Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

How does language selection work? A way to... optimize it, not to use random language

Post New Thread Reply   

newn
BANNED
Old 12-30-2010 , 05:02   How does language selection work? A way to... optimize it, not to use random language
Reply With Quote #1

Hi everyone. I'm wondering, how does it work? Sometimes, I was getting Russian messages instead of English for my region, as well, as other players. Then I had to delete it. Now, I translated some things, which I think should be in my language, and put it in the server configuration. However, it still writes English. I put the letters into the core.cfg file.

Anyway, that's not the point, I'd like to ask: how does the selection work? How it selects, which language should be used for the user? How could I make selected language be used for selected country, and English for countries, there's no language?
Seta00
The Seta00 user has crashed.
Old 12-30-2010 , 08:34   Re: How does language selection work? A way to... optimize it, not to use random lang
Reply With Quote #2

Steam assigns the cl_language cvar on the client according to the language set on the Steam configuration.
newn
BANNED
Old 12-30-2010 , 09:58   Re: How does language selection work? A way to... optimize it, not to use random lang
Reply With Quote #3

What if there is no language selected? And how can it be, that the language is set randomly? To Russian for example? Also, how will the SourceMod assign a custom language I make? Do I need to use some specific country letters (e.g. en, br...)?
exvel
SourceMod Donor
Old 12-30-2010 , 18:52   Re: How does language selection work? A way to... optimize it, not to use random lang
Reply With Quote #4

There is always some language selected. It is set through the Steam client. If plugin prints something before server detects client's language (for instance, when player is connecting or has just connected) then it uses default server language that can be set in sourcemod/configs/core.cfg - "ServerLang" option.

For developers: Colors library
Send a message via ICQ to exvel
newn
BANNED
Old 12-30-2010 , 21:04   Re: How does language selection work? A way to... optimize it, not to use random lang
Reply With Quote #5

You can set 'do not specify' in your profile.
Also... How come, that I get some English, some my language messages now? I put the files into translations/zm folder, let's say. And how will it be selected as my language?
P.S. I set the zm in the core.cfg too. I get my language messages only from custom plugins...