Zombie Escape Mod [ReHLDS, ReGameDLL & ReAPI]

Post New Thread Reply   

OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 09-03-2018 , 08:26   Re: Zombie Escape Mod [ReHLDS, ReGameDLL & ReAPI]
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by edon1337 View Post
Yeah, AMXX isn't supported in the AMXX forum, nice logic.
That's what you said, not me.
Penguin Enthusiast
Old 09-03-2018 , 08:29   Re: Zombie Escape Mod [ReHLDS, ReGameDLL & ReAPI]
Reply With Quote #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OciXCrom View Post
That's what you said, not me.
Error 404: Sarcasm not found

Last edited by edon1337; 09-03-2018 at 08:31.
HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 09-03-2018 , 08:40   Re: Zombie Escape Mod [ReHLDS, ReGameDLL & ReAPI]
Reply With Quote #23

I find it weird to release something that only works in regamedll/rehlds and IMO plugins should always support default hlds, I'll give you that.
However, most of the time people make this choice because of reapi, as I said before. If you tell them to use orpheu and support hlds they will most likely ignore the request.

1.There is the case where they only use reapi to replace fakemeta(for example) and relese the plugin and this is kinda silly. When releasing a plugin the tools that give you the biggest compatibility with minimal overhead should be used. And in such case fakemeta is clearly the better option, because it is not harder or less eficient to use than reapi and works in both hlds/rehlds.
2.Next you have the case where reapi is used to work with functions from the mod dll and to provide support for hlds orpheu/okapi would be needed. Not much that can be done, people don't want to bother finding signatures, even if it's not hard once you get the hang of it. Also the popular belief that orpheu is bad for people's servers(usual claim is orpheu lags the server or that module itself crashes - which are not justified and the reality is totally different) doesn't help.

So what do we do?
Unapprove anything that doesn't have hlds support?
Let it pass and request the thread to be clearly marked as REGAMEDLL/REHLDS only?

This things are to be discussed, it's not as straightforward as I would like it to be. Firstly, it was always said we only support the latest hlds version, but on the other hand amxx 1.9 has support for regamedll/rehlds(mainly because of someone forking the project into ReAMXX and keeping the source private; from what I read) and also we can't live under a rock and deny that a good amount of servers switched over.

To sum it up: IMO adding rehlds/regamedll support is fine, the question is what do we do with plugins without hlds support?

Last edited by HamletEagle; 09-03-2018 at 08:43.
edon1337
Penguin Enthusiast
Old 09-03-2018 , 08:45   Re: Zombie Escape Mod [ReHLDS, ReGameDLL & ReAPI]
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle View Post
I find it weird to release something that only works in regamedll/rehlds and IMO plugins should always support default hlds, I'll give you that.
However, most of the time people make this choice because of reapi, as I said before. If you tell them to use orpheu and support hlds they will most likely ignore the request.

1.There is the case where they only use reapi to replace fakemeta(for example) and relese the plugin and this is kinda silly. When releasing a plugin the tools that give you the biggest compatibility with minimal overhead should be used. And in such case fakemeta is clearly the better option, because it is not harder or less eficient to use than reapi and works in both hlds/rehlds.
2.Next you have the case where reapi is used to work with functions from the mod dll and to provide support for hlds orpheu/okapi would be needed. Not much that can be done, people don't want to bother finding signatures, even if it's not hard once you get the hang of it. Also the popular belief that orpheu is bad for people's servers(usual claim is orpheu lags the server or that module itself crashes - which are not justified and the reality is totally different) doesn't help.

So what do we do?
Let it pass and request the thread to be clearly marked as REGAMEDLL/REHLDS only?

This things are to be discussed, it's not as straightforward as I would like it to be. Firstly, it was always said we only support the latest hlds version, but on the other hand amxx 1.9 has support for regamedll/rehlds(mainly because of someone forking the project into ReAMXX and keeping the source private; from what I read) and also we can't live under a rock and deny that a good amount of servers switched over.

