Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Sharing a banlist between 2 servers

Post New Thread Reply   

[TooL] Faaip De Oiad
Old 06-13-2005 , 06:56   Sharing a banlist between 2 servers
Reply With Quote #1

What a pain in the ass.

I have a macro set up with UltraEdit32 that will sync up the files, but I have to download the four banlists, open them in Ultra-Edit, run the macro 3X, then re-upload to the server folders.

Is there a way to get the game to save and load the banned_user.cfg and banned_ip.cfg from a different sub-folder of /cfg so I can make a virtual directory that all 4 servers share and avoid this headache?

Is there a different or better way to do this?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2005 , 11:45  
Reply With Quote #2

If your running on a linux machine you can move your curent files somewhere common, then make symbolic links from where your curent config files reside to the common files.

The problem with this method is that some bans will be lost. If two servers place a ban durring the same map, the first one to change maps is going to lose that ban, but if you dont ban many people at one time, you should be alright.

Another option if your are on a linux server is to write a shell script to combind the files, and use cron to automaticly execute it. The code would look something like this.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cat /path/to/first/cfg > temp
cat /path/to/secound/cfg >> temp
cat /path/to/third/cfg >> temp

sort temp | uniq > temp2

cp temp2 path/to/first/cfg
cp temp2 path/to/secound/cfg
cp temp2 path/to/third/cfg

rm temp temp2
Send a message via AIM to basicer Send a message via MSN to basicer Send a message via Yahoo to basicer
Geesu
Veteran Member
Old 06-15-2005 , 12:39  
Reply With Quote #3

sourcebans might be out soon
[TooL] Faaip De Oiad
Old 06-15-2005 , 16:49  
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesu
Fuck Steam bans. They're delayed (so cheaters run free between the times that Valve runs the bans), and they don't stop people from draining my server in the meantime.

Plus, if VAC2 is anything like VAC, Valve will keep it up to date for 6 or 7 months, then get bored and do nothing but keep servers from running things like C-D or PB, but not update VAC.
Old 06-15-2005 , 22:08  
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by [TooL
Faaip De Oiad]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesu
Fuck Steam bans. They're delayed (so cheaters run free between the times that Valve runs the bans), and they don't stop people from draining my server in the meantime.

Plus, if VAC2 is anything like VAC, Valve will keep it up to date for 6 or 7 months, then get bored and do nothing but keep servers from running things like C-D or PB, but not update VAC.
he didnt say steambans, he said sourcebans. it's the source version of amxbans
Old 06-19-2005 , 01:36  
Reply With Quote #6

...and these are confirmed bans? I'm not interested in banning everyone who's ever pissed off some power-hungry admin...
Old 06-19-2005 , 06:02  
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by [TooL
Faaip De Oiad]...and these are confirmed bans? I'm not interested in banning everyone who's ever pissed off some power-hungry admin...
.... atleast try to find out what it is before you knock it.... it doesnt come with prebanned articles but rather is a database for your servers to share one or more. only servers that wish to use a database install it.

the older hl1 version :
http://www.xs4all.nl/~yomama/amxbans/
Old 06-19-2005 , 07:24  
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin
.... atleast try to find out what it is before you knock it.... it doesnt come with prebanned articles but rather is a database for your servers to share one or more. only servers that wish to use a database install it.
You're right, my bad. I jumped on that without knowing what I was talking about.

I had assumed it would be something like this:

http://www.steambans.com/
Old 06-19-2005 , 12:02  
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicer
If your running on a linux machine you can move your curent files somewhere common, then make symbolic links from where your curent config files reside to the common files.

The problem with this method is that some bans will be lost. If two servers place a ban durring the same map, the first one to change maps is going to lose that ban, but if you dont ban many people at one time, you should be alright.

Another option if your are on a linux server is to write a shell script to combind the files, and use cron to automaticly execute it. The code would look something like this.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cat /path/to/first/cfg > temp
cat /path/to/secound/cfg >> temp
cat /path/to/third/cfg >> temp

sort temp | uniq > temp2

cp temp2 path/to/first/cfg
cp temp2 path/to/secound/cfg
cp temp2 path/to/third/cfg

rm temp temp2
That works on windows too, if you get cygwin
Veteran Member
Old 06-19-2005 , 13:02  
Reply With Quote #10

if you use the symlink version and use mattie event script throw writeid is for occasionally executed events and it will ensure a better saving of bans I suppose ( just an idea)