8% 

[TF2] No Thriller Taunt

Post New Thread Reply   

Misc
Old 08-23-2017 , 21:04   Re: [TF2] No Thriller Taunt
Reply With Quote #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_12 View Post
Looks like you need proper offset and signatures for Linux platform.
Any idea how I do that please?
Spirit_12
Veteran Member
Old 08-24-2017 , 03:43   Re: [TF2] No Thriller Taunt
Reply With Quote #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misc View Post
Any idea how I do that please?
You will have to decompile the library and then find the appropriate function to create signature. It is a rather tedious task and offsets might be a whole new fuzz.
Old 10-31-2017 , 12:33   Re: [TF2] No Thriller Taunt
Reply With Quote #133

I would suggest that a moderator move this to the plugins forum as this is technically no longer an extension it is now a plugin.
nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 05-12-2018 , 12:08   Re: [TF2] No Thriller Taunt
Reply With Quote #134

Decided to test my skill in disassembly. Have some updated gamedata.

For anyone that wants to follow along or update it for next time, assuming Valve didn't completely overhaul the halloween taunt logic since then:
  1. Load up the server binary in IDA.
  2. Open up the Strings subview and look up the IsHalloweenTaunt string.
  3. Find cross-references to the string, then head over to one of those subroutines. Switch to graph view so you have a sense of what you're looking at.
  4. In the Linux binary, since you have signatures, you'll be in CTFPlayer::ModifyOrAppendCriteria(). There's a call to rand right before to decide if the Halloween taunt is applied. I ended up patching the near JA instruction with a near JO (from 0F 87 to 0F 80). Add one to the instruction offset and set the payload in the gamedata file to 128 (0x80). Use the symbol for the signature.
  5. Same thing in the Windows binary, except no symbols. Structure is about the same, though; find those floating point operations right before. I patched the short JBE with a short JNO. Grab the offset. Use makesig for the signature.

Here's an image for reference. The forum image proxy doesn't seem too fond of it, so it's linked.

There's probably a more resilient signature that doesn't involve offsets deep into the function (since this will absolutely break if ModifyOrAppendCriteria changes), but that's an exercise for the next person.
Attached Files
File Type: txt thriller.plugin.txt (605 Bytes, 302 views)

Last edited by nosoop; 05-12-2018 at 12:22.
FletchS
Old 06-24-2018 , 09:12   Re: [TF2] No Thriller Taunt
Reply With Quote #135

Just wanted to say thank you to @nosoop.
Just tested the gamedata you added and its still working as of today (26 July)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoop View Post

For anyone that wants to follow along or update it for next time, assuming Valve didn't completely overhaul the halloween taunt logic since then:
  3. Find cross-references to the string, then head over to one of those subroutines. Switch to graph view so you have a sense of what you're looking at.
  4. In the Linux binary, since you have signatures, you'll be in CTFPlayer::ModifyOrAppendCriteria(). There's a call to rand right before to decide if the Halloween taunt is applied. I ended up patching the near JA instruction with a near JO (from 0F 87 to 0F 80). Add one to the instruction offset and set the payload in the gamedata file to 128 (0x80). Use the symbol for the signature.
  5. Same thing in the Windows binary, except no symbols. Structure is about the same, though; find those floating point operations right before. I patched the short JBE with a short JNO. Grab the offset. Use makesig for the signature.

Here's an image for reference. The forum image proxy doesn't seem too fond of it, so it's linked.

There's probably a more resilient signature that doesn't involve offsets deep into the function (since this will absolutely break if ModifyOrAppendCriteria changes), but that's an exercise for the next person.
Fearts
ferts of daeth
Old 06-24-2018 , 11:24   Re: [TF2] No Thriller Taunt
Reply With Quote #136

Just so anyone using this plugin knows if you set "tf_forced_holiday 8" it does fullmoon mode and has pretty much everything halloween mode has except thriller taunt.
Old 06-24-2018 , 14:19   Re: [TF2] No Thriller Taunt
Reply With Quote #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoop View Post

Few questions, would it be possible to do this on just a normal linux machine, do i need tf2 installed on it, also, would it be possible for a video tutorial?
Old 06-24-2018 , 23:02   Re: [TF2] No Thriller Taunt
Reply With Quote #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumiland View Post
Few questions, would it be possible to do this on just a normal linux machine, do i need tf2 installed on it, also, would it be possible for a video tutorial?
  1. The freeware version of IDA is available on Linux, so if you're using Linux as your personal operating system (that is, you're not trying to perform this on a headless remote server), you should be able to use that. Other disassemblers may also be usable, though I had trouble getting the binary analyzed in Binary Ninja and cutter (radare2) as of this time.
  2. You need a copy of server_srv.so and server.dll for Linux and Windows, respectively. No need for the whole game. They're available online for some other projects; not sure if I can link them directly here.
  3. I'm sure a video tutorial would be doable. I wouldn't know how to go about it in a way that would make sense to someone that is new to IDA / assembly, however, nor would it be a priority for me to make one.

Last edited by nosoop; 06-24-2018 at 23:04.
FletchS
Old 06-24-2018 , 23:11   Re: [TF2] No Thriller Taunt
Reply With Quote #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearts View Post
Just so anyone using this plugin knows if you set "tf_forced_holiday 8" it does fullmoon mode and has pretty much everything halloween mode has except thriller taunt.
Neat!
I thought full moon was 9.
Guess its wrong in this thread - https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=1587251

Are there any other differences between full moon and halloween?

Last edited by FletchS; 06-24-2018 at 23:11.
nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 06-25-2018 , 10:57   Re: [TF2] No Thriller Taunt
Reply With Quote #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by FletchS View Post
Neat!
I thought full moon was 9.
Guess its wrong in this thread - https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=1587251

Are there any other differences between full moon and halloween?
The correct value will always be in sm-tf2.games.txt; Valve may insert / remove values whenever they'd like as it's internal for the most part, but the TF2 extension (and SourceMod) have a neat way of keeping it up to date without having a fixed constant that needs a plugin recompile.

Other than the taunt, I believe you'd be missing out on the crit candy pickups as well. No idea how the game handles things during the actual Halloween season, though.