Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Pinion Discussion Thread

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 12-07-2012 , 07:28   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Keep it civil, guys, and please don't derail.
Old 12-07-2012 , 15:50   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixmark View Post
for you

Forcing ads is lame... I blacklist any I come across.

If the server is good etc I donate to them but not via forced ads.
To me this post is nothing more than SPUF filtering in on a valid discussion. I've not even seen this message from Pinion however now that I have I'm going to have to figure out a way to keep some cash flow for people joining my servers while also not making people mad or upset cause they simply do not understand that money does not grow on trees.

The way I read this is it now gives operators options to force more ads in the middle of game play and to me that is not a very good idea at all. The 5 seconds to close MOTD is plenty and just seeing the ad for a few seconds to me is plenty to create an impression to pay out on - some people watch it all some don't and very few will click anything cause they are there to play the game not go off into a website to review a product - they may come back later if they remember but that's about it.

Lets talk options here - is Pinion the only such company?

Last edited by Horsedick; 12-07-2012 at 15:52.
Fearts
ferts of daeth
Old 12-07-2012 , 17:41   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

This change to me seemed inevitable. The amount of money they were paying out to the ratio of watched ads seemed way to good to be true. No one watches those ads unless the host forces them to, and if they are ever clicked on it's by mistake.

The 85% watch time for a 33% increase in payout seems fair to those who wish to make a little extra. However, I am having a hard time understanding the 60%-85% comment:

"Our advertising partners only pay us based on advertisements we serve over a particular duration and impressions from any community with less than a 60% average completion rate will not be purchased. Impressions with a completion rate between 60% and 85% we will pay for on a scale of between $0.00 and $1.50 eCPM in this view range."

Does this mean if you have a 60% view rate you get paid less than $1.50 per 1k or are you just getting paid $1.50? If the answer is they must watch 60% to get paid $1.50 per 1k this means you would have to force people to watch the Ad for at least 18 seconds (Ads are up to 30 seconds long). This is rather long.

The 60 day wait period is somewhat annoying also. I am not sure what I am going to do since I now have expanded so much due the the funds I received I somewhat rely on payment.
Old 12-07-2012 , 17:42   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearts View Post
This change to me seemed inevitable. The amount of money they were paying out to the ratio of watched ads seemed way to good to be true. No one watches those ads unless the host forces them to, and if they are ever clicked on it's by mistake.

The 85% watch time for a 33% increase in payout seems fair to those who wish to make a little extra. However, I am having a hard time understanding the 60%-85% comment:

"Our advertising partners only pay us based on advertisements we serve over a particular duration and impressions from any community with less than a 60% average completion rate will not be purchased. Impressions with a completion rate between 60% and 85% we will pay for on a scale of between $0.00 and $1.50 eCPM in this view range."

Does this mean if you have a 60% view rate you get paid less than $1.50 per 1k or are you just getting paid $1.50? If the answer is they must watch 60% to get paid $1.50 per 1k this means you would have to force people to watch the Ad for at least 18 seconds (Ads are up to 30 seconds long). This is rather long.

The 60 day wait period is somewhat annoying also. I am not sure what I am going to do since I now have expanded so much due the the funds I received I somewhat rely on payment.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat here... :/
Old 12-07-2012 , 18:19   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

I take it as they mean that if you do not have a 60% avg. completion rate you will not get paid for the impressions. And yes, it's going to be quite hard and a lot of communities will suffer from it unfortunantly, it was indeed inevitable.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-07-2012 , 18:27   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

I apologize in advance since this is likely to be considered a derail:

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
~lick~
Old 12-07-2012 , 20:24   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

So the way i kind of see it, is if your a small community (their slogan) then you will probably loose alot of money now, and probably wont be able to stay up for much longer.+

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixmark View Post
for you

Forcing ads is lame... I blacklist any I come across.

If the server is good etc I donate to them but not via forced ads.
(derail again, sorry!) not only that the ads are helping the server stay up, they help the owner give back, by either expanding, or have some sort of contests to give the money back. just because your forced to watch a 5-10 second clip, which may be irrelevant to you, dosent mean the server is trying to feed off your soul, and that you should black list a server for doing so.

Last edited by Mitchell; 12-07-2012 at 20:30.
vodka00
Veteran Member
Old 12-07-2012 , 22:27   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
So the way i kind of see it, is if your a small community (their slogan) then you will probably loose alot of money now, and probably wont be able to stay up for much longer.+

(derail again, sorry!) not only that the ads are helping the server stay up, they help the owner give back, by either expanding, or have some sort of contests to give the money back. just because your forced to watch a 5-10 second clip, which may be irrelevant to you, dosent mean the server is trying to feed off your soul, and that you should black list a server for doing so.
Well, people are entitled to their own opinion on different matter. I think players are there to play a game and not be a part of monetizing scheme.

cw speedruns:
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 12-07-2012 , 22:30   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka00 View Post
Well, people are entitled to their own opinion on different matter. I think players are there to play a game and not be a part of monetizing scheme.
I would tend to agree, but the server has to be paid for somehow. Ads are a good non-intrusive way to pay for servers.
Old 12-07-2012 , 23:47   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
I would tend to agree, but the server has to be paid for somehow. Ads are a good non-intrusive way to pay for servers.
exactly - a few seconds prior to playing the game doesn't hurt nothing. Now for the upcoming changes adding a few more seconds to finish the video won't hurt anything either but kinda curious on other changes and I don't care for the 60 day payment but I can deal with that.
Closed Thread