Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[CS:GO] Player Trails TE_SetupBeamFollow

Post New Thread Reply   

cra88y
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-18-2016 , 01:15   [CS:GO] Player Trails TE_SetupBeamFollow
Reply With Quote #1

I'm trying to do simple player trails using TE_SetupBeamFollow but after standing still for too long the trail gets deleted.. I tried using TIMER_REPEAT but that didn't help either. What would be a good way of making this work and not get deleted while standing still?
KissLick
Veteran Member
Old 12-18-2016 , 07:42   Re: [CS:GO] Player Trails TE_SetupBeamFollow
Reply With Quote #2

This is another thing that was done many times. Google up something like "sourcemod player trail" or go for a plugin that already does this.

> No help through PM, make a topic.
cra88y
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-18-2016 , 13:35   Re: [CS:GO] Player Trails TE_SetupBeamFollow
Reply With Quote #3

I have googled and looked through all the plugins that were similar to what I am trying to do with this but I can't really find a set solution for getting the entity not to disappear. All the plugins and sources I have found don't seem to be able to keep the entity from disappearing when standing still. If you have a certain plugin that you think I haven't look through and does offer this functionality feel free to post it please! Otherwise I just want advice on how to properly make the timer repeat/ trail not disappear.
quake84
Old 12-18-2016 , 14:13   Re: [CS:GO] Player Trails TE_SetupBeamFollow
Reply With Quote #4

Save the entity reference when you spawn it and periodically (not too often though) resolve it back into an ent index. if it exists continue, if it doesn't - respawn. Or just periodically respawn it (and kill the previous one if exists). That will work too.

Last edited by quake84; 12-18-2016 at 14:14.
KissLick
Veteran Member
Old 12-18-2016 , 14:40   Re: [CS:GO] Player Trails TE_SetupBeamFollow
Reply With Quote #5

Have you tried env_spritetrail ?

> No help through PM, make a topic.
pcmaster
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-18-2016 , 17:05   Re: [CS:GO] Player Trails TE_SetupBeamFollow
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake84 View Post
Save the entity reference when you spawn it and periodically (not too often though) resolve it back into an ent index. if it exists continue, if it doesn't - respawn. Or just periodically respawn it (and kill the previous one if exists). That will work too.
Problem is, these are temp ents, as in, no actual entities.
Once you call TE_SetupBeamFollow, it's a fire-and-forget - hence why method also returns void.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-19-2016 , 10:22   Re: [CS:GO] Player Trails TE_SetupBeamFollow
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissLick View Post
Have you tried env_spritetrail ?
Will using this have the same functionality just with creating a ent that doesn't automatically delete?

Also are you guys saying there isn't a way to make it just auto refresh itself? If there is anyways can someone point me in the right direction to find it or provide a source where it is used?
Emp`
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 12-20-2016 , 19:38   Re: [CS:GO] Player Trails TE_SetupBeamFollow
Reply With Quote #8

IIRC the trail stops when the player is not moving; you can do a check to see if the player stopped and needs a new trail applied.

See [CS:GO] Player Trails (v1.1.0, 2016-11-04)

playertrails.sp
Send a message via AIM to Emp` Send a message via MSN to Emp` Send a message via Yahoo to Emp` Send a message via Skype™ to Emp`
cra88y
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-20-2016 , 22:31   Re: [CS:GO] Player Trails TE_SetupBeamFollow
Reply With Quote #9

I've tried the one above and it does not reapply, it even says in his github notes that he's trying to fix that still..
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-21-2016 , 03:22   Re: [CS:GO] Player Trails TE_SetupBeamFollow
Reply With Quote #10

That's because it's currently not possible to do anything other than this with TE_SetupBeamFollow.
I've done by far way to many different methods, and the one there is the best I could manage given the circumstances.
The issue is that changing any of values can cause different side effects; as such, the method I used worked best for changed cvars.

I would surely love for someone to give input or provide a better method, but as far as I am aware, you can not control temporary entities (TE). So killing them and starting them again isn't a viable option; thus, this whole issue I am having. If anyone wants to make a fool of me and provide an example method of killing temp ents and starting them again with a player in motion, I'd sure have a good laugh at myself for it.