Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Half Life 1 Events: Registering, Using, and Reading them

Post New Thread Reply   

Doc-Holiday
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-18-2010 , 00:34   Re: Half Life 1 Events: Registering, Using, and Reading them
Reply With Quote #31

Arc is right though

when its easier to read its easier to understand...
Seta00
The Seta00 user has crashed.
Old 02-18-2010 , 14:24   Re: Half Life 1 Events: Registering, Using, and Reading them
Reply With Quote #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkshine View Post
one and only one default style ( AINSI ).
*ANSI

There isn't any default style. If you start programming in C, you'll see mostly codes using K&R, just as you see in Java. But if you start programming in Python, for example, there's no style at all (in Python, indents define code blocks); if you start programming in Lisp, you'll think all other styles are strange. A cleaner style for one might be a completely different style for others.

Quote:
The first thing to do should be learning the very basics of the language.
That's the point. Learning the basics of the language means learning to catch identifiers easily, and by doing so understanding the code no matter what style it uses. For example, the Pawn Language Guide, designed to beginners in Pawn, uses GNU's coding style convention, which I think is one of the ugliest, not used styles, but still, everyone can understand what it does.

Quote:
If all plugins were using the same style and with consistent coding, there would be more users enjoying the coding.
If you really have difficulties with one particular code style, you can use a source code formatter.
We're not writing big source for big projects, we are scripting, and in the scripting world, the maintainer of the source is almost always the creator.

My final opinion is that: When you're reading someone else's code, you have to respect the author choice. And I say more, you have to use his coding style to learn his code. Many programmers have particular choices while coding that helps us, readers, to find important sections of the code. Like I said, if you really can't read other styles, you can always use a source code formatter.

Last edited by Seta00; 02-18-2010 at 14:28.
Arkshine
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 02-18-2010 , 15:50   Re: Half Life 1 Events: Registering, Using, and Reading them
Reply With Quote #33

Quote:
There isn't any default style. If you start programming in C, you'll see mostly codes using K&R, just as you see in Java. But if you start programming in Python, for example, there's no style at all (in Python, indents define code blocks); if you start programming in Lisp, you'll think all other styles are strange. A cleaner style for one might be a completely different style for others.
I don't care about others languages. I'm talking about to use readable/easy style as default style to learn the basics. The ANSI style is a good choice because the user will understand more easily a code with clarity, will help to identify fastly part of code. "A cleaner style for one might be a completely different style for others." ; a very beginner should learn with a simple/cleaner style. The reason is obvious. Like writing words with one space between them it's a pain to read if all are glued together. The same for the coding. Lining up the brackets appears as "logic" and the block will look cleaner. It's important because a beginner needs to have a solid and logic view on what he's doing. It's because far after when he's starting to know how to code, he will naturally adapt the style to his preference. You burn the steps.

Quote:
That's the point. Learning the basics of the language means learning to catch identifiers easily, and by doing so understanding the code no matter what style it uses. For example, the Pawn Language Guide, designed to beginners in Pawn, uses GNU's coding style convention, which I think is one of the ugliest, not used styles, but still, everyone can understand what it does.
Again, you are talking for users which have already some knowledge. It sounds like you have forgotten what is to be beginner, when you know nothing.

Quote:
If you really have difficulties with one particular code style, you can use a source code formatter.
We're not writing big source for big projects, we are scripting, and in the scripting world, the maintainer of the source is almost always the creator.
ALLO. You are not alone on the earth. It's a forum to share knowledge and helping others. I'm here since 2005, I know how people have difficulties to learn when you see most of code are not not well readable or because the clarity is null. Ah yes, how nice to read when all is glued together. For sure it will help the very beginner...

Quote:
My final opinion is that: When you're reading someone else's code, you have to respect the author choice. And I say more, you have to use his coding style to learn his code. Many programmers have particular choices while coding that helps us, readers, to find important sections of the code. Like I said, if you really can't read other styles, you can always use a source code formatter.
You are too self-centered. Just because you know many languages doesn't mean that all people are the same. When you code you should think for people who will read you, because it's like that you will help others beginners to evolve more easily. That's not a matter of respecting the author or whatever, it's a matter it's a community here where most of users doesn't have at all a coding knowledge. We should help them to get a more mature community with more and more good coder.

Last edited by Arkshine; 02-18-2010 at 15:59.
Seta00
The Seta00 user has crashed.
Old 02-18-2010 , 18:03   Re: Half Life 1 Events: Registering, Using, and Reading them
Reply With Quote #34

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm not gonna let this debate go longer because it will never end.
People can make their own decisions.
Doc-Holiday
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-19-2010 , 03:10   Re: Half Life 1 Events: Registering, Using, and Reading them
Reply With Quote #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seta00 View Post
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm not gonna let this debate go longer because it will never end.
People can make their own decisions.

MY last little though thoug is on here

Plugins can be released in any form and style how ever

Tutorials and help should be restricted to that really beautiful Space waster