unavailable, but options 1 and 3 seemed like they could
[12:28] <josh_> I know that INativeInvoker was deprecated in the past, curious if the function calling alternative (name has spaced my mind at the moment) would be on the list of potential inclusions
[12:37] <josh_> I am also curious if there is anyone with more in-depth knowledge of extension coding that may be available for freelance effort in lieu of these potential changes (should I have not time personally)
Disregard, it seems IRC was a viable place to ask questions. Responses in case anyone else was interested:

Code:
[12:43] <@asherkin> josh_: I'm not sure what you're asking really
[12:43] <@asherkin> McKay: you can pool among plugins mixing threaded and non-threaded queries
[12:44] <josh_> asherkin: in the current sourcemod, I can call functions defined in sourcemod through an extension, in the past I could also do that with natives.  I was curious if any forethought was put into extensions in the future (source2) having such capabilities
[12:45] <josh_> I apologize if that still doesn't make much sense
[12:45] <BotoX> with a little hax you can also call natives
[12:45] <BotoX> that is modified sourcemod
[12:46] <BotoX> https://p.botox.bz/view/941ba248
[12:46] <BotoX> not complete™
[12:46] <josh_> I am not super concerned, we made due with the function availability - I am just trying to forecast if our current extension can be modified to suit a potentially new environment, and while I realize its rather early, was hoping to discern if any opinions had already been made in this regard
[12:46] <+McKay> Doesn't sound so bad to me as long as nobody is using synchronous queries
[12:46] <@asherkin> INativeInvoker was removed because it is only useful for embedding other languages in SM
[12:46] <+McKay> I certainly wouldn't want to run a plugin that did
[12:46] <@asherkin> it is far too early to discuss that in the context of Source2
[12:46] <BotoX> <asherkin> INativeInvoker was removed because it is useful
[12:47] <josh_> correct asherkin , which is what we had been doing.  We still do this via the function call, and make a Glue plugin (per psychonic
[12:47] <josh_> 's recommendation)

Last edited by joshtrav; 05-08-2017 at 16:50.
Closed Thread