Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

1.71 binaries and ones I compile - diff hash values

jd91651
Old 04-11-2006 , 16:39   1.71 binaries and ones I compile - diff hash values

I originally posted this in the help forum but it now seems
more appropriate here so I deleted that post and here we go...

[4/10/2006 Approx. 10pm]
I installed amx modx 1.71 last night (4/9/2006).
Things "seemed" to be ok but today the server has already crashed 10 times.
I have since disabled the six custom plugins I had (not part of the original
source/install but approved plugins from this site that I compiled and uploaded)
As of this moment the verdict is still out as to whether or not that was the problem
but in the mean time I started looking at the amxx binary plugins files (admin.amxx for example) etc.
I have done hash calc's on them all using HashCalc from Slavasoft (great tool)
(http://www.slavasoft.com/?source=HashCalc.exe).
Here is what I am seeing.
The uploaded install file plugins on the server all match what is in the install dir of amxxmodx
(ie C:\Program Files\AMX Mod X\files\base\plugins) and so do the 6 additional ones match what
I compiled last night.

Now here is where it gets really weird and confusing to me.
Whether or not I use the amxx studio compiler OR just drag N drop the sma files onto
the compile.exe in the same dir (C:\Program Files\AMX Mod X\files\base\scripting)
None of the output binaries (take admin.amxx for example) that are produced when I compile them
match the ones on the server or in the C:\Program Files\AMX Mod X\files\base\plugins dir.
They are not the same. The hashcalc values are different. If I compile them several times over
the hashcalc remains the same but still does not match the ones placed there by the
full installer of 1.71. They compile with no errors by the way.
Am I nuts or shouldn't the ones I compile be exactly the same as the originals.
Note: I even went out and used the web compiler and it produces diff. hash values than
either mine or the original install of 1.71

I now have NO confidence in any of the plugins and cannot possibly upload any new ones
under the circumstances (which I really need).
Can someone shed some light on this for me. I don't understand what is going on here.

[EDIT 10 min later] It is still crashing even though my 6 plugins are disabled AND I forgot to mention but there are NO errors at all in any of the logs. The HL log will simply contain a partial line at the end of the log where it crashed then the new logs that appear after that show server shutdown and restart info and output.

[EDIT next day 4/11/2006 120 pm] Server has been running since roughly midnight with amx mod x 1.71 disabled completely. NO crashes have occurred. Granted that half that time it probably had low useage but for the other half 6-14 ppl playing without a hitch. IF it runs through the day without a crash I think it will be safe to say that amxx 1.71 is the problem. I'm open for suggestions here.
BAILOPAN
Old 04-11-2006 , 18:19  

I've really no idea what you're talking about. Why would the hash of a binary be the same after you compile it? You're aware that compilers add debug info in, like dates and full file paths, right?

If AMX Mod X is crashing, please narrow it down to a specific plugin or use a Bin Logging binary (see downloads section).
Old 04-11-2006 , 20:04  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN
I've really no idea what you're talking about. Why would the hash of a binary be the same after you compile it? You're aware that compilers add debug info in, like dates and full file paths, right?

If AMX Mod X is crashing, please narrow it down to a specific plugin or use a Bin Logging binary (see downloads section).
hi, I have no idea what info this compiler adds. Dates added well ok that would account for the different hash values but full paths!! I find that hard to believe. However if you are correct then how could I EVER
compile a plugin on my home pc and upload it to a server I rent from a company and expect it to work. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to ever get the paths the same. On the other hand I have no way to execute windows/dos command on a rented server either from ftp or via the rcon web access interface so how could I ever compile it on the server?
You know something I don't? Maybe I'm not compiling these plugins in the correct manner even though I don't get any errors?
Twilight Suzuka
bad
Old 04-11-2006 , 20:42  

Oh god... Compiling is platform inspecific. It doesn't matter where you compile it, the damn thing will work everywhere.

You either have screwed up installing, have the wrong MM version, or simply have bad plugins.
Old 04-11-2006 , 21:05  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Suzuka
Oh god... Compiling is platform inspecific. It doesn't matter where you compile it, the damn thing will work everywhere.
This is exactly what I am trying to say! I totally agree and I'm not just talking about MY plugins. I'm talking about the amxx plugins and source!
When I take the original admin.sma source file that is placed on your pc after installing 1.71 and compile it with either the compile.exe that the 1.71 install places in or C:\Program Files\AMX Mod X\files\base\Scripting dir OR by using the studio THEN compare the resulting admin.amxx binary with the same admin.amxx binary that the 1.71 places (precompiled) in C:\Program Files\AMX Mod X\files\base\plugins dir during the install (and to your server via ftp) they are not the same AT ALL.
It's not just the hashcalc I have a hex dump to a text file for both and they are not even close. No date of compile could possibly account for that. ALso I simply don't believe what I was told in the last post (no disrespect intended to bailopan, I'm not even in his league) but compiled source code MUST produce the same binary output file in all instances since it represents specific instructions to the cpu or language interpreter. Change even one byte and you have a different instruction.
As for the install... I'll remove everything and try this again and report back.
Last: Don't understand the acronym MM
c0rdawg
Old 04-11-2006 , 21:06  

it may compile the full paths into the plugin for debugging, but that doesn't change how the plugin functions, it doesn't have to be compiled on the computer the server is run on
Send a message via AIM to c0rdawg Send a message via MSN to c0rdawg
BAILOPAN
Old 04-11-2006 , 21:56  

This isn't a bug report so I'm locking it. The final word:

The compiled plugins are platform inspecific. You can compile the plugin anywhere and run it anywhere else. The compiler does, however, add full path information about the source files and includes, and can potentially have date/time information. This is for debugging only.

If you narrow down your crash problem, please make a new topic. Make sure you're using Metamod 1.19.

Note that what you see in a .amxx file is not the plugin's bytecode. It's the bytecode, debugging information, and plugin header table layout, gzipped. The compression can vastly change the encoding.