Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Auto Steam Group invite

Post New Thread Reply   

curlefry
Old 07-06-2009 , 23:38   Auto Steam Group invite
Reply With Quote #1

Hello! I was playing Team Fortress 2 the other day and I joined a myTF2 server. All of a sudden I receive an invite to their group! (I presume it was automatic because my status was still on "Sending Client Info," so I was invited the second I connected.)

Anyone know of this plugin? I've Googled my arse off! I seem to be stuck. It seems like a good plugin.
Veteran Member
Old 07-07-2009 , 02:05   Re: Auto Steam Group invite
Reply With Quote #2

this has been requested several times, and the consensus is it's immoral. I myself looked at one point, and found a way to do it, but nobody will do it for you. I decided against it simply because it builds a better community if they join themselves.

An easy alternative is to use the web shortcuts plugin in conjunction with the advertisements plugin to let them know if they type x in chat, it will send them to the steam group.
Old 07-07-2009 , 03:02   Re: Auto Steam Group invite
Reply With Quote #3

Actualy only "the top" popular TF2 servers owners are doing this.. when i join their servers i got auto invited.. so its only for few servers..
Old 07-07-2009 , 19:31   Re: Auto Steam Group invite
Reply With Quote #4

it's just servers like lotus. Any huge bloated gaming community that wants 100,000 members in it's group does this. Lotus has actually taken it so far as to have a bot that automatically invites every steam member to their group. It's really annoying.
Old 07-08-2009 , 15:42   Re: Auto Steam Group invite
Reply With Quote #5

That is pretty crazy. I could see sending an invite to people who connect to the server or even giving the users an option to type something to receive an invite but that is totally crazy. I mean the only point of the community page is really to help players keep up with latest server updates without needing to open a webbrowser or to be auto alerted to an update when they start steam/when update is posted.
Old 07-08-2009 , 17:45   Re: Auto Steam Group invite
Reply With Quote #6

it's really annoying, I've recieved their invite at least 10 times, and their group had over 100,000 members last time i checked.
Old 07-11-2009 , 22:12   Re: Auto Steam Group invite
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexual Harassment Panda View Post
it's just servers like lotus. Any huge bloated gaming community that wants 100,000 members in it's group does this. Lotus has actually taken it so far as to have a bot that automatically invites every steam member to their group. It's really annoying.
That's a lie. There are over 500K players who played on the Lotus servers. That alone is more than enough to invite without needing to invite every steam member.

Though I'm not saying that it would be hard to make a script which did +1 from the very first steam id. However, it would take a very long time as valve has a limit on the amount of invites that can be sent in a set time. Also it would be rather stupid as most of those people probably don't even log in anymore.

If I remember correctly.. someone posted a python script on the HLDS list that did this.

Quote:
it's really annoying, I've recieved their invite at least 10 times, and their group had over 100,000 members last time i checked.
Another lie. Mike from Valve on the official steam forums said it's only possible to invite a person to join a group ONCE. I found this out after bitching there about having a million friends/group invites (slight overstatement).

Try it yourself, invite someone, have them deny (or accept and leave) and send them a group invite again. They won't get one, the exact error that you will get (while attempting to send a second invite) will be:
Quote:
There was a problem inviting this player: %s

Last edited by 1nsane; 07-11-2009 at 22:34.
Sexual Harassment Panda
Veteran Member
Old 07-12-2009 , 04:08   Re: Auto Steam Group invite
Reply With Quote #8

Let me correct you sir, First off, valve is not impervious to hackers. As you may notice, VAC bans lots of people, but you still see hackers, am i not right? This applies to their steam community as well. The way things are supposed to work is not the way things always work. Yes, you are not supposed to be able to invite people multiple times, but I have been invited to the "banned by lotus" group multiple times. I've only been on their server once, and have been invited to that group several times. The admins are mana, and a bot. Go look for yourself, i speak the truth. Don't take everything valve says as the word of god.

Don't just assume that because i have a beef with lotus that I am wrong, sometimes bad things do happen.

Last edited by Sexual Harassment Panda; 07-12-2009 at 04:12.
1nsane
SourceMod Donor
Old 07-12-2009 , 13:43   Re: Auto Steam Group invite
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Yes, you are not supposed to be able to invite people multiple times, but I have been invited to the "banned by lotus" group multiple times. I've only been on their server once, and have been invited to that group several times. The admins are mana, and a bot. Go look for yourself, i speak the truth. Don't take everything valve says as the word of god.
Bot = Script? I see...

When I posted Mike thought that the system was not working properly so he simply looked into my account and saw that there were no duplicates and that everything is working fine. The top groups all have invites going on. If there was no check like this then there would be a lot of complaints on the steam forums about never ending invites to the same group.

And if you think that the system is broken then post on the steam community forums and have Valve look into it. Chances are they will tell you that it's working fine .

EDIT:
I found the script posted on the list by Karl
Code:
*snip*
Again, try it out yourself and see how you can't send multiple invites to the same person.

I see absolutely no problem with inviting people who play on my servers to join my group once. I do it, the top 3 groups still do it, No heroes does it, [modme.info] does it, Sourceop & Voogru did it at some point, and there's way more. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it's bad. One invite to one person is fine.

Well OK... kifferwhatever group probably invites random people and not just people from their servers. But either way they can no longer spam multiple invites to the same person and so in the end it's pretty much fair .

Last edited by devicenull; 03-30-2010 at 21:41.
Sexual Harassment Panda
Veteran Member
Old 07-12-2009 , 16:31   Re: Auto Steam Group invite
Reply With Quote #10

Well it seems you have done rather thorough research. Don't ask me how it was done, as I don't know, and it has been a while, so maybe i am recollecting wrong, but this is how I remember it.

Last edited by Sexual Harassment Panda; 07-12-2009 at 16:33.