Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Protecting your server!

Post New Thread Reply   

Visual77
Veteran Member
Old 03-27-2012 , 03:20   Re: Protecting your server!
Reply With Quote #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackliu92 View Post
Indo not have any proof that was long long time ago. Around last year. I am good with SMAC now so I am not going to give it a try again.
Maybe the plugin does not like my server or my server does not like the plugin...lol
you havn't even tried it in a year? you know that SMAC is more heavy than rcon lock right? a crash using all the
SMAC features would be more highly than using all the features in rcon locker.

so when it comes to wanting the server to use as light memory and cpu as possible, rcon lock is a better option.
SMAC covers more exploits I guess, but in a more heavy way using many of the extensions to its help

Last edited by Visual77; 03-27-2012 at 07:39.
jackliu92
Old 03-27-2012 , 16:13   Re: Protecting your server!
Reply With Quote #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual77 View Post
you havn't even tried it in a year? you know that SMAC is more heavy than rcon lock right? a crash using all the
SMAC features would be more highly than using all the features in rcon locker.

so when it comes to wanting the server to use as light memory and cpu as possible, rcon lock is a better option.
SMAC covers more exploits I guess, but in a more heavy way using many of the extensions to its help
Here I got u a proof that Rcon Locker is causing problem on my server
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showpos...&postcount=529
And a least I'm not the only one who had that problem at that time.

I choose SMAC rather than Rcon locker is because SMAC has a team that supporting it and updating it.
Rcon locker u have to fix things urself and I have not hear from the author for long time. The plugin post was made in 2009 and never been modified since then. So even I have not try it for 1 year the plugin is still the same as it is, no different. It was made for SM 1.3, and it was made for older source engines. In my opinion it is OUT-DATED. As a result it may cause new "weird" problems and I do not expecting myself diging in to every problem or fixing every problem cause by an old plugin.

Last edited by jackliu92; 03-27-2012 at 16:26.
Visual77
Veteran Member
Old 03-27-2012 , 16:29   Re: Protecting your server!
Reply With Quote #43

that is still no proof or rcon_locker crashing your server, as we were discussing. if you don't have any real proof, you shouldn't come to such conclusions.

Quote:
Here I got u a proof that Rcon Locker is causing problem on my server
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showpos...&postcount=529
And a least I'm not the only one who had that problem at that time.

I choose SMAC rather than Rcon locker is because SMAC has a team that supporting it and updating it.
Rcon locker u have to fix things urself and I have not hear from the author for long time. The plugin post was made in 2009 and never been modified since then. It was made for SM 1.3, and it was made for older source engines. In my opinion it is OUT-DATED.

Last edited by Visual77; 03-27-2012 at 16:35.
jackliu92
Old 03-27-2012 , 16:50   Re: Protecting your server!
Reply With Quote #44

Quote:
that is still no proof or rcon_locker crashing your server, as we were discussing. if you don't have any real proof, you shouldn't come to such conclusions.
What is the difference? No player can join a crash server and no player will play on a server that never respawn. If my server is empty becuase of that I would just shut if off or remove this plugin like u would. Also it has potential risk of crashing the server due to it is old and unsupported by author. It suppose protect my server not causing problem to my server, it already failed its objective. That is the conclusions.

Last edited by jackliu92; 03-27-2012 at 17:06.
Visual77
Veteran Member
Old 03-27-2012 , 17:12   Re: Protecting your server!
Reply With Quote #45

Quote:
What is the difference? No player can join a crash server and no player will play on a server that never respawn. If my server is empty I would just shut if off. Also it has potential risk of crashing the server. That is the conclusions.
you spoke as if you knew rcon_locker was crashing your server. you shouldn't say that something is crashing your server when you can't proof it.
conclusion: rcon_locker works perfectly fine. the problem you linked to was TF2 related and a fix was provided multiple times. like here: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showpost.php?p=1204220&postcount=408

Last edited by Visual77; 03-27-2012 at 17:14.
pillepallus
Old 03-27-2012 , 17:20   Re: Protecting your server!
Reply With Quote #46

he just sounds still pissed. but bad experience will result in distrust... and i can understand that. xD

i also think support is very important particularly for security plugins. review is needed from time to time.

but in this case i need to say the thread (so also the plugin) seems to be still supported. not by the developer. but u can be sure the allied-team will help on issues. the big problem of the thread is the unfixed-files are still attached to the main-thread (first one). fix was provided later multiple times. maybe an forum admin will fix this. xD
pillepallus
Old 03-27-2012 , 17:22   Re: Protecting your server!
Reply With Quote #47

