Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

[DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?

Post New Thread Reply   

Lannister
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2018 , 19:03   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkarr View Post
Let's not throw rocks at each other.

Now, if I understand it correctly, because server owners are unable to create and manage community without the need of those illegal stuff, we should accept them because it is simply too hard to create a community without them ?

Or am I over simplyfing things ?
Exactly, as i said before, legit and good servers don't have it easy when they have to compete against another server using !ws even if the other server is pure shit, so this motivates server operators to install !ws on their servers.

I'm not personally against the !ws plugin, but if it's ilegal NO ONE should be abble to use it, as long as there are servers bypassing Valve "protection" against !ws there won't be "almost any chance" to compete against those servers.
freak.exe_uLow
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-10-2018 , 20:39   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannister View Post
Exactly, as i said before, legit and good servers don't have it easy when they have to compete against another server using !ws even if the other server is pure shit, so this motivates server operators to install !ws on their servers.

I'm not personally against the !ws plugin, but if it's ilegal NO ONE should be abble to use it, as long as there are servers bypassing Valve "protection" against !ws there won't be "almost any chance" to compete against those servers.
+1
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2018 , 21:44   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #73

Somebody said it a few posts ago - they don't go joining every single surf server looking for the one with the feature rich timer. If there are 100 surf servers because running a surf server with ads and weapon skins is profitable, most people won't find that feature-rich surf server. If there are only 10 surf servers because the 90 servers that just exist for profit are no longer profitable, now people can see and appreciate that feature rich server, because they're actually getting into it.

People say "just run a server with good features and people will join it", but it completely ignores the fact that there are just too many servers right now for anybody to see the good ones. When you join 10 servers in 30 seconds and they all suck, you start to assume there are no good servers and just settle. The shitty servers that are run by a kid who just wants a quick buck are inundating the scene and drowning out good servers. You can't have a server with good features and suddenly it's magic and none of the forces of the community are playing on you and magically you're in a perfect sitaution. That's not how reality works.

Last edited by ghostofmybrain; 07-10-2018 at 21:55.
fragnichtnach
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-11-2018 , 00:51   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
Because SourceMod is open source and extremely easy for anyone and their cat to build themselves (seriously, try it one day - the instructions are simple to follow and the tools are all free).

If we didn't have an option, someone would fork SourceMod and without all our checks and distribute their own binaries.

And we would end up stuck supporting their custom fork.

And as we got better at picking up on people asking for support against unofficial builds.

People would get better at hiding the fact they're using unofficial builds (anyone involved in AMXX could tell you about this at length in regards to DProto).

We already see this today with the fact that SourceMod doesn't let people block the 'sm plugins' client-side command, and that is something that people don't feel very strongly about at all.

That said, we now have tonnes of direct memory editing capability directly from SourcePawn (which caused most of the 'sm plugins' custom forks to die off already and more and more people blocking the command...), so it is bloody trivial to remove any restrictions we add in place (just as it is to remove / work around anything Valve do in the server binary). Within a week the popular "illegal" plugins would just inline their own patches.

There are a metric fuck tonne of skilled programmers and reverse engineers in the community, and more and more of them will happily sell their morals down the drain - no server-side restriction will stand against the mountain of advertising dollars available to break it.
Yes, I think the only actor who could punish those servers with these plugins is Valve. But they could do this by banning IPs from the master server, instantly and autoamtically reban tokens from multiple banned IPs, removing banned servers from client favorites....
NikolaTesla
Old 07-11-2018 , 00:59   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #75

Firstly: Why CS:GO was so popular? (and will be at least for a couple of years)
> The big events that Valve & Partners made plus Twitch Streammers and SKINS.

Yes. Skins...

Since they added it to the game with monetization purposes it was the beginning of a nightmare that we are living today.

Most of CSGO players didn't even play CS Source. I did play CS Source like a lot. It was the best game. Best community. Best mods (Valve actually stole some ideas from CSS community like the GunGame mode a.k.a Arms Race...) And the team @ Valve behind CS Source was also good. We had frequent updates related to the game engine and not stupid cosmetic things. We could do anything we wanted in CS Source. Add whatever we wanted. It was just great. To not mention that CSS didn't have the amount of toxic, superfluous and arrogant player base that we have in CSGO nowadays...

Then VALVE launches CSGO and adds a mediocre monetization concept.

