Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

AMXX not Legal??

Post New Thread Reply   

ManOrAstroman?
Old 04-21-2004 , 21:43   AMXX not Legal??
Reply With Quote #1

I was having a remote connection with someone today, because he was helping me set up my HLDS and he saw that i had my folder, AMXX. He then made sure that the recycle bin instantly deleted and started trying to delete AMXX. I had jsut spent 2 Hours configuring and downloading plugins for it. When i was obviously realizing what he was doin i pressed alt+esc and made sure that he didnt have control of my comp. I asked him why he was trying to delete AMXX and he said that he worked for AMX and that AMXX wasnt legal, and i would get sued. I deleted everything about him just in case and i told him that AMXX was legal and that they had permission for it as long as it wasnt called AMXX. He didnt Belive me so i disconnected all chats from him and banned him from my server. Right before i did that he had said that he would report me for what i was doing. Luckly he only deleted 3 files which i can download again which were modules.ini, plugins.ini and a file for Roll The Dice.

I was wondering if AMXX was really legal and if he was right.

Thank You
BAILOPAN
Old 04-21-2004 , 21:47  
Reply With Quote #2

Your friend does not know what he is talking about. Perhaps you can ask him to explain his fears so we can correct them.

Most likely he is confusing AMX Mod X with a hack or something, or maybe he things that since some leagues ban it that it's "illegal".

Anyway, it's perfectly legal to use. We wouldn't have mailed Valve about getting AMXx injected into Steam if it was illegal ;] (which - btw - they said they would help us with once Steam was stable).
Old 04-21-2004 , 21:49   thanks
Reply With Quote #3

coolness, thank you for responding so quickly, ill do just what you said.

I didnt know that AMXx might get injected into steam, thats really cool! Itll make things alot simpler for alot of people
ManOrAstroman?
Old 04-21-2004 , 23:48  
Reply With Quote #4

it turns out the guy deleted more than just those 3 files and he deleted something for warcraft3 FT cause now i get this error, i know that this is the wrong area to put this but i get this error
Code:
L 04/20/2004 - 22:13:46: [AMXX] Function not found (name "mysql_close") (plugin "warcraft3FT.amx")
BAILOPAN
Old 04-21-2004 , 23:57  
Reply With Quote #5

You need to use the mysql module... check modules.ini and make sure it's not commented

You may need to redownload the package

Tell your friend he should ask before deleting things ;]
Veteran Member
Old 04-22-2004 , 00:15  
Reply With Quote #6

Tell your friend to post these "illegal" findings on this website soo we can mock him

just playing about the mocking but if your friend had any common sense, why would he think AMXX is illegal but AMX is not?

In a open source community, anything is legal provided you give credit to orginal authors. OLO (creator of AMX) released AMX source to the AMX Dev Team, some what of the AMX Dev team is now the AMXX Dev Team, and they do give credit to OLO, soo its legal

P.S Enable the Mysql Module for warcraft FT, that is required even if you dont use it.

BAILOPAN
Old 04-22-2004 , 01:17  
Reply With Quote #7

You have to do more than give credit. Under the GNU General Public License version 2, we must retain the copyright in full. Which we do.

If there are any legal issues, I'd prefer people tell us so we can discuss it, although I am 100% positive there are none.

If anyone has doubts about the legality of AMXx, I suggest they look at these resources:
The Open Source Initiative: http://www.opensource.org/
The GNU General Public License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
Old 04-22-2004 , 01:23  
Reply With Quote #8

haha, thank you i had downloaded modules.ini again and it had mysql commented out, but i got rid of that! thanks it works again!!
IceMouse[WrG]
Old 04-22-2004 , 07:19  
Reply With Quote #9

I'm willing to bet your friend doesn't work for AMX, either, as the entire [sarcasm]development[/sarcasm] team has either come here, or left Counter-Strike. And they all know that AMXX is legal
Send a message via AIM to IceMouse[WrG] Send a message via MSN to IceMouse[WrG] Send a message via Yahoo to IceMouse[WrG]
ArtAttack
Old 04-22-2004 , 12:37  
Reply With Quote #10

I agree with Ice
Send a message via MSN to ArtAttack