Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Is it possible to run this stuff on non-source servers?

Post New Thread Reply   

Bort
Old 06-29-2021 , 12:36   Is it possible to run this stuff on non-source servers?
Reply With Quote #1

I'm currently running servers for Moon Base Alpha. It's a non-source game that unfortunately gets terrorized by disruptive players. It has it's own Dedicated Server application/script (thing...not sure of the correct term to use it launches a command prompt that can't be typed in to) that doesn't have any admin options.

I'm looking for way I can provide servers for the game that includes admin features. The game only has a kick feature, no ban feature (that works) at all. There's a console "kickban" command but I've either failed to figure out the correct syntax to use to use it or it just plain doesn't work. When a player earns getting kicked and gets kicked they can rejoin the server immediately. The players that earn getting kicked that do return immediately's behavior only gets worse when they're kicked and kicking them over and over again...they just keep rejoining and continuing griefing/disrupting the game. A ban feature is needed.

Is there a way to install SourceMod or AMX on a non-steam dedicated server?

I'm running the servers on spare computers from my home, they're not hosted on a hosting service they're right next to me in the same room I'm in.

I assume the features and content available on this site is only for Source game servers. I figure it's worth asking that question considering there *might* be a way to do it. Hopefully there is!

If it's not possible to use SM or AMX on a non-source dedicated server would anyone have suggestions on how I would go about doing it? I do have full access to the entire server machines, as I've mentioned they're right here next to me.

They are Windows 10 operating systems. I'll virtual machine Linux if I have to, if that will work to provide peace on my servers for players that want to actually play the game and keep the nonsense participants off of it that earn getting banned.

I have tried using network monitors (to get IP's) and firewalls to try and do it but it hasn't worked reliably. Wireshark is overwhelming. I haven't figured out how to get the information I need to put in to the firewall to block a player that earns a ban and other network monitors I've tried either don't capture traffic from that specific machine for some reason (I admit I'm not as knowledgeable with using sniffers as I should be for this so maybe I have a setting wrong or something?) or they capture so things/IP's that trying to geo locate, ping, or trace comes up blank so I believe some of the sniffers I've tried are reporting fake packets. I'm also not really comfortable even trying to do it that way because of the possibilities of what can be done with those apps even though I'm only using them for legal and good reasons.

All I want to do is keep the peace on my servers. Keep people that earn and deserve being banned out and off of them so people can enjoy the game without being terrorized.

The only thing the servers are costing me is paying my ISP bill. The server software and computers running the servers are either free or equipment I have so I would prefer not having to pay for a service like TCadmin. I'm hoping there's a free option available if there isn't a way to use SM or AMX.

The command prompt that runs the server does log IP's but it's not easy or quick digging through thousands of lines of text to find an IP to try with the firewall and that prompt log doesn't tie an IP to a username nor does it list Steam_ID's so....while that's an option that can work it's not efficient and definitely not at all quick or easy.

Can SM or AMX or something available here do this or does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by Bort; 06-29-2021 at 12:38. Reason: turning on reply notification
Spirit_12
Veteran Member
Old 06-29-2021 , 12:55   Re: Is it possible to run this stuff on non-source servers?
Reply With Quote #2

Don't think you can unless the game runs on source engine
Old 06-29-2021 , 21:21   Re: Is it possible to run this stuff on non-source servers?
Reply With Quote #3

Your request is confusing. AMX Mod X runs on HLDS and SourceMod runs on SRCDS. If you're not running a game that is based on one of these then you can't run it.
Old 06-30-2021 , 00:12   Re: Is it possible to run this stuff on non-source servers?
Reply With Quote #4

Thanks, Spirit_12! I've been running servers since the early 1980s, source and HL servers since they existed. I don't know for sure that there isn't a way to use these admin tools for any game. Never know, there might be a way to do it. We don't know for sure until we ask. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort View Post
I'm currently running servers for Moon Base Alpha. It's a non-source game
If that's confusing to someone? Bless them.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 06-30-2021 , 21:39   Re: Is it possible to run this stuff on non-source servers?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Thanks, Spirit_12! I've been running servers since the early 1980s, source and HL servers since they existed. I don't know for sure that there isn't a way to use these admin tools for any game. Never know, there might be a way to do it. We don't know for sure until we ask. Thanks!
AMX Mod X and SourceMod are written based on the API provided by the Half-Life and Source servers. So, yes, in the sense that any application can be written, one can be written for your other game that doesn't run on these two engines.

Quote:
If that's confusing to someone? Bless them.
That statement had absolutely nothing to do with the title of your game. You said "non-Source" so around here that would mean Half-Life but you said that AMX Mod X won't work on your game. You also said "non-Steam" which isn't supported here since the only severs supported here are games based on Steam.

You typed a lot of words to simply ask "Can application X run on Server Y". Therefore, I didn't read your entire post thoroughly. Please forgive me oh mighty one.

Last edited by fysiks; 06-30-2021 at 21:43.