Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

tf_server_identity_account_id

Post New Thread Reply   

cybersquare420
Veteran Member
Old 04-16-2011 , 11:31   tf_server_identity_account_id
Reply With Quote #1

does anybody know what valve is using this for.... i understand that it maps your server to your steam id so they know who is hosting.... but what are they planning to do with this information?
Old 04-19-2011 , 08:52   Re: tf_server_identity_account_id
Reply With Quote #2

still no ideas? im really curious about this...
Old 04-19-2011 , 09:38   Re: tf_server_identity_account_id
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless update notes
Servers can now associate themselves with a Steam ID, which’ll allow us to track servers better going forward, rewarding the good ones and punishing the bad. If years from now you’re wondering how the entire TF2 team got a God complex, it probably started here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Email from Robin
Another feature in yesterday's update was the server-steam-accounts. We'll be using that to provide good servers (like yours) the ability to continue running their mods, while preventing bad servers from cheating the item system. We wanted to spend more time on it to have it all ready to go at once, but the recent arrival of some server mod's forced us to move faster.
Robin.
Anything other than this is just speculation (unless of course there are other private emails floating about, but a lot of people seem to have fun writing fake ones. I can personally verify the contents of this one though).
Old 04-19-2011 , 12:23   Re: tf_server_identity_account_id
Reply With Quote #4

well... thats more than i did know... i am confident my servers all qualify as "good" lol... thanx for the feedback. wonder if they will start vac banning owners of servers that cheat the system... things to hmmmm on
Old 04-19-2011 , 22:36   Re: tf_server_identity_account_id
Reply With Quote #5

Do you have to create different IDs for each server? I've put the same ID in multiple servers and these server do say "registered" in their tags, but using the client server list command says that I only have 1.
Old 04-19-2011 , 23:40   Re: tf_server_identity_account_id
Reply With Quote #6

I'm not sure about that, I used the same for my 2 servers and they both say registered.
SourceMod Developer
Old 04-20-2011 , 02:21   Re: tf_server_identity_account_id
Reply With Quote #7

You need one per server. If a 2nd server auths to the same account, the first is kicked off.
Old 04-20-2011 , 23:29   Re: tf_server_identity_account_id
Reply With Quote #8

Oh well not to worried about that as I still dont see these benefits they speak of so far so its no rush. I mean whats the point of it? If I'm not going to do anything "bad" in the first place with my servers then why should I even register them. Feels like they are taking over ownership with this system.

Last edited by Ginxeng; 04-20-2011 at 23:31.
Send a message via AIM to Ginxeng Send a message via MSN to Ginxeng Send a message via Skype™ to Ginxeng
Mister_Magotchi
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-21-2011 , 17:15   Re: tf_server_identity_account_id
Reply With Quote #9

If a server owner doesn't intend to use any gray-hat mods on their server, is there any benefit that anyone can see for registering a server to a steam account?

Also, as asherkin said that there can be only one server per steam account, I'm a little bit confused. Does this mean that some of the larger communities with multiple servers should assign each of their servers to the Steam account of a different staff member or admin?

Last edited by Mister_Magotchi; 04-21-2011 at 17:37. Reason: typos
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 04-21-2011 , 17:18   Re: tf_server_identity_account_id
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Magotchi View Post
If a server owner doesn't intend to use any gray-hat mods on their server, is there any benefit that anyone can see for registering a server to a steam account?
Not currently, Valve will obviously add more as they want everyone to register their server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Magotchi View Post
Also, as asherkin said that there can be only one server per steam accounts, I'm a little bit confused. Does this mean that some of the larger communities with multiple servers should assign each of their servers to the steam account of a different of their staff/admins?
1 server per server account.
10 server accounts per Steam account.