To sum it up: IMO adding rehlds/regamedll support is fine, the question is what do we do with plugins without hlds support?
Yeah, exactly, I'm not saying adding support for ReHLDS is bad, it's a big plus, but not adding support for the main framework, that's just illogical.

IMO there should be a sub-forum dedicated to plugins that don't have HLDS support. That's just my opinion.
Old 09-03-2018 , 08:47   Re: Zombie Escape Mod [ReHLDS, ReGameDLL & ReAPI]
Reply With Quote #25

IMO, if some one here feels like he is willing to add support for HLDS by using orpheu/okapi he can make a pull request to the plugin, we can't force people to use orpheu/okapi...

Last edited by JusTGo; 09-03-2018 at 08:48.
OciXCrom
Veteran Member
Old 09-03-2018 , 08:50   Re: Zombie Escape Mod [ReHLDS, ReGameDLL & ReAPI]
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Most appropriate solution IMO.
Old 09-03-2018 , 09:35   Re: Zombie Escape Mod [ReHLDS, ReGameDLL & ReAPI]
Reply With Quote #27

We use ReHLDS for more optimization, ReGameDLL to handle our game rules and replace default ones. ReAPI is our access to engine and gamedll.

Good idea to mark them as ReHLDS/ReGameDLL, and leave choice for users if someone need to use it or not.
JaC k
Old 09-03-2018 , 11:31   Re: Zombie Escape Mod [ReHLDS, ReGameDLL & ReAPI]
Reply With Quote #28

Quote:
Because he doesn't know how to make signatures/find functions?
Because ReAPI & ReGameDLL are better & they are always being updated.
Also adding Orpheu in the mod will force the players to use it & it's the same idea.

Quote:
Because he was using rehlds already in his server so he made the mod compatible with that?
Nah.

Quote:
AFAIK ReHLDS is not supported here, is it? IMO If someone wants to make a plugin compatible with ReHLDS it should have HLDS support too.
HLDS isn't supported. ReHLDS is up-to-date & always being updated.
It's not a rule that making ReHLDS plugins must be compatible with HLDS.

Quote:
You're deluded, I never said anything against ReHLDS, I'm just telling you that the official supported framework here is HLDS, furthermore, your plugin must be compatible with the latest stable AMXX version, it being 1.8.2 at the moment.
AMXMODX 1.8.3 is stable & works fine. Also how isn't it stable & AMXMODX v1.9 is going to be released?!
Also i don't see any problem to use the latest version of everything which makes you up-to-date. Using un-supported stuff is just like using Internet Explorer.

Quote:

So what do we do?

Look, we only need to use things which are always getting updates. ReAPI's engine functions are faster than Fakemeta. ReAPI uses functions directly from ReHLDS or the game dll(it should be faster), while orpheu works with memory patching.
HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 09-03-2018 , 11:39   Re: Zombie Escape Mod [ReHLDS, ReGameDLL & ReAPI]
Reply With Quote #29

Pro tip: fakemeta is using the same engine functions as reapi. Don't even talk about speed, there is no difference.
You didn't understand anything from what I said, did you? The idea is not what is faster: orpheu or reapi. Re-read my post.
Old 09-03-2018 , 11:42   Re: Zombie Escape Mod [ReHLDS, ReGameDLL & ReAPI]
Reply With Quote #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaC k View Post
HLDS isn't supported. ReHLDS is up-to-date & always being updated.
It's not a rule that making ReHLDS plugins must be compatible with HLDS.
HLDS is the official framework for Counter-Strike 1.6, that's why it is the supported framework here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaC k View Post
AMXMODX 1.8.3 is stable & works fine. Also how isn't it stable & AMXMODX v1.9 is going to be released?!
Also i don't see any problem to use the latest version of everything which makes you up-to-date.
We all know it works fine, but it's not marked as 'stable', because it's not tested as much as AMXX 1.8.2.