Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

SM use databases_x.cfg file for multiple servers

Post New Thread Reply   

MjrNuT
SourceMod Donor
Old 02-12-2009 , 15:04   SM use databases_x.cfg file for multiple servers
Reply With Quote #1

My search came up, inadequate. Or I used really bad word choice. So I don't mind a lashing.

Default SM executes databases.cfg file. In the case of multiple servers, different game mods, is it possible to change that filename?

For example, how may I have SM use databases_svr#.cfg? Is that possible?

My community is in the minority here w/ 3 game servers, but even keeping track of the differences b/t those cfg files can be....just an annoyance. Idk, I just like to know exactly what I'm looking at by filename mostly, if that's possible in this case. Those of you with many more servers, assuming you different configs in the subject file, are you having this annoyance?

Thanks in advance.
recon0
Veteran Member
Old 02-12-2009 , 17:31   Re: SM use databases_x.cfg file for multiple servers
Reply With Quote #2

Anything is possible

The complexity depends on what part of SourceMod reads databases.cfg. AFAIK it must be done by the core. If you wanted to change what file it reads based on a cvar that you could set from the command line, you will need to compile the core (complicated on Windows even for a professional developer) and write a plugin that creates the cvar that you'll use. Or if you wanted to, you could use the IP and Port to make up whatever string you want.

Here's where it gets tricky... The timing of the cvar creation and setting must come BEFORE the core tries to read the file, otherwise it won't be able to figure out what file it's supposed to read.

Do you use the same instance of SourceMod for all of your servers or? I just trying to figure out why you would want to create this kind of config file naming.

Last edited by recon0; 02-12-2009 at 17:34.
Kenny Loggins
SourceMod Donor
Old 02-13-2009 , 03:06   Re: SM use databases_x.cfg file for multiple servers
Reply With Quote #3

Dude just put each server in its own directory.. I run over 40 like that and while yes it can add some extra time to admining the servers it also has its plus sides and isolation is not necessarily a bad thing....

Server Admin / Leader
ClanAO.com
BAILOPAN
Old 02-13-2009 , 09:47   Re: SM use databases_x.cfg file for multiple servers
Reply With Quote #4

Kenny Loggins has the correct solution. SourceMod isn't designed to support multiple server instances from one install - and most likely never will.

For common ground you can use symlinks.
SourceMod Donor
Old 02-13-2009 , 12:59   Re: SM use databases_x.cfg file for multiple servers
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon0 View Post
Anything is possible

The complexity depends on what part of SourceMod reads databases.cfg. AFAIK it must be done by the core. If you wanted to change what file it reads based on a cvar that you could set from the command line, you will need to compile the core (complicated on Windows even for a professional developer) and write a plugin that creates the cvar that you'll use. Or if you wanted to, you could use the IP and Port to make up whatever string you want.

Here's where it gets tricky... The timing of the cvar creation and setting must come BEFORE the core tries to read the file, otherwise it won't be able to figure out what file it's supposed to read.
recon0, I so wish I could speak your gibberish. That is what it is to me, however, it is greatly appreciated. I lack the bwainz for the above spew you provided though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon0 View Post
Do you use the same instance of SourceMod for all of your servers or? I just trying to figure out why you would want to create this kind of config file naming.
No. I have a separate SM installs for each server. Ergo different databases.cfg files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Loggins View Post
Dude just put each server in its own directory.. I run over 40 like that and while yes it can add some extra time to admining the servers it also has its plus sides and isolation is not necessarily a bad thing....
Thanks Kenny. I guess it doesn't bother you that much having a folder directory like:

GS#1\addons\sourcemod\configs\databases.cfg
GS#40\addons\sourcemod\configs\databases.cfg

(I'm assuming in this that all databases.cfg files are different here as the worst management case to consider).

And my original post was premised by:
Quote:
My community is in the minority here w/ 3 game servers, but even keeping track of the differences b/t those cfg files can be....just an annoyance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
Kenny Loggins has the correct solution. SourceMod isn't designed to support multiple server instances from one install - and most likely never will.

For common ground you can use symlinks.
Sorry, I wasn't implying or requesting this. Hopefully I have clarified above.

