Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Why lock this thread?

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

UndocumentedScripter
Old 06-09-2007 , 22:05   Why lock this thread?

Why is this thread locked?
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=56231

ES isn't afraid of you posting on their forum.... pretty childish, don't you think?

UndocumentedScripter

Doing the job that SM scripters won't/can't do.
BAILOPAN
Old 06-09-2007 , 22:41   Re: Why lock this thread?

This thread was locked because it was a troll/flame thread. Again, feel free to discuss the technical merits of the article. If you're going to attack the article simply because you don't like it, or feel that non-technical parts or wording of the article are undeserved, please send me a PM with your concerns.

We're open to changes in the article, but it's meant to be a purely technical one, and we're not open to flame wars about communities.

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 06-09-2007 at 22:44.
UndocumentedScripter
Old 06-09-2007 , 23:04   Re: Why lock this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
This thread was locked because it was a troll/flame thread. Again, feel free to discuss the technical merits of the article. If you're going to attack the article simply because you don't like it, or feel that non-technical parts or wording of the article are undeserved, please send me a PM with your concerns.

We're open to changes in the article, but it's meant to be a purely technical one, and we're not open to flame wars about communities.
This is in no way meant as a flame. I'm just trying to understand why you felt the need to knock a different plugin as a means to promote your own. What ES and SM are trying to do are very different things. Mattie has never promoted ES as being an end all do all speed demon addon for CS, but for some reason you feel the need to put down what ES has done. If you think that showing how much faster SM is at doing an un-realistic situation in CS (the math comparison) is going to somehow promote SM, then so be it. But seriously, you guys have got a ways to go yet. I've spent at least 2 - 3 hours here trying to find anything that can replace what I use ES for, and it just isn't here. Maybe you should step back and work on putting out some useful stuff before you start knocking ES.

UndocumentedScripter
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 06-09-2007 , 23:17   Re: Why lock this thread?

I'd like to point out that there have been benchmarks for SourcePawn vs other languages (including Pawn on amxx, another AlliedMods plugin)

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers
UndocumentedScripter
Old 06-09-2007 , 23:27   Re: Why lock this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMongoose View Post
I'd like to point out that there have been benchmarks for SourcePawn vs other languages (including Pawn on amxx, another AlliedMods plugin)
What do benchmarks have to do with anything I have said? What's the benchmark of ES GunGame vs. SM GunGame?... Oh yeah....

Mongoose, seeing as your the one that started this whole thing at the Steam forums, why don't you at least come to ES and make your point there? They won't bite your head off. Many of us there are actually looking forward to SM, but the way you guys are going so far, you just may be killing a lot of your potential users.

Just be reasonable, we're all after the same goal... making CS better for all.

UndocumentedScripter
BAILOPAN
Old 06-09-2007 , 23:29   Re: Why lock this thread?

It is a technical article about the importance of proper scripting implementation and optimization, whether Mattie promoted it as optimized or not, it is the result of our research and findings.

If you feel that a particular part is unfair to EventScripts, let me know (but saying the article is unfair because you like EventScripts isn't the point of our research).

What couldn't you find in SourceMod's scripting platform?
Old 06-09-2007 , 23:31   Re: Why lock this thread?

FYI: There is nothing unrealistic about anything in the article. Every script will do commands, variable lookups, and/or math.
Old 06-09-2007 , 23:46   Re: Why lock this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
I

If you feel that a particular part is unfair to EventScripts, let me know (but saying the article is unfair because you like EventScripts isn't the point of our research).

What couldn't you find in SourceMod's scripting platform?
I never said anything was "unfair", and I do realize the point of your "research"... to show that a compiled code is faster than a shell... so what... everyone knows that... nothing new.

As far as what I couldn't find... how about a simple mapvote ... or betting... or a bank script... should I continue? If all you're looking to do is make a copy of Mani, then so be it. But seriously, so far it sounds like you're trying to generate unwarrented interest. Remember... " If you build it, they will come..."

UndocumentedScripter
BAILOPAN
Old 06-09-2007 , 23:54   Re: Why lock this thread?

As a scripting platform, SourceMod is capable of creating any of those things. If you're interested in learning how we can certainly help.

I have made a decision to tone down the article by a large amount. I have removed some of the harsher text and removed the link from the front page.

However, remember that "compiled code" is not pre-compiled code. For example, PHP is compiled internally, as is Perl, Python, Ruby, or any other scripting language. SourceMod is pre-compiled but it could be compiled on the fly as well.

Our article shows the importance of compiling syntax internally (i.e., having a virtual machine). That is a serious issue for people who need to develop high performance software (i.e., anyone investing in hardware for running servers), and we feel it's important to let the public know this. I work for a company where hundreds of thousands of dollars are spent on equipment -- we make sure our code runs fast so we don't have to waste it.
Old 06-10-2007 , 00:04   Re: Why lock this thread?

Finally, we've reached common ground.

I will continue to see what SM has to offer, as well as ES... both can co-exist. Now on to the Wiki.

Thank you Bailopan,

UndocumentedScripter
Closed Thread