Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[SOLVED] Unintended bug/ Hookevent calling callbacks

Post New Thread Reply   

friagram
Veteran Member
Old 03-20-2015 , 00:11   [SOLVED] Unintended bug/ Hookevent calling callbacks
Reply With Quote #1

I believe there may be a bug with sm 1.6.4+ that is causing a lot of problems with plugins hooking events, but i'm not 100% sure,

It seems that any time a plugin is loaded from server boot / when sourcemod is starting up, hookevent will call the callback it is hooking. If it stack traces there, well.. since it's usually in OnPluginStart, very bad things will happen (like nothing will get initialized). Reloading the plugin later, does not exhibit this behavior. This happens for me a lot because I usually call my hookevents right after I register my convars, and then I allocate my arrays. I do not intend for hookevent to call the events (like round start or whatever):

I tested with this:
Spoiler

From server start:
Spoiler

From reload:
Spoiler

Last edited by friagram; 03-20-2015 at 01:43.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 03-20-2015 , 00:55   Re: Unintended bug/ Hookevent calling callbacks
Reply With Quote #2

You're a little off the mark, MaxClients isn't initialised until you're in OnMapStart, so your plugin is never initialising the array when loaded at server start. You just need to move your loop, OnMapStart is always called even for late-loaded plugin (which is why the late-load works, MaxClients has already been initialised).

EDIT: It's always worked this way.

Last edited by asherkin; 03-20-2015 at 00:57.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 03-20-2015 , 01:14   Re: Unintended bug/ Hookevent calling callbacks
Reply With Quote #3

On late load maxclients is set properly, and used to work (i think) ?
It will anyways now.

In this situation I would only need the array initialized once, so if onpluginstart is too early I would have to use onallpluginsloaded or something.

Also, if you look at the debug, event round start is being called (why is it even being called?), this is causing the stack trace.
Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 03-20-2015 , 01:22   Re: Unintended bug/ Hookevent calling callbacks
Reply With Quote #4

Because waitingforplayers.

Watch out when you're paying people for private requests! Most stuff already exists and you can hardly assess the quality of what you'll get, and if it's worth the money.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 03-20-2015 , 01:30   Re: Unintended bug/ Hookevent calling callbacks
Reply With Quote #5

If it's waitingforplayers causing it to fire (before the map loads during plugin start right when I hook it) that is odd behavior).
Anyways, its not a big problem, i can just allocate the array to a static value in this situation
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 03-20-2015 , 10:43   Re: [SOLVED] Unintended bug/ Hookevent calling callbacks
Reply With Quote #6

Not OnPluginStart, not OnAllPluginsLoaded, OnMapStart.
OnMapStart is where MaxClients is guaranteed to be initialised.
OnMapStart is the first time you can use it.

It does indeed work before that on a late load, that's because the hook backing OnMapStart has (obviously) already happened, SourceMod is just triggering OnMapStart in your plugin on late load so you can always use it for exactly this purpose.

The behaviour of game events is not affected by SourceMod, it is all up to the game. WFP is indeed considered the first round in TF2.

Last edited by asherkin; 03-20-2015 at 10:43.
WildCard65
Veteran Member
Old 03-20-2015 , 13:39   Re: [SOLVED] Unintended bug/ Hookevent calling callbacks
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
Not OnPluginStart, not OnAllPluginsLoaded, OnMapStart.
OnMapStart is where MaxClients is guaranteed to be initialised.
OnMapStart is the first time you can use it.

It does indeed work before that on a late load, that's because the hook backing OnMapStart has (obviously) already happened, SourceMod is just triggering OnMapStart in your plugin on late load so you can always use it for exactly this purpose.

The behaviour of game events is not affected by SourceMod, it is all up to the game. WFP is indeed considered the first round in TF2.
I think I noticed that behaviour of tf2 and events in ff2.
Old 03-20-2015 , 14:13   Re: [SOLVED] Unintended bug/ Hookevent calling callbacks
Reply With Quote #8

It's probably just a case of me never having to initialize client variables that early before, usually i'd do it later on client connect or round start. Anyways, I can just set the array to initialize to like 36 or somesuch number that will always be greater than tf2s maxclient possible count.
Mathias.
Veteran Member
Old 03-20-2015 , 16:42   Re: [SOLVED] Unintended bug/ Hookevent calling callbacks
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
It's probably just a case of me never having to initialize client variables that early before, usually i'd do it later on client connect or round start. Anyways, I can just set the array to initialize to like 36 or somesuch number that will always be greater than tf2s maxclient possible count.
do you not listen to what people wrote you?