Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

thinking about going full linux

Post New Thread Reply   

Infamanious
Old 06-12-2022 , 23:21   thinking about going full linux
Reply With Quote #1

Im tired of windows inability to achieve 1000 ticrate displayed as fps in the hlds console window. I'm running a Intel i5-7200U 2.5 GHz with 8 gigs of ram and a 100mb/s connection on a laptop with windows server ( might upgrade to 500mb/s ). Not much is going on in terms of cpu usage or memory..im using like 2 gigs of ram and 5 percent cpu. The fps stays above 500 but doesn't go about 800..typically 500-780ish. If i were to install debian or ubuntu server ( which should use like 400 mbs of ram natively) would i be able to achieve a solid constant 1000 fps?

Last edited by Infamanious; 06-12-2022 at 23:21.
CryWolf
Veteran Member
Old 06-13-2022 , 08:12   Re: thinking about going full linux
Reply With Quote #2

Constant ~1000 fps ? :O mabye you can if it is only the server stored in that machine, and you will need to use a high frequency kernel (custom build better) or the one offered by LiquorX or XanMod.
Send a message via MSN to CryWolf Send a message via Yahoo to CryWolf
Marttt
Veteran Member
Old 06-13-2022 , 17:23   Re: thinking about going full linux
Reply With Quote #3

You probably neither will notice the difference from 500 to 1000
Old 06-13-2022 , 23:05   Re: thinking about going full linux
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryWolf View Post
Constant ~1000 fps ? :O mabye you can if it is only the server stored in that machine, and you will need to use a high frequency kernel (custom build better) or the one offered by LiquorX or XanMod.
right now im not using a desktop environment with debians default kernel and so far i have nginx , ftp and a few other progs and my memory is still below 200mb lol. I'll test out liquorX since they have pretty decent benchmarks for intel i5 processors. Also i've yet start up HLDS leggoo!

Last edited by Infamanious; 06-13-2022 at 23:09.
Infamanious
Old 06-15-2022 , 22:01   Re: thinking about going full linux
Reply With Quote #5

Well that was fun..going headless with debian linux and linuxgsm. Turns out some plugins just work better on windows. For example. I can have 900 maps on deagsmapmanager and not notice any lag or hang on a windows server, but with debian/linux there are noticeable hangs during player connect and after player join. Dang! I was really digging the <200 mb of ram usage.

After a server restart and map i'll get 100 % cpu usage for about 15-20 seconds. The length and amount of time this takes place is dependent on how big my allmaps.txt/mapcycles map list is. The problem also doesn't occur when deagsmapmanager plugin is disabled.

Last edited by Infamanious; 06-15-2022 at 22:09.
CryWolf
Veteran Member
Old 06-16-2022 , 07:47   Re: thinking about going full linux
Reply With Quote #6

You need to have SSD or Sata M.2 NvME !
Also you need to have fstrim enabled for SSD to work at full power on Linux (google it)

Im using to Debian 10 (buster) for my website (signature) and 10 gameservers for like 2 years now (never expirenced something like that)
Im getting verry good/stable fps with the default 4.X kernel on my hawk

But as a help to reply, you can always install tuned , tuned-utils and use for a better responsive system
Code:
tuned-adm profile latency-performance
it will make CPU work at 90% all the time will consume more power but will be a 50% faster, and verry quick network responsive.
Send a message via MSN to CryWolf Send a message via Yahoo to CryWolf
Infamanious
Old 06-17-2022 , 18:38   Re: thinking about going full linux
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryWolf View Post
You need to have SSD or Sata M.2 NvME !
Also you need to have fstrim enabled for SSD to work at full power on Linux (google it)

Im using to Debian 10 (buster) for my website (signature) and 10 gameservers for like 2 years now (never expirenced something like that)
Im getting verry good/stable fps with the default 4.X kernel on my hawk

But as a help to reply, you can always install tuned , tuned-utils and use for a better responsive system
Code:
tuned-adm profile latency-performance
it will make CPU work at 90% all the time will consume more power but will be a 50% faster, and verry quick network responsive.

Well now I'm using xanmod and tuned adm with latency profile ...I decided to use Galileo's map plugin as well so hang issue isn't a problem now. Fortunately I get a constant 2000 fps

Last edited by Infamanious; 06-17-2022 at 18:42.
Infamanious
Old 06-17-2022 , 18:38   Re: thinking about going full linux
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marttt View Post
You probably neither will notice the difference from 500 to 1000
Overseas players notice the response time. It's especially noticeable while concing in tfc as well.