The aforementioned company started one of the greatest gambling schemes in this world which is CSGO (or was until few weeks ago).

After receiving a lot of lawsuits they decided recently to end skins gambling.

CSGO players and server managers are just victims of this stupid system that this disastrous and negligent company introduced. I can't even imagine how good CSGO could be without these SKINS & another cosmetic superficial mediocre things... Instead of fixing a clearly unstable game they only added more and more cosmetics things.

After losing more than 30% of the daily average of players since the beginning of 2018 they decided to bring up Panorama hoping that they will revert the decadence of this game. They simply ruined it since the beginning. We all know how poor is their support. They usually take years to fix critical problems or they never fix them. It's just want too much waiting for them to change this stupidity.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys. I'm sure that 95% of the people didn't even read half of this post but for those who are here I have a proposal:

Let's pretend that Valve is a very attentious company and will listen to us all of sudden. What should they really do? Many many colleagues here already pointed out many solutions and also in tons of other posts on Alliedmods and other sites....

But I have something else to suggest and it will probably sound madness for those who put big money into this thing.

THERE SHOULD BE AN END FOR SKINS MARKET.

If people are in this game for virtual cosmetic items and not for the game itself and their mods then it's anything but a game.
Arkarr
Veteran Member
Old 07-11-2018 , 01:57   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #76

Make sense to me. Revert ti the old CSGO where skins didn't existed back then.
Old 07-11-2018 , 02:09   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaTesla View Post
THERE SHOULD BE AN END FOR SKINS MARKET.
What would you say, if someone tells YOU to stop earning money? That's bullshit and not a solution! Valve is a company that wants to earn money. Obviously they are allowed to earn money with skins and there is no opportunity to stop them doing.

But there is an opportunity to stop guideline-breaking-servers. And it is not asking them kindly to stop using it. They obviously won't stop untill they are forced to.
NikolaTesla
Old 07-11-2018 , 05:02   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkarr View Post
Make sense to me. Revert ti the old CSGO where skins didn't existed back then.
At least one person understands....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragnichtnach View Post
What would you say, if someone tells YOU to stop earning money? That's bullshit and not a solution! Valve is a company that wants to earn money. Obviously they are allowed to earn money with skins and there is no opportunity to stop them doing.

But there is an opportunity to stop guideline-breaking-servers. And it is not asking them kindly to stop using it. They obviously won't stop untill they are forced to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragnichtnach View Post

I perfectly understand that companies are meant to earn as much money as they can. But earning money from gambling is illegal... in many countries... I don't know about the US cause I don't live there but you get the idea. I guess Valve as a game company should earn money with games right? Not with a vicious gambling scheme worth billions until few weeks ago. And just re-stating it again. If the people are in the game for the skins and not for the fun that it might offer as a game then it's doomed. Do you think if it was easy like that to fix this problem they wouldn't have done already? I've seen many people saying that they earn *money* with GSLT but the amount that they make from selling new accounts for tokens is so insignifcant and not even close to what they earn hourly. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but putting more restriction on a game that is damn restricted already will be only more negative for us. As many said already. Make the "game" between server fair and make it completely free for everyone or do what you said. Fix it and let's see the consequences... At the end they are the owners of this game and will do whatever they want.

About this possible fix: Please somebody give me a light and say if this "fix" would somehow break sourcemod...
eyal282
Veteran Member
Old 07-11-2018 , 05:30   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #79

Because they hate Gaben's greed as an option.

Personally I don't use it.

Discord: Eyal282#1334
Dr!fter
The Salt Boss
Old 07-11-2018 , 07:49   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #80

I love everyone that says valve is greedy and all they care about is money... as they sell vip, access to weapon skins and play ads every 30 seconds unless you donate (someone actually admitted this to me) Lmao. The csgo server community is a fucking joke and only care about money themselves. So every single person that says valve only cares about money look at yourself first. I ran servers for 1.6 and source for years and our goal was never money. I’m glad they broke motd and hope they don’t fix it too I only feel bad for the people that use it for actual good.

In the last few months I’ve been extremely tempted to leave sm broken for csgo for a few days just to see the panic, cause boy do people panic. I actually left it broken for about 12 hours or so one day, I woke up to over 1000 posts in a thread people asking why it’s not fixed and complaining, some good stuff. In the past everyone was all about helping each other now it’s how can I make more money then the other and fuck everyone else (not everyone is like this but a fair few).