Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

GeoCaching Mod

Post New Thread Reply   

Plugin Info:     Modification:   Counter-Strike        Category:   Fun Stuff        Approver:   Exolent[jNr] (178)
Edza
Old 01-16-2010 , 10:16   GeoCaching Mod
Reply With Quote #1

All information about the mod (how to play, set server) is here:
Http://geo.edza.lv
Click here for gameplay video

What is this?

GeoCaching (Geo!Caching) is a a huge mod whom is (kinda) based on the popular past time Geo Caching in real life. The main idea is that two teams compete one by setting and and the other by finding boxes.

The basic game boils down to three parts: Setting the boxes, finding the boxes and rampage. However each section has numerous additional features that help improve the gameplay. Tactics are especially important for wining the game.

However if you just want to go and hunt / kill / escape just do that, don't even read the rules.

How to play the game?

Before the game (preparations)
Geo!Caching needs only one dedicated key (Geo Key). To set the Geo Key:
1. Open Console (press the ~ key above tab);
2. Write bind v geo;
3. Press enter to set the v key as the Geo key.
You can replace the v key with any key you want. For example to make the f key the Geo Key write bind f geo in the console.

Game as a Terrorist
Game starts after freeze time:
1. Set boxes (using the Geo Key), try to hide them so the enemy team can't find them. (you have ~25 sec.)

When all boxes are set the enemy team will try to find them, if the enemy team finds all boxes they win:
2. While the enemy team is searching for boxes you can carry a box (using the Geo Key), when you carry a box you can place it in a better position, and while you carry a box game time runs faster, the more boxes are carried by more players the faster the time goes.

3. When carrying a box you can be killed, the enemy knows you carry a box because you glow red.

If all boxes are found in ~2min. you lose, if some boxes are left unfound you win. In any case a rampage happens next.

Game as a Counter-Terrorist
Game starts after freeze time:
1. Wait while boxes are set. (~ 25 sec.)

When all boxes are set go and find them:
2. When you see a box get near of it and press the Geo Key.

3. If you can't find boxes look at the radar (not the green round one), it will blink 1 time in 10 sec. to tell you that boxes are near.

4. Some enemy will carry boxes, you will now that because they will glow red. Every enemy that glows red can be killed. For each enemy that carries a box the time goes faster, leaving you with less time to find boxes.

If all boxes are found in ~2min. you win, if some boxes are left unfound you lose. In any case a rampage happens next.

Rampage
One team has already lost and one team has won, however rampage can change all that:
1. The wining team gets weapons and faster speed, losing team get's nothing.

2. If all of losing team is killed the winners win, but if the losing team survives 30 seconds they become the winners!

The team that wins the rampage get's a bonus next round, for example if Terrorists survive or kill all enemy then the time they will have to set boxes will be bigger!

Client Commands:
/geo - Displays help window. (also for idiots "\geo" and "geo" works too)
/nolag - GeoCaching mod uses a LOT of flashing messages, this will make them passive and will remove any lag that may be present.
(also idiot-proof)

Balancing:
I have only 2 hands, so you can imagine that testing a 10+ player mod is kinda hard. Because of that all timings and distances can be changed.

Yes I know I could have used CVars instead of const, but I highly doubt such an effort would be worth it, those who will actually care about it will be "smart" enough to press the compile button for themselves.

Code:
//Constant's below can be changed as needed, as different game environments need to be differently balanced.
//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
const boxFindDistance = 72 //distance around player in which he can find a box
const radarFindDistance = 272 //distance around player in which the radar will alert the player

const Float:boxSetBaseTime = 24.5 //time to set boxes
const Float:boxSetDiffBaseTime = 4.5 //penalty / award for a successful rampage
const Float:boxSetDiffPlayerAddTime = 0.4 //the change in the base time based on the player count

const Float:gameTime = 130.0 //time to find boxes
const Float:gameDiffBaseTime = 1.5 // if all boxes carried the amount removed each second from the game time
const Float:gameDiffPlayerAddTime = 0.1875 //for each player playing the base increases by this

const Float:rampageTime = 25.0 //time to survive / kill all enemy

const pickupBoxTime = 45 //time to pick up a box
const pickupBoxBaseAddTime = 25 //time to be added to the base time of pickup time second and so on time

const roundsInRowMustSetBoxes = 2 //how many rounds in a row player can not set boxes before getting killed and shown a help message
//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(contact me for in-depth description)

How to install?

If you have both amxx and metamod then the usual way:

1. Download resources. (Resources.zip)
2. Put them in your cstrike folder.
3. Download plugin.
4. Put in the amxx plugins folder.
5. Add "GeoCaching.amxx" to the plugins config file. (\cstrike\addons\amxmodx\configs\plugins.ini)
6. Uncomment "fun" and "cstrike" from modules config file. (\cstrike\addons\amxmodx\configs\modules.ini)
7. And that is all, enjoy.

Something is not working?
Calmly Contact us with your exact problem and what you were doing.

