Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

What is better, MAM or SourceMod?

Post New Thread Reply   

psychotic
Old 07-03-2008 , 19:07   What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #1

Because I have mani, and I know how to use it to it's almost-full extent (a few of the more confusing commands are beyond my grasp, but I'm getting there), and I was wondering, does SourceMod add anything to the experience of CSS admin/client that isn't already in Mani? Is there anything in Mani that isn't is SM? Is there a place where I can view all the commands/features of SM?

Generally, in your opinion, which is better from an administrator's point of view?

This leads me to my next question: Is there a way to disable all the SourceMod functions, leaving only the ability to host plugins? Like, a way to disable all the built-in functions, leaving only the functions necessary to run plugins (like CSSM for example). If there is, please either link me somewhere that tells me or tell me here.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

psychotic
Cooltad
Veteran Member
Old 07-03-2008 , 19:35   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #2

Delete all in the plugins folder then only plugins you want will be loaded.
(addons/sourcemod/plugins)

and I run Mani with SM.
Old 07-03-2008 , 20:55   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #3

I have tried multiple times to run SourceMod alone, but the experience was horrible, Mani with SourceMod works perfectly. If you have mani, the only reason you should get SM is for KAC and VBAC, other than those two, theres nothing I need that I dont have in Mani.
Cooltad
Veteran Member
Old 07-03-2008 , 21:07   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoS View Post
I have tried multiple times to run SourceMod alone, but the experience was horrible, Mani with SourceMod works perfectly. If you have mani, the only reason you should get SM is for KAC and VBAC, other than those two, theres nothing I need that I dont have in Mani.
Actually there are hundreds of things SM has that Mani doesn't have..
Old 07-03-2008 , 21:33   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltad View Post
Actually there are hundreds of things SM has that Mani doesn't have..
Doesn't mean I need it. Look at the majority of places, LANFusion, Infexxxious all of which are still running on Mani.
psychotic
Old 07-03-2008 , 21:51   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #6

SM Just confuses the hell outta me, so many txt files and stuff that I don't know what they are for. Mani is just more organized IMHO. And, as you said, Mani doesn't have much else. And thanks for that plugin delete tip. All I have in SM plugins folder now is CSSDM. Thanks again!

P.S. I wasn't really interested in using SM to admin anyway. Mani does what I want for the server atm, not much more I would want it to do.
willy1234x1
Old 07-04-2008 , 00:24   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #7

I found the move from Mani Admin to SourceMod wonderful. I love SM and disown Mani now. So I don't know what you guys are talking about "harder" why don't you check the documentation. It should make things much easier for you. http://wiki.alliedmods.net/index.php..._Documentation
DontWannaName
Veteran Member
Old 07-04-2008 , 00:42   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #8

Mani is for one, not being updated and therefore is missing content. Sourcemod is constantly being updated and has working content. Hmmm working or not working. No updates or updates. Fixes or no fixes. I like SM, maybe both for CSS but for TF2 there is no comparison.

BAILOPAN
Old 07-04-2008 , 01:39   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #9

Hrm? SourceMod has too many files and you don't know what they do? Mani has plenty of text files.

The files are named to be discoverable. I.e. you should only touch things in "configs" or "plugins," and the names are self explanatory. If you're looking to do a specific task you should read the documentation.
Old 07-04-2008 , 01:59   Re: What is better, MAM or SourceMod?
Reply With Quote #10

I don't think SourceMod is hard to learn, its just uncomfortable. I don't want to track down an advertisement plugin and etc. Mani is still being updated, theres just no really big issues with it. If you can install it correctly your server will run fine.

SourceMod is new thats why it will be updated. If you look at the source engine theres no updates so there isn't any point in updating Mani.

Last update was May 04, 2008 from Mani so its not like there isn't anymore updates.