Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[TF2] Possible for a client to change their name?

Post New Thread Reply   

jackliu92
Old 01-25-2012 , 23:29   [TF2] Possible for a client to change their name?
Reply With Quote #1

I guess this is not really server related, kinda like server management question.

For TF2:

Is it possible for a client(player) to change his/her name ingame that is different than his/her steamid profile?

Also will his/her game name update immedately if this player changes steam profile name ingame?

Is it okay(99.999%) to say a player who changes name many times in less than a min uses 3rd party(hack) application?

Thank you for your response.
Old 01-25-2012 , 23:34   Re: [TF2] Possible for a client to change their name?
Reply With Quote #2

No, a client can't change his or her name in-game without changing their Steam profile name unless you have a plugin that does that.

Yes, changing your profile name updates it immediately.

I couldn't say about the hack, but I can say that a user changing their name very rapidly is doing so maliciously.
Old 01-26-2012 , 09:27   Re: [TF2] Possible for a client to change their name?
Reply With Quote #3

SM I believe has a Rename feature under sm_admin but it doesn't allow you to set it to whatever which it could be a start in which that could be used. Someone with an idea of what I'm talking about would have to chim in on it.
jackliu92
Old 01-26-2012 , 15:51   Re: [TF2] Possible for a client to change their name?
Reply With Quote #4

Hmm I do not have anything name chane plugin installed on the server and I never use sm_admin or sm name change function on the server. Also yes a rapid name change user is doing so maliciously, and I believe try using 3rd application to do this. Cuz some of the rapid name change player were changing their name to other player's name.
Old 01-26-2012 , 16:05   Re: [TF2] Possible for a client to change their name?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackliu92 View Post
Hmm I do not have anything name chane plugin installed on the server and I never use sm_admin or sm name change function on the server. Also yes a rapid name change user is doing so maliciously, and I believe try using 3rd application to do this. Cuz some of the rapid name change player were changing their name to other player's name.

just look at your logs, find the Steamid of that or other users and ban them for impersonation..report it over on steamrep if they are doing it to scam someone otherwise just ban em for causing server disruption.