Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[CS:GO] Google Cloud Issue, not showing up in community list

Post New Thread Reply   

kaeming
Old 04-04-2018 , 14:43   [CS:GO] Google Cloud Issue, not showing up in community list
Reply With Quote #1

Hey,
I'm currently hosting my server in asia-southeast1 , using google cloud.
However, the server geolocation shows up in the United States, and not Southeast asia.
This is an issue by google cloud as seen from https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...or-zone-europe

Ping/latency etc are fine ingame, running at 5ms only.
The major issue here is that, the server doesn't show up in the community list no matter what i do.
Things i've tried:
- sv_region
- glst already set
- host name/players etc settings are set properly at 1,2,2

The server shows up in USA in gametracker, and not southeastasia, so i'm assuming the problem lies on the geolocation of the server. Any possible workaround for this?

Note:
- The server shows up in community list when i search for the tag by stopping refresh and refresh again.
Example ( in sequence ):
1. Community list refreshing
2. search for tag 'example'
3. no servers are found
4. press stop refresh
5. press refresh all
6. my server is found

Last edited by kaeming; 04-04-2018 at 14:43.
Lubricant Jam
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-05-2018 , 04:18   Re: [CS:GO] Google Cloud Issue, not showing up in community list
Reply With Quote #2

I can safely tell you that it's not due to it showing up as US. That's just the old geolocation of that IP and where it was assigned last, doesn't mean it's from the US.

As for GameTracker, they just take it by it's geolocation again. This does not mean it's in the US. The server browser simply shows servers via ping.

Last edited by Lubricant Jam; 04-05-2018 at 04:19.
kaeming
Old 04-05-2018 , 05:20   Re: [CS:GO] Google Cloud Issue, not showing up in community list
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubricant Jam View Post
I can safely tell you that it's not due to it showing up as US. That's just the old geolocation of that IP and where it was assigned last, doesn't mean it's from the US.

As for GameTracker, they just take it by it's geolocation again. This does not mean it's in the US. The server browser simply shows servers via ping.
What i'm telling u is that , because of this, the server doesn't show up in community list despite the fact that the server is hosted in Singapore ( Southeast asia ), unless i refresh again.
Servers show up based on geolocation ( the nearer, the faster it'll load )
My servers are running at 4-5ms.
The whois record is pointed to Google LLC which is located in the US, causing gametracker/srcds to be confused with the actual location
Lubricant Jam
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-05-2018 , 05:52   Re: [CS:GO] Google Cloud Issue, not showing up in community list
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeming View Post
What i'm telling u is that , because of this, the server doesn't show up in community list despite the fact that the server is hosted in Singapore ( Southeast asia ), unless i refresh again.
Servers show up based on geolocation ( the nearer, the faster it'll load )
My servers are running at 4-5ms.
The whois record is pointed to Google LLC which is located in the US, causing gametracker/srcds to be confused with the actual location
Your servers will be 4-5ms regardless of where it's geolocated because it's HOSTED in Singapore. That IP was last issued to a server in America therefore it's still reporting and America.

What's your server IP?
kaeming
Old 04-05-2018 , 06:50   Re: [CS:GO] Google Cloud Issue, not showing up in community list
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Your servers will be 4-5ms regardless of where it's geolocated because it's HOSTED in Singapore. That IP was last issued to a server in America therefore it's still reporting and America.

What's your server IP?
It's not because it was issued to a server in america before, it's because Google uses SWIP system, a shared whois project. So no matter where my server is hosted, the geolocation will be located at the same area.
And yes, i know it has low latency due to the fact that it's hosted in Singapore.
I'm telling you that the server is going around 4-5ms because you claim that,
Quote:
The server browser simply shows servers via ping.
Whereas, my server which is running between 4-5ms , is not shown in the list, even when i try to search for it.
It shows up after 20-30sec when i searched for my server tag.

also fyi , i'm pretty sure servers show up based on geolocation and not ping
Lubricant Jam
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-05-2018 , 07:46   Re: [CS:GO] Google Cloud Issue, not showing up in community list
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
It's not because it was issued to a server in america before, it's because Google uses SWIP system, a shared whois project. So no matter where my server is hosted, the geolocation will be located at the same area.
And yes, i know it has low latency due to the fact that it's hosted in Singapore.
I'm telling you that the server is going around 4-5ms because you claim that,

Whereas, my server which is running between 4-5ms , is not shown in the list, even when i try to search for it.
It shows up after 20-30sec when i searched for my server tag.

also fyi , i'm pretty sure servers show up based on geolocation and not ping
If it's showing up after around 20-30 seconds then there's something wrong with the firewall on that server. I would personally NEVER go with cloud hosting for game servers. They're just not practical.
kaeming
Old 04-05-2018 , 08:05   Re: [CS:GO] Google Cloud Issue, not showing up in community list
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
If it's showing up after around 20-30 seconds then there's something wrong with the firewall on that server. I would personally NEVER go with cloud hosting for game servers. They're just not practical.
please tell me how does firewall affect slow loading,
also yes, i was just testing it out since it’s way cheaper .
not to mention , firewall is disabled .

Last edited by kaeming; 04-05-2018 at 08:12.
Lubricant Jam
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-05-2018 , 08:36   Re: [CS:GO] Google Cloud Issue, not showing up in community list
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
please tell me how does firewall affect slow loading,
also yes, i was just testing it out since it’s way cheaper .
not to mention , firewall is disabled .
... I'm not talking about Windows Firewall. I'm talking about their in-house DDoS mitigation as well as their rules.
kaeming
Old 04-06-2018 , 01:48   Re: [CS:GO] Google Cloud Issue, not showing up in community list
Reply With Quote #9

I've contacted them and confirmed it's due to ip location. ( which can't be changed , claimed by google cloud support )
Request close thread
Lubricant Jam
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-06-2018 , 05:48   Re: [CS:GO] Google Cloud Issue, not showing up in community list
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
I've contacted them and confirmed it's due to ip location. ( which can't be changed , claimed by google cloud support )
Request close thread
Google will claim anything for a "simple fix". Glad you've come to a conclusion however.