Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Getting the Navigational distance between two points (L4D2)

Post New Thread Reply   

Bainshie
Old 09-02-2010 , 05:22   Getting the Navigational distance between two points (L4D2)
Reply With Quote #1

Hey.

Well I'm still working on my item spawning system for L4D2, and it's almost there. I just have one issue.

basically right now what I'm doing is looping through all the item spawns at the beginning, finding the ones I want and saving the entity indexes.

Then I rand get the next pill percentage, and when the players reach that percentage, I get the closest spawn that's in front of the players, and then replace that with whatever item I want.

Now currently I'm getting the distances between the entity and players with the usual vector distance functions. However this has issues with maps such as Dead Center.

What I'm looking for is a way to find the walking distance between two points, not the distance as the noclip bird flies.
Master53
Veteran Member
Old 09-02-2010 , 06:26   Re: Getting the Navigational distance between two points (L4D2)
Reply With Quote #2

PHP Code:
native Float:GetVectorDistance(const Float:vec1[3], const Float:vec2[3], bool:squared=false); 

Bainshie
Old 09-02-2010 , 06:47   Re: Getting the Navigational distance between two points (L4D2)
Reply With Quote #3

Yea that's the function I'm currently using. The issue is it isn't the actual walking distance.

P__________B
A

For instance if P is the player, and A and B are items, item A is closer with the above function, but B is closer in navigational terms (Since you can't actually go through the floor ingame)

Basically I'd guess that there's some kind of AI navigation function that lets you find out the navigational distance between two points.
AtomicStryker
Veteran Member
Old 09-02-2010 , 09:30   Re: Getting the Navigational distance between two points (L4D2)
Reply With Quote #4

There is not. The game creates some weird cache for Bot Navigation, and unless you Assember-Hack into it youre not gonna get distances out of it.
dirka_dirka
Veteran Member
Old 09-02-2010 , 10:34   Re: Getting the Navigational distance between two points (L4D2)
Reply With Quote #5

your probably going to have to create some sort of trace that filters world entities in the z axis.. but you will probably get into trouble when they are on a stairwell (nothing in front, just above/below).

either that or just ignore any spawns that are X units above/below the survivors, and if you cant find anything in range - keep checking (eventually they will change their vertical height).