Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[L4D2] Other people can't join my Dedicated Server (part 2?)

Post New Thread Reply   

Loll10T
Old 08-09-2022 , 02:34   Re: [L4D2] Other people can't join my Dedicated Server (part 2?)
Reply With Quote #11

bump hehe

I ran the server through srcds.exe (without using a batch file) and found out about something that happens when I start matches through the lobby (with one or two more players). Note that I stripped -ip and -port from the batch file to see if it crashed telling me that SRCDS couldn't get an IP.

Code:
Client "Lolliot's Nut" connected (20x.xxx.6x.xxx:27XXX). <<< Appears to be my private IP?
S3: Duplicate client connection: UserID: 3 SteamID [redacted_ID] (just in case)
RejectConnection: 20x.xxx.8x.xxx:XXXXX - STEAM validation rejected <<< This is my public IP, with a different port; however it's different from my private IP.
After this I get a "STEAM USERID validated" line and then I can play.

At first I thought the info after "Client [my_username] connected" was from the other player that joined the lobby, but after checking the IPs I realized it belonged to me. Is this relevant or am I just finding something that it's just not there?
metal_upa
Old 11-16-2022 , 02:30   Re: [L4D2] Other people can't join my Dedicated Server (part 2?)
Reply With Quote #12

Sorry for the bump, so any part 3 of this drama? any solution for people like us (server & client in the same machine).

In my case, me & friends can join using connect ip:port command, but when i create lobby and use mm_dedicated_force_servers "192.168.x.x:270xx", the server instantly crash.

I don't think renting a VPS is a good solution, i already have D:800Mbps U:250Mbps fiber optic connection, i believe this is good enough to host L4D2 server.
Dominatez
Old 11-21-2022 , 16:31   Re: [L4D2] Other people can't join my Dedicated Server (part 2?)
Reply With Quote #13

Are you using No Steam ?

metal_upa : try using your ip you are hosting the server from.
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 11-22-2022 , 03:20   Re: [L4D2] Other people can't join my Dedicated Server (part 2?)
Reply With Quote #14

I believe, when you host dedicated server and play game with same machine (or behind same router), LAN connection is only option to that server.
If you try using public IP, it slow and unstable.

Not sure would it even help if you have second machine, which run only dedicated server.
Dominatez
Old 11-22-2022 , 17:32   Re: [L4D2] Other people can't join my Dedicated Server (part 2?)
Reply With Quote #15

I ran one from my machine using my ip address and it ran fine as the machines specs were fine. Had connections from all over the world.

Use this on your startup line (I used to use this as a batch file i had for windows, but i don't use windows unless for work)

The set runcmd C:\ is where your L4D2 srcds.exe is.

Code:
set servername=YOURSERVERSNAME

set runcmd=C:\SRCDS\L4D2\l4d2\srcds.exe -console -game left4dead2 +YOURACTUALIP +hostport 27015 +clientport 27006 -nohltv +exec server.cfg +map c1m1_hotel

@echo off

title L4D2 Batch File %servername%

cls

echo L4D2 Server Has Been Started
echo.
echo *************************************************************************
echo To close the server, close this window and type exit in the server window
echo *************************************************************************
echo.
echo.
echo %servername% is now starting...
>> "%servername%.log" echo.
>> "%servername%.log" echo (%date%)(%time%) L4D2 Server Has Been Started
>> "%servername%.log" echo (%date%)(%time%) %servername% Is Now Starting

:restart

echo.
echo (%date%)(%time%) %servername% Is Now ONLINE
echo Watching %servername% For Any Crashes
>> "%servername%.log" echo (%date%)(%time%) %servername% Is Now ONLINE
>> "%servername%.log" echo (%date%)(%time%) Watching %servername% For Any Crashes

start /wait %runcmd%

echo.
echo (%date%)(%time%) Server Crash Or Window Close Detected
echo %servername% Is Now Restarting
>> "%servername%.log" echo (%date%)(%time%) Server Crash Or Window Close Detected
>> "%servername%.log" echo (%date%)(%time%) %servername% Is Now Restarting

goto restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
I believe, when you host dedicated server and play game with same machine (or behind same router), LAN connection is only option to that server.
If you try using public IP, it slow and unstable.

Not sure would it even help if you have second machine, which run only dedicated server.
Loll10T
Old 02-21-2023 , 13:00   Re: [L4D2] Other people can't join my Dedicated Server (part 2?)
Reply With Quote #16

Well, I gave up on this thread, as I changed ISP and they don't provide public IPs, killing any hopes I had.
Tried to use Tailscale in order to get more than 4 players in a game, ended up with random crashes, until no one was able to connect to my server despite having Tailscale properly running.

I decided to help a friend of mine, since they play more than I do.
They have a public IP, ports are open (both from router's settings and Firewall settings) and apparently, the match info is visible on server browser (even on Steam Overlay), but only if you try to add it on favorites. This however, does not mean is joinable; in fact, while you're able to see player names, you'll see a "Server is not responding" message. Only my friend can connect to their own DS, send invites and others can also join via Steam Overlay, but will end up with a 10 retries error.

So, this is my last attempt at setting a DS. I don't want Sourcemod-- unless necessary, but also no mods, no custom maps. It must be joinable for everyone before installing any mods or plugins.

This is the server.cfg I've built. It's not too much, but I guess it should be enough to properly run.
Code:
sv_allow_lobby_connect_only 0
sm_cvar sv_hibernate_when_empty 0
sv_lan 0
net_start
sv_cheats 0
sv_consistency 0
IIRC this is the .bat I've also built:
Code:
-autoupdate -steam -debug -condebug -usercon -console -nobreakpad -insecure -dev -game left4dead2 -port 27000 -nohltv +hostport 27015 +clientport 27006 +precache_all_survivors 1 +map c2m1_highway
Some things may need to be cleared up. But I also tried with Bacardi's "simple way", and as you may have guessed already, still no luck.
Quote:
Try simple way first:
Code:
srcds.exe -console -game left4dead2 +map c1m1_hotel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominatez View Post
Are you using No Steam ?
No.

Alright, that should be enough info most people need. Any help is appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Last edited by Loll10T; 02-21-2023 at 13:20.
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 02-21-2023 , 13:30   Re: [L4D2] Other people can't join my Dedicated Server (part 2?)
Reply With Quote #17

show output of command
status

Last edited by Bacardi; 02-21-2023 at 13:30.
Loll10T
Old 02-21-2023 , 22:23   Re: [L4D2] Other people can't join my Dedicated Server (part 2?)
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
show output of command
status

I forgot to take a screenshot, but it's pretty much the same as my output.
Code:
hostname: The Hellhole of The Elliot
version : 2.2.2.5 8490 insecure  (unknown)
udp/ip  : 192.168.X.XX:27016 [ public XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:27016 ]
os      : Windows Dedicated
map     : c1m1_hotel
players : 0 humans, 0 bots (4 max) (hibernating) (unreserved)

# userid name uniqueid connected ping loss state rate adr
#end
Nothing interesting, to be fair. I'll edit this if I find anything different on my friend's output.
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 02-22-2023 , 02:03   Re: [L4D2] Other people can't join my Dedicated Server (part 2?)
Reply With Quote #19

Does it make any difference, if you disable hibernation?
Old 03-07-2023 , 00:00   Re: [L4D2] Other people can't join my Dedicated Server (part 2?)
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
Does it make any difference, if you disable hibernation?
Nope. Still the same. I want to keep is as vanilla as possible, but I'll try w/SM and change the cvar. I'll update on my next test.