Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

High Server VAR (Stressing CPU Fixes?)

Post New Thread Reply   

Endoint
Old 10-18-2018 , 03:02   High Server VAR (Stressing CPU Fixes?)
Reply With Quote #1

Hi,

I am running a CS:GO server with LinuxGSM (CentOS 7 - 64bit). I have two servers running currently and have tried everything to get the var to sit around 0.002 (achievable by other OVH servers, as I have seen)...

I am using OVH Game servers (MC-32 currently), and am getting a consistent 0.1 var:

I went ahead and set the cpu's to min/max 4.00Ghz:

And still am getting a consistent 0.1 var.
The reason I wanted to set my CPU's usages to be permanently maxed was because when testing, I tried using the "stress" plugin, which literally lowered my var to a consistent 0.000-0.005, which is ABSOLUTELY perfect:

I obviously can't just run the stress plugin 24/7, otherwise I would. I left it overnight and it not only crashed itself but the server as well. So I am wondering what is possibly different between stressing the server which is perfectly lowering the var, to setting my cpu usage for all cpu's to max..?

Thank you!

Last edited by Endoint; 10-18-2018 at 03:33.
asdfxD
Veteran Member
Old 10-18-2018 , 04:29   Re: High Server VAR (Stressing CPU Fixes?)
Reply With Quote #2

You can install tuned and set the tuned Profile to latency-Performance, the var Will Be the same 0.00x

The Important Part of the tuned Profile is „cpu_latency=1“ this will set your var to valules like 0.00x
cpu_latency=1 hold your Core frequency Constantly. If you set cpu_latency=0 you frequency spikes again and var is 0.1xx again.

But i Must say i Never saw a difference between var 0.1xx and 0.00x in gameplay. Var should Never go over 1ms .

Edit: stress all cpu cores is Not needed just stress 1 Core and var will go down Aswell

run stress -c 1 in Screen if you won‘t install tuned

Last edited by asdfxD; 10-18-2018 at 04:36.
Endoint
Old 10-18-2018 , 07:15   Re: High Server VAR (Stressing CPU Fixes?)
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfxD View Post
You can install tuned and set the tuned Profile to latency-Performance, the var Will Be the same 0.00x

The Important Part of the tuned Profile is „cpu_latency=1“ this will set your var to valules like 0.00x
cpu_latency=1 hold your Core frequency Constantly. If you set cpu_latency=0 you frequency spikes again and var is 0.1xx again.

But i Must say i Never saw a difference between var 0.1xx and 0.00x in gameplay. Var should Never go over 1ms .

Edit: stress all cpu cores is Not needed just stress 1 Core and var will go down Aswell

run stress -c 1 in Screen if you won‘t install tuned
Hi, thanks for the help. I've installed tuned and have set the profile to your recommendation.

How do I now set the cpu latency to 1?
Do I just edit like below?
Code:
nano /usr/lib/tuned/latency-performance
write in cpu_latency=1
save
If not, how do I do this?

Again, thank you for your help

Last edited by Endoint; 10-18-2018 at 07:44.
asdfxD
Veteran Member
Old 10-18-2018 , 08:19   Re: High Server VAR (Stressing CPU Fixes?)
Reply With Quote #4

The latency-Performance Profile has all Stuff u need... Performance gouvenor and cpu latency 1
Endoint
Old 10-18-2018 , 08:22   Re: High Server VAR (Stressing CPU Fixes?)
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfxD View Post
The latency-Performance Profile has all Stuff u need... Performance gouvenor and cpu latency 1
Awesome thanks heaps for your help
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 10-18-2018 , 15:23   Re: High Server VAR (Stressing CPU Fixes?)
Reply With Quote #6

This is typical problem.
When you host server with powerful CPU, you assume you are running all 4.8 GHz plaa plaa plaa you not.
Because all kinds power saving modes, CPU frequency run mostly 1.6 GHz or else lower value.

SRCDS program not stress at all CPU, this is why lags appear.
For fix is, changing power safe mode off from BIOS and/or so called speedsteps, running cores full frequenzy.