Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Any way to force a game extension to load outside its mod? (TF2 Ext -> TF2 Sourcemod)

Post New Thread Reply   

AlphaBlaster
Old 09-18-2018 , 02:14   Any way to force a game extension to load outside its mod? (TF2 Ext -> TF2 Sourcemod)
Reply With Quote #1

I'm attempting to run a SourceMod plugin for Team Fortress 2 in a source mod (Not SourceMod the server addon, but as in a mod for source) that uses TF2 as a base (Specifically TF2008) and when "sm load"ing the plugin I am of course met with the frustratingly familiar error of: "Required Extension 'TF2 Tools' not running."
When trying to load game.tf2.ext.dll it refuses because the mod is not technically TF2. Now, ideally, this should in fact work if it weren't for the technicality that "tf2008" is not literally "tf2." "Cannot load TF2 extension on mods other than TF2."

The plugin and anything within the extension I would expect to work perfectly if only it could be enabled with a workaround for the technicality that this is a sourcemod rather than the actual bonafide TF2. Hence the title, is there any possible way to just force the extension to load? I don't know how to create an extension and doubt such an effort would be necessary for just an older version of TF2, so that's not really an option. Thanks in advance, though I doubt there is a method of doing this.

Last edited by AlphaBlaster; 09-18-2018 at 02:17.
nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 09-18-2018 , 02:35   Re: Any way to force a game extension to load outside its mod? (TF2 Ext -> TF2 Source
Reply With Quote #2

The extension does these checks. It checks that the game folder is "tf" and that the CTFPlayer server class and the DT_TFPlayerShared data table both exist. You're getting the first error message, so the game folder check is failing.

Even if you do manage to get it loaded, you'd still have to make sure all the gamedata is correct for your mod, which is unlikely to be the case.

If you can find someone that is interested in the project, I'd recommend forking the SourceMod codebase (just for the extension), patching the folder checks in the extension and any plugins that do their own, and maintaining your own gamedata files.

Last edited by nosoop; 09-18-2018 at 02:54.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 09-18-2018 , 19:33   Re: Any way to force a game extension to load outside its mod? (TF2 Ext -> TF2 Source
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBlaster View Post
The plugin and anything within the extension I would expect to work perfectly if only it could be enabled with a workaround for the technicality that this is a sourcemod rather than the actual bonafide TF2.
I highly doubt it, it is gamedata heavy and thus tied to a specific release TF2 (the latest one), which is not your compile of the TF2 game code on the sdk2013 engine, and definitely not your compile of some old leaked TF2 game code and a ton of modifications on the sdk2013 engine.

As nosoop says, you're almost certainly going to need to fork the extension to add support for your mod, alongside a full set of core and extension gamedata for the rest of SM - if the mod becomes moderately popular we can take those changes upstream, but it needs to prove itself first.