Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D2] Preventing sending data in ghost mode avoids a cheat?

Post New Thread Reply   

Merc1less
Old 01-27-2021 , 04:34   [L4D2] Preventing sending data in ghost mode avoids a cheat?
Reply With Quote #1

Behind this plugin is a big question mark. It prevents sending data from an infected player in ghost mode to the survivors.

The story behind:

We played a versus game with all talk on and everytime we spawned in ghost mode we heard a typical sound of the special infected on the speakers of the other team. Means, when i spawned as a hunter in ghost mode, i heard the typical scream sound. So they knew what would attack them some seconds later. They recognized this and tried to vote all talk off, but we declined. So they started to play music to drown these sounds.
So far i know, the engine is sending data to the survivors even in ghost mode. For sure i don't know which kind of data, but the plugin avoids this without any known side effects (ok, just during development).

Pros: It avoids the talking symbol above the head of voice chatting players in ghost mode (...and from what i know it is fixed with The Last Stand-Update). On the other hand it reduces the bandwith from server to the infected players

Coming to the point: Does this plugin what i supposed to or is it a bunch of shit?
Attached Files
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (l4d2_anti_ghost_data.sp - 125 views - 2.6 KB)
Old 01-27-2021 , 08:20   Re: [L4D2] Preventing sending data in ghost mode avoids a cheat?
Reply With Quote #2

SetTransmit is only for hiding entities (making it invisible) AFAIK, even with the entity invisible probably you are able to hear it.
To block sounds you have to use something like this (unless the sound is client-side by prediction):

PHP Code:
AddNormalSoundHook(view_as<NormalSHook>(SoundHook));
RemoveNormalSoundHook(view_as<NormalSHook>(SoundHook)); 
PHP Code:
public Action SoundHook(int clients[64], int &numClientschar sample[PLATFORM_MAX_PATH], int &entityint &channelfloat &volumeint &levelint &pitchint &flagschar soundEntry[PLATFORM_MAX_PATH], int &seed)
{

The entity parameter is from which entity the sound is coming from (so think as a client parameter),
You can check its index <= 32 to debugging and reduce the amount of outputs to the chat.
The sample parameter is where you can detect which sound is being played.

Hope it helps.
Old 01-27-2021 , 10:14   Re: [L4D2] Preventing sending data in ghost mode avoids a cheat?
Reply With Quote #3

Thanks for your fast reply!

But i'm not really sure if this kind of "cheat" is all about sound effects. Yes, the survivor player in the other team heard a typical sound when we spawned as a hunter/smoker/whatever in ghost mode (Hunter is screaming, jockey is laughing and what not), but i think, it was a kind of "info" for him as what we will spawn when leaving the ghost mode and we heard it all over all talk on. It gives the survivors team an advantage when they know in what we will spawn after leaving the ghost state. My suggestion was to block these info so that their "cheat" doesn't recognize, in what a kind of special infected we would spawn. Hope, it makes it more clear.

But yes, i have to admit it could be the wrong hook for, or it is even not disableable by a script.
Old 01-27-2021 , 10:51   Re: [L4D2] Preventing sending data in ghost mode avoids a cheat?
Reply With Quote #4

The sound that you are talking about is called "Bacteria Sounds"

There is a related plugin here:

[L4D2] Bacteria Sounds by Silvers

and here

[L4D2] Bacteria Sounds by AtomicStryker

and here

musical_si by Jacob

I just don't remember firing the sound before spawn (while in ghost state)

Maybe you have this installed or is some other plugin if you are using some server pack (e.g. Zonemod).

Last edited by Marttt; 01-27-2021 at 10:57.
Merc1less
Old 01-27-2021 , 11:35   Re: [L4D2] Preventing sending data in ghost mode avoids a cheat?
Reply With Quote #5

Oh yes, that is really similiar to my experience and i know what you meant with the sound hooks by now.
But 3 things are different.

1. None of these plugins (or similiar) were installed on my server.
2. Just 1 survivor made this sound. Our entire team couldn't hear these sounds, even as we played as survivor.
3. It wasn't one of these music sounds (have listened to all bacteria wave files now). This might be changeable via add-on.

Think you are right, it goes into that direction. Thank you!