Changelog:
(From Version 1.1 to 1.2)
- To balance the game a bit and ensure that all features are used properly, boxes must be picked up by T at least one time in 45 sec. (after the first time it's 45 + 25). If they fail then they are killed and are shown a help message, I hope this improves gameplay.
- If you play as a T and are incapable to even set any boxes (for 2 rounds in a row) you will be killed and showed a help message, same reason as above.
- The language file is updated.
- Removed multiple HUD elements to make it all cleaner looking, also to make sure somebody does not mistake the Geo radar for the built-in radar.
- Timings and distances re-balancing.
- Help file is rewritten to be easier to understand.
- Dutch language was added. (translated by crazyeffect)
- Box picking up should now always work. Fixed an issue with too-many-preses restricter which was restricting every press that the user made.

(From Version 1.0 to 1.1)
- Implemented multilingual support. (big thanks to crazyeffect )
- Removed some left-over debug messages.
- Named every task, also added an offset so they will not start with zero. This is to reduce any future errors. (thanks to fysiks for the idea)
- Fixed issues with game going on standby mode, as some message were repeating themselves each round.
- Fixed team balance messages. Some messages that were to be displayed after a player was moved to CT were using a player id from T team instead of CT team of whom the player was registered with before team change (for some the message was displayed to the wrong player, to others twice).
- Ensured unfound boxes in rank will display right, as they were showing some weird numbers.

Who made this?
Geo Dev Team. Leader (me) - Eduards V.

A more glorious description can be found on the website.

It just works, so download and enjoy!

Oh, and if you decide to put it on your server it would be nice if you contacted me so I can add you to the server list on the web site, thanks.

If you speak any language besides English you are welcome to translate this mod to your native language and I'll add it to the mod. (see Resources.zip for language file)

Any thoughts, comments, critic, praise?

Click here for gameplay video
Attached Files
File Type: zip Resources.zip (107.0 KB, 1736 views)
File Type: sma Get Plugin or Get Source (GeoCaching.sma - 2920 views - 56.0 KB)

Last edited by Edza; 01-19-2010 at 13:58.
Zapdos1
BANNED
Old 01-16-2010 , 10:21   Re: GeoCaching Mod
Reply With Quote #2

screenshots ?
Edza
Old 01-16-2010 , 10:27   Re: GeoCaching Mod
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapdos1 View Post
screenshots ?
As I said I (sadly) have only 2 hands and it's hard to take screenshots for a multilayer game by myself.

You could open a server and test it out (2+ players needed).

EDIT:

Gameplay video (screenshot slideshow) is now available.

Last edited by Edza; 01-17-2010 at 16:00.
EXteRmiNaToR
Old 01-16-2010 , 10:35   Re: GeoCaching Mod
Reply With Quote #4

Wow!That's something original!Very nice!Gonna test it soon to see how it looks and post feedback!
Edza
Old 01-16-2010 , 10:36   Re: GeoCaching Mod
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXteRmiNaToR View Post
Wow!That's something original!Very nice!
Thanks!

That's really nice to hear.
NiHiLaNTh
Way Past Expiration
Old 01-16-2010 , 10:40   Re: GeoCaching Mod
Reply With Quote #6

hmm...Sounds interesting

EDIT.You should post GeoCaching_Server_Files.zip file on this forum.
EDIT2. Clean GeoCaching_Server_Files.zip file.Place in zip file only files that are required by plugin

Last edited by NiHiLaNTh; 01-16-2010 at 10:44. Reason: :)
Send a message via Skype™ to NiHiLaNTh
Edza
Old 01-16-2010 , 10:54   Re: GeoCaching Mod
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
EDIT.You should post GeoCaching_Server_Files.zip file on this forum.
Ok, I'll do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHiLaNTh View Post
EDIT2. Clean GeoCaching_Server_Files.zip file.Place in zip file only files that are required by plugin
As a software developer I have always liked controlled environment, accepting by default that the user is an idiot. So I try to give him everything - not only the mod, but also amxx, metamod and all that preconfigured.

But I understand your point so I'll post here a a version with only the mod files.

EDIT: Ok, so I uploaded two versions: 1. One with full amxx and metamod, 2. And the other with just the files that are needed for the mod to run.

Last edited by Edza; 01-16-2010 at 11:09.
durkeeez
BANNED
Old 01-16-2010 , 11:07   Re: GeoCaching Mod
Reply With Quote #8

I still dont understand what is this MOD about....
durkeeez
BANNED
Old 01-16-2010 , 11:10   Re: GeoCaching Mod
Reply With Quote #9

its something like HnS and you are hiding some boxes???
Edza
Old 01-16-2010 , 11:12   Re: GeoCaching Mod
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkeeez View Post
I still dont understand what is this MOD about....
Well in VERY simple terms it's about finding boxes that the enemy has set, but with a lot of additional features for all kinds of people: People who like to kill will have the opportunity to kill, those who like to escape can escape, those who like to plan and remain hidden can do that, there are just all these different game outcomes.

I can improve the description if it's hard to understand, is it?

Right now as I said there is a server running on geo.edza.lv, you can connect and see for yourself (needs 2+ players).

Last edited by Edza; 01-16-2010 at 13:38.