Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

**Cant Defrag**

Post New Thread Reply   

enotic
Old 02-15-2005 , 11:06   **Cant Defrag**
Reply With Quote #1

I have my good computer which is pretty sweet, but i really want to get use oout of my older one to. Its pretty powerful, but it running windows 98 and it has so much crap on it. I was just wondering if anyone new how i could fix this, besides reformating *i lost my disk* It would be great if someone knew a way i could reformat without a disk though . But if not i would like to no why my defrag bar goes to 5% then goes back to 1%. So if anyone has any tips for me that would be great.

P.S. THis is all working toward this comp being a server with AMX mod once i figure out that runtime error.
twistedeuphoria
Veteran Member
Old 02-15-2005 , 12:16  
Reply With Quote #2

This should be in off topic. What are you trying to do reformat or not? If you are open up a dos promt and go to C:\fdisk
Old 02-15-2005 , 16:29  
Reply With Quote #3

wow...gg runtime error, please check the stickies.

And look for third party defraggers, Windows 98 defrag sucked terribley, and even myself and my family had to use a third party program to defrag the hard drive (a measly 10 GB one at that..).

Just create a start up disk? There is an option in windows 98 to make one, so why don't you? =\
Old 02-15-2005 , 20:33  
Reply With Quote #4

Thank you for moving my post to the right thread. I can easily open the defrag program but when i hit start it just stays at 0% and does nothing. Can i download anything else that can help?
BlueRaja
Old 02-15-2005 , 22:06  
Reply With Quote #5

1. Windows has the built option to create a boot-disk; however, if that for whatever reason fails, you could google "boot disks" and find hundreds of programs to do it for you...
If memory serves me correctly, I always used bootdisks.com, or something like that...

2. It's not defragging because you still have services writing to the HDD running in the background. If this is '98, just ctrl+alt+delete and kill all the unimportant processes.
Send a message via AIM to BlueRaja Send a message via MSN to BlueRaja
Realitive_Context
Old 02-16-2005 , 22:16  
Reply With Quote #6

nortan ghost, as for the runtime error install it manualy.