Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Xeon-Intel I Proc-AMD Processors INFO

Post New Thread Reply   

Sincronic
Old 01-15-2019 , 07:45   Xeon-Intel I Proc-AMD Processors INFO
Reply With Quote #1

Hello guys !! I think there are many people intrested about this.

I am planing to upgrade one of my servers, to change it entirely. For the moment i am runing on 2 poweredge r410 with 2 cpus Xeon X5672, 8GB of rams, this processors done there job very well till 2 years ago . OS Linux.

So, i know, i need more GHz on each core. But, beside GHz what we need to know more ? What tipe of processor is best for hosting srdcs ? I think that not just GHz matters..
I am asking because i am hosting on my own, and i can make any hardware configuration.

Sorry for my bad english !
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 01-15-2019 , 09:03   Re: Xeon-Intel I Proc-AMD Processors INFO
Reply With Quote #2

Host what games? How many and size?

HL2 games are still old 32bit programs.

I would say, you need high clocks and good single thread performance.
https://m.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

But, lets listen, what others have to say, own experience.

Last edited by Bacardi; 01-15-2019 at 09:04.
Lubricant Jam
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-18-2019 , 06:13   Re: Xeon-Intel I Proc-AMD Processors INFO
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
Host what games? How many and size?

HL2 games are still old 32bit programs.

I would say, you need high clocks and good single thread performance.
https://m.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

But, lets listen, what others have to say, own experience.
Exactly this, high clock speed & best single core performance. It also depends on how many servers you're looking to run.

If you are looking to run 1-2 servers, I'd say the i3–7350K as it's a 2 core processor @ 4.2 GHz stock.

If you are looking to run 5-6 servers, I'd say the i7-6700K as it's a 4 core processor @ 4.2 GHz stock.

If you are looking to run 8-9 servers, I'd say the i7-8700K as it's a 6 core processor @ 4.7 GHz stock.

I personally use the i7-8700K and have done a lot of tinkering to manage to get around 10 servers out of my CPU on the base frequency and it handles amazingly. I have tried to get around 15 servers on there at one point and it did work, it was unstable at times thus reducing the load and now having two 8700K servers.

There's a lot of factors that come into play and obviously a load more CPUs out there with better base frequencies and single core performance however these are ones I have all used for various source engine servers and they're also widely available at most baremetal services.

Last edited by Lubricant Jam; 01-18-2019 at 06:18.
Sincronic
Old 01-19-2019 , 16:40   Re: Xeon-Intel I Proc-AMD Processors INFO
Reply With Quote #4

Tnx guys for the replay !

@Bacardi, CS GO servers.

I am asking for CS GO servers. I am not looking to host 10-15 servers, i am looking to find out what proceesor can handle on a single core the maximum players on tickrate 102 -128 tickrate.
I saw that 1 player can get like 120-150mhz from core at 128 tickrate with my current configuration . My target is: 1 server/core, 40 players, 128 tickrate.
With X5672 i can host with small variations of SV and VAR on tickrate 102, 26 players on a single core, and 18 players on 128 tickrate.
The OS can make a big diffrence ? between windows and linux. I am a fan of linux, i have not tried windows, never.

@Lubricant Jam, have u calculate the consumption of mhz for a player ?
Lubricant Jam
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-21-2019 , 05:33   Re: Xeon-Intel I Proc-AMD Processors INFO
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincronic View Post
Tnx guys for the replay !

@Bacardi, CS GO servers.

I am asking for CS GO servers. I am not looking to host 10-15 servers, i am looking to find out what proceesor can handle on a single core the maximum players on tickrate 102 -128 tickrate.
I saw that 1 player can get like 120-150mhz from core at 128 tickrate with my current configuration . My target is: 1 server/core, 40 players, 128 tickrate.
With X5672 i can host with small variations of SV and VAR on tickrate 102, 26 players on a single core, and 18 players on 128 tickrate.
The OS can make a big diffrence ? between windows and linux. I am a fan of linux, i have not tried windows, never.

@Lubricant Jam, have u calculate the consumption of mhz for a player ?
You can't to my knowledge however the first CPU I alerted you should be fine. I ran a 128 slot, 16 tick Garry's Mod server on this CPU. (16 tick due to networking issues on the game and reduced physics)

Last edited by Lubricant Jam; 01-21-2019 at 05:34.
Sincronic
Old 01-22-2019 , 09:03   Re: Xeon-Intel I Proc-AMD Processors INFO
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubricant Jam View Post
You can't to my knowledge however the first CPU I alerted you should be fine. I ran a 128 slot, 16 tick Garry's Mod server on this CPU. (16 tick due to networking issues on the game and reduced physics)
Are u using SSD ? And at what DDR MHz are u runing ?
Lubricant Jam
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-22-2019 , 14:37   Re: Xeon-Intel I Proc-AMD Processors INFO
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincronic View Post
Are u using SSD ? And at what DDR MHz are u runing ?
Of course I am running on an SSD, two SSDs in RAID-0. DDR4 as that's the only RAM you can use with an 8700k @ 2400MHz.
Old 02-10-2019 , 17:38   Re: Xeon-Intel I Proc-AMD Processors INFO
Reply With Quote #8

@Lubricant Jam, thnx to being so nice !

I decided, for processor it will be i5-9600k, price-performance are ok. And i have a question about DDR4; The processor on intel site specifications, is working with ddr4 2666mhz, it will make the differnce if put to my configuration ddr4 over 2666mhz.. like 3200mhz overclocke ? or is a waste of money? ram Mhz don't make any difference ?