Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Dropbox changed their system(FastDL no longer works)

Post New Thread Reply   

urban_ninja
Old 12-29-2012 , 16:10   Dropbox changed their system(FastDL no longer works)
Reply With Quote #1

Dropbox blows now. They changed their site's protocol to https and all download now require a manual download confirmation via button on webpage. HL engine no longer recognizes dropbox as a FastDL source thanks to their indexing structure changes and web address protocol change.
Old 12-29-2012 , 16:14   Re: Dropbox changed their system(FastDL no longer works)
Reply With Quote #2

Dropbox was never meant to be used for fast download. I'm sure it has been in their TOS this whole time. It's just that they got around to fixing it from the technical side. Hurray DropBox.
Old 12-29-2012 , 17:30   Re: Dropbox changed their system(FastDL no longer works)
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
Dropbox was never meant to be used for fast download. I'm sure it has been in their TOS this whole time. It's just that they got around to fixing it from the technical side. Hurray DropBox.
Still sucks though. Its very difficult to find hosting that doesn't oppose FastDL purposes let alone for free.

Last edited by urban_ninja; 12-29-2012 at 17:31.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 12-29-2012 , 17:36   Re: Dropbox changed their system(FastDL no longer works)
Reply With Quote #4

There is no such reliable, free service. Dropbox was never indented for this purpose and I applaud them for making this change. If you want reliable service, you will need to cough up some cash, just like everything else on the Internet

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
Mordekay
Squirrel of Fortune
Old 12-29-2012 , 17:39   Re: Dropbox changed their system(FastDL no longer works)
Reply With Quote #5

Somewhen you will learn that nothing in this world is for free.
I had servers since somewhat 10 years and i tried exactly one time running parts of it for free. It was a desaster.
Since then i payed all the time for it and never regret it. It works as i wanted it to work.

urban_ninja
Old 12-29-2012 , 18:33   Re: Dropbox changed their system(FastDL no longer works)
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
There is no such reliable, free service. Dropbox was never indented for this purpose and I applaud them for making this change. If you want reliable service, you will need to cough up some cash, just like everything else on the Internet
You're glad they made the change? Why are you against things for nothing? Its not hurting you. Its not your company. Its not your profit loss. Why do you care that much about users exploiting services for their unintended purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekay View Post
Somewhen you will learn that nothing in this world is for free.
I had servers since somewhat 10 years and i tried exactly one time running parts of it for free. It was a desaster.
Since then i payed all the time for it and never regret it. It works as i wanted it to work.
Its not true that NOTHING in the world is free. Just that something won't be as good as the paid. By your logic on that, software like comodo internet security, auslogics(disc defrag, registry cleaner,reg defrag,ect..) ccleaner, speccy, xfire, Irfanview, PageBreeze visual html editor, FileZilla, and sevices like website hosting,ect wouldn't exist as free. if I had to list genuine freebies I would be here all week maybe more. Im not talking about free 'trials' either. As the internet ages, more and more things are becoming free. Verses a few years ago I'm still seeing new free services popping out of the woodwork every year more frequently. Free is on the incline while paid services are decreasing in cost. Theres no FastDL / game server hosting for free but who knows what the future holds. Used to be the same way for web hosting at one point but these days the internet is caked with free web hosting and more to come.

EDIT: Heck some of the freebies of a type I find are better than ones you pay for.

Last edited by urban_ninja; 12-29-2012 at 18:36.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 12-29-2012 , 19:04   Re: Dropbox changed their system(FastDL no longer works)
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_ninja View Post
You're glad they made the change?
Yup. Gives them more room to expand, grow, and develop new features. You need to look at the bigger picture.

Quote:
Why are you against things for nothing?
Never said or implied that I was against things for nothing. I use free products all the time.

Quote:
Its not hurting you. Its not your company. Its not your profit loss.
Right, but I understand more than the common person from the developer/company perspective. I am more than willing to donate to or purchase a free product just to support the developer, I have done it before. I have even contributed well over the retail price on a few Kickstarter campaigns.

Quote:
Why do you care that much about users exploiting services for their unintended purposes?
Because it is wrong and can have unintended consequences on other users using the service for the intended purposes (now granted that isn't likely to happen with Dropbox since they are using AWS)

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 12-29-2012 , 19:04   Re: Dropbox changed their system(FastDL no longer works)
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Its not true that NOTHING in the world is free.
You are being very narrow minded when you say this. FYI.
Old 12-29-2012 , 19:14   Re: Dropbox changed their system(FastDL no longer works)
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
You are being very narrow minded when you say this. FYI.
Please expand on that statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
Yup. Gives them more room to expand, grow, and develop new features. You need to look at the bigger picture.

Never said or implied that I was against things for nothing. I use free products all the time.

Right, but I understand more than the common person from the developer/company perspective. I am more than willing to donate to or purchase a free product just to support the developer, I have done it before. I have even contributed well over the retail price on a few Kickstarter campaigns.

Because it is wrong and can have unintended consequences on other users using the service for the intended purposes (now granted that isn't likely to happen with Dropbox since they are using AWS)
Whats AWS?
Old 12-29-2012 , 19:16   Re: Dropbox changed their system(FastDL no longer works)
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Whats AWS?
Amazon Web Services