Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

HTML MOTDs on CS:GO

Post New Thread Reply   

popey456963
Old 05-22-2016 , 04:48   HTML MOTDs on CS:GO
Reply With Quote #1

Now for a most simplistic issue. Just started running a CS:GO server yesterday, got everything setup, plugins, sourcemod, metamod, etc. absolutely beautifully. Nginx reverse proxy with a PHP/Node.js backend? In 10 minutes. Then, I come to setting an MOTD.

And I struggle.

So, in my CS:GO folder I've edited motd.txt to be some text, "Hello" works fine. Then, I realise I can link to a webpage, I'm ecstatic and change it to http://popey.ddns.net/ - A website that currently has one header tag saying "Welcome to the Server!", O most complex of all HTML. I load up CS:GO, and I just get a grey screen which no text on it.

Can anyone see where I went wrong? (My motd.txt is currently a single line with http://popey.ddns.net/ on it)
Float
Old 05-22-2016 , 13:05   Re: HTML MOTDs on CS:GO
Reply With Quote #2

cl_disablehtmlmotd 0 ?
Also, why a nginx reverse proxy?
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 05-22-2016 , 15:29   Re: HTML MOTDs on CS:GO
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by popey456963 View Post
Now for a most simplistic issue. Just started running a CS:GO server yesterday, got everything setup, plugins, sourcemod, metamod, etc. absolutely beautifully. Nginx reverse proxy with a PHP/Node.js backend? In 10 minutes. Then, I come to setting an MOTD.

And I struggle.

So, in my CS:GO folder I've edited motd.txt to be some text, "Hello" works fine. Then, I realise I can link to a webpage, I'm ecstatic and change it to http://popey.ddns.net/ - A website that currently has one header tag saying "Welcome to the Server!", O most complex of all HTML. I load up CS:GO, and I just get a grey screen which no text on it.

Can anyone see where I went wrong? (My motd.txt is currently a single line with http://popey.ddns.net/ on it)
If you are looking to bake a cake, and it needs 10 different ingredients, but you are only using 5 of them, then the result won't be as you expect..

A MOTD window that is 100% black (or, ... "blank" to use your word) is normally the sign of either invalid or missing HTML code.

Code:
<h1>Welcome to the Server!</h1>
is not valid HTML code, you need at least a little bit more than that...

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-22-2016 , 16:25   Re: HTML MOTDs on CS:GO
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne1288 View Post
If you are looking to bake a cake, and it needs 10 different ingredients, but you are only using 5 of them, then the result won't be as you expect..

A MOTD window that is 100% black (or, ... "blank" to use your word) is normally the sign of either invalid or missing HTML code.

Code:
<h1>Welcome to the Server!</h1>
is not valid HTML code, you need at least a little bit more than that...
Actually, thanks to HTML5 winning out over XHTML, it is valid HTML code because the browser will auto-insert the html and body tags for you.
SourceMod Moderator
Old 05-22-2016 , 19:33   Re: HTML MOTDs on CS:GO
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Actually, thanks to HTML5 winning out over XHTML, it is valid HTML code because the browser will auto-insert the html and body tags for you.
While it is true that it would normally work in "most" browsers; the MOTD windows have been very strict during the past, only ending up with a black screen (where you could mark everything to make text visible, etc) unless the HTML/CSS/etc was made very well.

I won't argue whether or not it may have changed within the past 2-3 months or so, but other than that, it has been quite steady on being strict for at least the past 5 years, if not more.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
Float
Old 05-23-2016 , 11:48   Re: HTML MOTDs on CS:GO
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne1288 View Post
While it is true that it would normally work in "most" browsers; the MOTD windows have been very strict during the past, only ending up with a black screen (where you could mark everything to make text visible, etc) unless the HTML/CSS/etc was made very well.

I won't argue whether or not it may have changed within the past 2-3 months or so, but other than that, it has been quite steady on being strict for at least the past 5 years, if not more.
@OP, this means to use
Code:
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<h1>Text here.</h1>
</body>
</html>
and test it.