Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Downtime Over

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

dataviruset
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-28-2011 , 18:27   Re: Downtime Over

Isn't there anyone who can just grab the server and host it somewhere with good bandwidth etc. for free? There must be some people around here who has the resources.
I myself have access to a 100/100 Mbit/s connection here in Sweden. Give server, I host. Not too expensive
Rothgar
Veteran Member
Old 01-28-2011 , 21:51   Re: Downtime Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottobohn View Post
You can do co-location hosting on hardware (get hardware donated) and make deals for unlimited bandwidth. A 10MB pipe sometimes comes with unlimited bandwidth. Sounds like no one is doing daily backups of the forums and with the cpanel bust (we got hit too), your restore lacked. Maybe it's time that a web hosting company hosts you for free and they can do the backups for you. This'll take the worry of time/money. You can find someone to sponsor you.

You get $50/month from advertising and over $200/month in donations. I fail to see how you're not able to financially put this place together. That's an honest analysis. We run on $100/month for web hosting only with no bandwidth limitations. Your business model needs tweaked.

Otto
I understand you are just trying to help but it's not just "webhosting" that SourceMod are requiring, plus $100/m for just website hosting seems excessive unless it's a very large site and has some form of management services or redundancy etc that is causing it to be so expensive.

I am fairly certain there are a number of background services and customized system settings required to make sure the version control repositories work properly and then properly integrate with the automatic compilation and build systems in place to make sure releases are possible when bugs are fixed.

They could maybe look at a VPS but having a dedicated server ensures they have full control, more stability (not sharing), more security and guaranteed resources.

Having full access to the system makes it more flexible for them to implement more advanced functionality.
Send a message via ICQ to Rothgar Send a message via AIM to Rothgar Send a message via MSN to Rothgar
papyrus_kn
Old 01-29-2011 , 06:45   Re: Downtime Over

Why sponsor banner is removed?
Old 01-29-2011 , 07:38   Re: Downtime Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by papyrus_kn View Post
Why sponsor banner is removed?
Our advertiser didn't pay us for a few months, but promised to do so. After a few weeks of waiting they suddenly decided they wouldn't pay us for those months. So I removed their ads. We're probably going to try something different this time. I haven't quite decided yet.

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 01-29-2011 at 07:41.
API
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2011 , 12:24   Re: Downtime Over

What happened to the google ads? Not enough revenue?
Veteran Member
Old 01-29-2011 , 21:16   Re: Downtime Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothgar View Post
They could maybe look at a VPS but having a dedicated server ensures they have full control, more stability (not sharing), more security and guaranteed resources.
Excluding low budget VPSs, any proper VPS has said things, plus it will be more stable and will have a higher availability than any dedicated server. But it will also be more expensive.
Old 01-30-2011 , 03:01   Re: Downtime Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbucks View Post
FYI, 100tb.com is a reseller of Softlayer.
I know....I was referring to their excellent rates on Bandwidth/servers (and their service thus far has been top notch for us, but ymmv).

At any rate, their "Inferno" Server package would seem to be just what the doctor ordered to future-proof the site, but I'm sure there are similar deals to be had elsewhere. I was just attracted to the 100tb of bandwidth for our use (fast download server, file repository, etc.)
ottobohn
Old 01-30-2011 , 21:58   Re: Downtime Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
We don't use cpanel. Also, we back up the forums daily. That's why they're online

Well, this is not a business. Hobbies tend to lose money. Right now, the questions I'm trying to answer are "what does AM need to run smoothly for the next five years," and "what is the right amount to spend to make that happen?"
Thanks for the honest reply. I assumed you ran Cpanel and that's what busted ya. My bad there.

You get well enough donations to have solid web hosting. I respect you a lot, but I think if it were run like a business, it'd be stable, but then again, this is your house and you know it better than I. NS runs their donations like a business and they've gone surplus for a long time.

Good luck! I think you'll do well with the donations coming in.

Gaming with benefits.
www.n00bsalad.net
ottobohn
Old 01-30-2011 , 22:00   Re: Downtime Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothgar View Post
I understand you are just trying to help but it's not just "webhosting" that SourceMod are requiring, plus $100/m for just website hosting seems excessive unless it's a very large site and has some form of management services or redundancy etc that is causing it to be so expensive.

I am fairly certain there are a number of background services and customized system settings required to make sure the version control repositories work properly and then properly integrate with the automatic compilation and build systems in place to make sure releases are possible when bugs are fixed.

Having full access to the system makes it more flexible for them to implement more advanced functionality.
We're no strangers to hosting and what hardware is needed. I'm sure $200/month could cover everything.

http://maxdedicated.com/10mbps-unmetereddedicated.html

All good. I love you guys.

Gaming with benefits.
www.n00bsalad.net

Last edited by ottobohn; 01-30-2011 at 22:03.
Veteran Member
Old 01-31-2011 , 14:28   Re: Downtime Over

After all that has been said, you are linking to fully managed servers with 10mbit uplinks and making silly statements. Are you trolling?