I was looking to see if its possible, w/ my situation and even KLs situation to do the following, and this is purely for management of the file in question:

\\GSs_databasesfiles\configs\databases_Ip1.cf g
...\databases_Ip2.cfg
...\databases_Ip40.cfg

The admin can edit as pleased the files in a single directory or w/e. Then upload the respective databases_IpX.cfg to each server. This just makes for tracking/managing of each a bit more simple for the extreme example provided, all GSs have different setups.
Kenny Loggins
SourceMod Donor
Old 02-13-2009 , 15:02   Re: SM use databases_x.cfg file for multiple servers
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MjrNuT View Post
recon0, I so wish I could speak your gibberish. That is what it is to me, however, it is greatly appreciated. I lack the bwainz for the above spew you provided though.

No. I have a separate SM installs for each server. Ergo different databases.cfg files.

Thanks Kenny. I guess it doesn't bother you that much having a folder directory like:

GS#1\addons\sourcemod\configs\databases.cfg
GS#40\addons\sourcemod\configs\databases.cfg

(I'm assuming in this that all databases.cfg files are different here as the worst management case to consider).

And my original post was premised by:

Sorry, I wasn't implying or requesting this. Hopefully I have clarified above.

I was looking to see if its possible, w/ my situation and even KLs situation to do the following, and this is purely for management of the file in question:

\\GSs_databasesfiles\configs\databases_Ip1.cf g
...\databases_Ip2.cfg
...\databases_Ip40.cfg

The admin can edit as pleased the files in a single directory or w/e. Then upload the respective databases_IpX.cfg to each server. This just makes for tracking/managing of each a bit more simple for the extreme example provided, all GSs have different setups.
I'm not sure what this is "(I'm assuming in this that all databases.cfg files are different here as the worst management case to consider)."

But yes i.e. TF21, TF22, TF23 and L4D1 .... etc

number #1 you can use batch files to help you make changes. It’s also easy to just change the path in the address bar (The 1 to a 2) when you are navigating the directory structure.

All my databases.cfg's are 100% the same on all servers and while the numbered directory structure (TF21 ...) does require a text file to keep track of what is what.

You really should have no need to have different databases.cfg if so please explain more on what server setup you are trying to run?

Server Admin / Leader
ClanAO.com
MjrNuT
SourceMod Donor
Old 02-13-2009 , 15:37   Re: SM use databases_x.cfg file for multiple servers
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
I'm not sure what this is "(I'm assuming in this that all databases.cfg files are different here as the worst management case to consider)."

But yes i.e. TF21, TF22, TF23 and L4D1 .... etc

number #1 you can use batch files to help you make changes. It’s also easy to just change the path in the address bar (The 1 to a 2) when you are navigating the directory structure.

All my databases.cfg's are 100% the same on all servers and while the numbered directory structure (TF21 ...) does require a text file to keep track of what is what.

You really should have no need to have different databases.cfg if so please explain more on what server setup you are trying to run?
Yeah, your setup is worthless to me b/c of what I bolded ^.

My example is:
Quote:
(I'm assuming in this that all databases.cfg files are different here as the worst management case to consider)
Put another way:

TF2 server has the use of maprates plugin.

L4D server does not.

Different databases.cfg files
Kenny Loggins
SourceMod Donor
Old 02-13-2009 , 15:48   Re: SM use databases_x.cfg file for multiple servers
Reply With Quote #8

You can still have the database entry for the maprate plugin in the servers that don't run it.. It will not create any problems for you and will just make things that much more easy for you to admin.

Server Admin / Leader
ClanAO.com
recon0
Veteran Member
Old 02-13-2009 , 16:26   Re: SM use databases_x.cfg file for multiple servers
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
You can still have the database entry for the maprate plugin in the servers that don't run it.. It will not create any problems for you and will just make things that much more easy for you to admin.
Exactly.

If you're running on Linux, just make a link and have all the servers share one config file.
Old 02-13-2009 , 16:32   Re: SM use databases_x.cfg file for multiple servers
Reply With Quote #10

That's not what I asked, nor my issue that you're referring to.

I merely wanted to know if this was some configuring issue or simple redirection (i.e., server1.cfg, server2.cfg, or mapcycle_admins.txt).

Alas I'm fine that this is not available with the databases.cfg. To each their own.

Thanks anyways.