Game server provider - reviews

Post New Thread Reply   

sinblaster
Grim Reaper
Old 11-16-2011 , 15:54   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsen View Post
I also forgot to mention, please comment on whether they offer linux servers. We would prefer not to redo all of our stuff for a windows setup.
Sounds more like you want everyone to do the hard yard for you. You're too lazy to run a server.

Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 11-16-2011 , 15:55   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinblaster View Post
Sounds more like you want everyone to do the hard yard for you. You're too lazy to run a server.
Actually, he has a very valid point. It's a pain in the butt getting a server working again completely on a different operating system with the same functionality as before.
Old 11-16-2011 , 16:09   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
Actually, he has a very valid point. It's a pain in the butt getting a server working again completely on a different operating system with the same functionality as before.
It's not really that hard... you just have to update the bin/ directory files and any extensions you have installed.
Old 11-16-2011 , 16:09   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinblaster View Post
I know, right?! LOL. Maybe we should eliminate every thread on the forum and have a redirect: pointing to google.

Jstn7477
Old 11-16-2011 , 18:55   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackliu92 View Post
Few questions for you about NFO:
1. How stable is their VDS/VPS?
2. How fast do you get? 1000 mbps private? shared? or other?
3. What does it mean by InterNAP?
4. How fast is their CPU, each core? [in Ghz]
5. Which VDS do you need if you want to run two 24 Slots TF2 servers?
6. What is your rate setting for source games?

EDIT: added:
7. Is there a different hosting games on NFO VPS/VDS and hosting games on Dedicated server?
8. Is there any lag spike on your server?
1. Very stable, I've only had my VDSs shut down maybe twice for Xen upgrades or whatever. Sometimes they may have InterNAP come in and upgrade a switch or whatever, but they let you know in advance.
2. I think it's probably shared LAN, but no problems with it at all. They used to have some DDoS issues once in a while but after upgrading their switches from 1Gbps to 10Gbps I haven't been nailed with any DDoS issues as far as I can tell.
3. InterNAP is their internet services provider/network provider. They provide high speed connections throughout the US and manage the networking equipment afaik.
4. I think the 1/2 core VDS are on machines running 2.26GHz Xeons, 8 cores per node (Nehalem aka 1st gen i7). The 3 core server I ordered got placed on something a lot faster on a 12 core node I believe. Probably Westmere or even Sandy Bridge core Xeons.
5. 2 core ($50). I tried with a 1 core a few months ago and the FPS was very unstable. I'm also able to comfortably run a Killing Floor server with my 2 24 slot Replay enabled TF2 servers, and that's about all I can afford with 2GB of memory. CPU usage is about 60-70% tops with all 3 servers full.
Code:
// General HL Cvars
sv_maxrate 0
sv_minrate 100000
sv_maxupdaterate 100
sv_maxcmdrate 100
sv_timeout 120

// disable lag compensation
//sv_unlag 1

heartbeat

// important settings inserted by NFo
sv_stats 0
sv_region 0
fps_max 0

sv_parallel_packentities 0
sv_parallel_sendsnapshot 0

net_queued_packet_thread 1

net_splitpacket_maxrate 50000
sv_password ""
log 1
tv_enable 0
sv_minupdaterate 10
sv_max_queries_sec 3
sv_max_queries_sec_global 100000
7. You can install any game NFO offers on a VDS on your VDS. I have run TF2, Killing Floor, Left 4 Dead 2 and stuff on mine ("1 click" installed the games)
8. Very rarely, although I doubt it's NFO's fault. All the other GSPs I used either rubber banded, lagged or had choke out the ass.

If you wish, join any of my TF2 pubs at http://www.trashedgamers.org/ (I'm not here to advertise my community, as trust me, I get my fair share of players. I just wish to offer testing of the NFO VDS game servers I run in my community for Alliedmodders folks wishing to possibly use NFO). The ones in NYC/Chicago are managed Windows and the Denver one is an unmanaged (only option available for 1 core VDS) Windows. The Atlanta one is not an NFO server so don't bother joining.
Old 11-16-2011 , 19:23   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstn7477 View Post
1. Very stable, I've only had my VDSs shut down maybe twice for Xen upgrades or whatever. Sometimes they may have InterNAP come in and upgrade a switch or whatever, but they let you know in advance.
2. I think it's probably shared LAN, but no problems with it at all. They used to have some DDoS issues once in a while but after upgrading their switches from 1Gbps to 10Gbps I haven't been nailed with any DDoS issues as far as I can tell.
3. InterNAP is their internet services provider/network provider. They provide high speed connections throughout the US and manage the networking equipment afaik.
4. I think the 1/2 core VDS are on machines running 2.26GHz Xeons, 8 cores per node (Nehalem aka 1st gen i7). The 3 core server I ordered got placed on something a lot faster on a 12 core node I believe. Probably Westmere or even Sandy Bridge core Xeons.
5. 2 core ($50). I tried with a 1 core a few months ago and the FPS was very unstable. I'm also able to comfortably run a Killing Floor server with my 2 24 slot Replay enabled TF2 servers, and that's about all I can afford with 2GB of memory. CPU usage is about 60-70% tops with all 3 servers full.
Code:
// General HL Cvars
sv_maxrate 0
sv_minrate 100000
sv_maxupdaterate 100
sv_maxcmdrate 100
sv_timeout 120

// disable lag compensation
//sv_unlag 1

heartbeat

// important settings inserted by NFo
sv_stats 0
sv_region 0
fps_max 0

sv_parallel_packentities 0
sv_parallel_sendsnapshot 0

net_queued_packet_thread 1

net_splitpacket_maxrate 50000
sv_password ""
log 1
tv_enable 0
sv_minupdaterate 10
sv_max_queries_sec 3
sv_max_queries_sec_global 100000
7. You can install any game NFO offers on a VDS on your VDS. I have run TF2, Killing Floor, Left 4 Dead 2 and stuff on mine ("1 click" installed the games)
8. Very rarely, although I doubt it's NFO's fault. All the other GSPs I used either rubber banded, lagged or had choke out the ass.

If you wish, join any of my TF2 pubs at http://www.trashedgamers.org/ (I'm not here to advertise my community, as trust me, I get my fair share of players. I just wish to offer testing of the NFO VDS game servers I run in my community for Alliedmodders folks wishing to possibly use NFO). The ones in NYC/Chicago are managed Windows and the Denver one is an unmanaged (only option available for 1 core VDS) Windows. The Atlanta one is not an NFO server so don't bother joining.
Thank you so much for replying and answer all my questions. Still having two questions, 1st can you install other stuff on ur VDS, ie hosting FTP, private proxy for personal use. And how much bandwidth do u use each month per server with ur rate setting? I will take consideration on NFO if in any chance I decide to change my GSP.
Old 11-16-2011 , 19:37   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackliu92 View Post
Thank you so much for replying and answer all my questions. Still having two questions, 1st can you install other stuff on ur VDS, ie hosting FTP, private proxy for personal use. And how much bandwidth do u use each month per server with ur rate setting? I will take consideration on NFO if in any chance I decide to change my GSP.
Only on an "Unmanaged VDS" you can install other software as long as it is legal (and doesn't conflict with the few things in the NFO ToS). My 2 core managed VDS used a maximum of 1350 GB total B/W once when the 2 TF2 servers and KF server on there were hot stuff and full 24/7 in September. Usually it's about 800-1000 GB/month.

By the way, all NFO servers come with default FTP access to the game servers where you can edit the files pertinent to that game install. On unmanaged servers you need to install your own FTP server. They also have an awesome deal right now on servers (I will not describe it in this post due to possible advertising infractions, please see their homepage yourself).

Last edited by Jstn7477; 11-16-2011 at 19:38.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-16-2011 , 19:49   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstn7477 View Post
Only on an "Unmanaged VDS" you can install other software as long as it is legal (and doesn't conflict with the few things in the NFO ToS). My 2 core managed VDS used a maximum of 1350 GB total B/W once when the 2 TF2 servers and KF server on there were hot stuff and full 24/7 in September. Usually it's about 800-1000 GB/month.

By the way, all NFO servers come with default FTP access to the game servers where you can edit the files pertinent to that game install. On unmanaged servers you need to install your own FTP server. They also have an awesome deal right now on servers (I will not describe it in this post due to possible advertising infractions, please see their homepage yourself).
It seriously requires a 2 core server for 2 TF2 servers? I wonder if that's because they're HT cores and not real cores (1 real core = 2 HT cores).
Old 11-16-2011 , 20:08   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
It seriously requires a 2 core server for 2 TF2 servers? I wonder if that's because they're HT cores and not real cores (1 real core = 2 HT cores).
I am currently hosting two 24 slots TF2 servers (Replays enabled) with Intel Duo Processor E4500(2.20Ghz each). Only running basic SM, SMAC, SteamBans, DAF plugins on the server. Public slots only 22. My CPU usage is about 60-70% when both servers r full. The load average on my linux is around 3-4. So I guess one core is not enough for two TF2 servers.
Old 11-16-2011 , 20:23   Re: Game server provider - reviews
Reply With Quote #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
Well, just over a month ago they got the ability to sell Xen VPS's, I'm going to guess that you probably used OpenVZ. OpenVZ is okay for web servers (my web server works fine), but Xen is the only way to host a game server or anything more intensive than web hosting.

I've had a great experience with them so far, I'm not sure what's going on with everyone else...
I was speaking of its network, not its performance. Obviously the performance of an OpenVZ server is terrible. If you were to look back at my post, I mentioned nothing about the performance of the Xen servers that they offer. Who knows, they could be some powerful servers, but if you really want to provide good ping to people who reside in the U.S., don't use their network.

Last edited by Russianeer; 11-16-2011 at 20:30.