Quote:
you spoke as if you knew rcon_locker was crashing your server. you shouldn't say that something is crashing your server when you can't proof it.
conclusion: rcon_locker works perfectly fine. the problem you linked to was TF2 related and a fix was provided multiple times. like here: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showpost.php?p=1204220&postcount=408

lol u was faster... call me slow bob...
jackliu92
Old 03-27-2012 , 17:24   Re: Protecting your server!
Reply With Quote #48

Quote:
conclusion: rcon_locker works perfectly fine. the problem you linked to was TF2 related and a fix was provided multiple times. like here: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showpos...&postcount=408
Well it did. I just no longer have the log with me. I did not bother to ask since I got SMAC as my 2nd option. The plugin already proved to me that it was crashing my server. I did not remove the plugin because the respawn timer issue, as you saw in the link that I had it fixed. It is ur choice to believe it or not I did not asking anyone to believe what I said. There is pointless for me to tell something it is not true, nothing good for me, nothing good for anybody, why would I say it if it never happened to me? So it is your choice to believe or not, I am not begging you to believe.

The related fix is not by the author, other people can help it fix once but not forever. At least no new feature to be added to this plugin, it will not prevent new exploit unless someone is charged to update this plugin.

Also how much do you know about rcon_locker then?? You are just a user who uses it, you spoke as you can guarantee that rcon_locker never and will not crash any server.

How much do you know about SMAC? U spoke like SMAC is taking too much resource that is causing probelm. You have proof for that huh? Also for light memory and CPU, how much do you know about my server? Did I said anything like I want light memory and CPU plugin for my server? I don't run my server on a 10 years old machine like some people.

Last edited by jackliu92; 03-28-2012 at 08:30.
Visual77
Veteran Member
Old 03-28-2012 , 05:45   Re: Protecting your server!
Reply With Quote #49

there were no reports that the respawn bug in TF2 would cause the server to crash. that is something you just made up and now can't proof.
I've been running rcon_locker since 2009 and it hasn't been crashing my server, so I take such claims very seriosly.

First, SMAC is using 2 big extensions, sdkhooks and the connect extension, these two seems to be instable with SMAC in general and when used, consumes a lot of CPU. there has been claims that running SMAC together with the wallhack module is very instable - causing crashes, people dissapering behind corners in game, even kicking people off the server. if you don't belive me here, I suggest you go on the SMAC forum and read through a couple of pages.

there has been reports of the connect spam preventer in SMAC crashing the server on client connection, proof's have been provided but I don't think a soultion has. if you don't believe me agian, go to the forum and check if people have had crashes with the client spam connect preventer.

third, SMAC is using a lot of repeating timers, always checking on the client. if they are console spamming, cvar hacking etc... in the long run that will take up some memory. rcon_locker is using less timers, but then again, SMAC covers a lot more exploits in a way that is more demanding for the server.

you have the right to choose whatever plugin you like, but I'll say it again, SMAC isn't excatly bug free itself and a crash is more highly when using all the features in SMAC (even the ones that are turned off by defualt) than with rcon_locker being fully loaded. that comes from someone who runs rcon_locker. I'm not saying that SMAC is bad or anything, I'm just saying that it might not be more stable than rcon_locker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackliu92
Well it did. I just no longer have the log with me. I did not bother to ask since I got SMAC as my 2nd option. The plugin already proved to me that it was crashing my server. It did not remove the plugin because the respawn timer issue, as you saw in the link that I had it fixed. It is ur choice to believe it or not I did not asking anyone to believe what I said. There is pointless for me to tell something it is not true, nothing good for me, nothing good for anybody, why would I say it if it never happened to me? So it is your choice to believe or not, I am not begging you to believe.

The related fix is not by the author, other people can help it fix once but not forever. At least no new feature to be added to this plugin, it will not prevent new exploit unless someone is charged to update this plugin.

Also how much do you know about rcon_locker then?? You are just a user who uses it, you spoke as you can guarantee that rcon_locker never and will not crash any server.

How much do you know about SMAC? U spoke like SMAC is taking too much resource that is causing probelm. You have proof for that huh? Also for light memory and CPU, how much do you know about my server? Did I said anything like I want light memory and CPU plugin for my server? I don't run my server on a 10 years old machine like some people.

Last edited by Visual77; 03-28-2012 at 08:44.
jackliu92
Old 03-28-2012 , 09:14   Re: Protecting your server!
Reply With Quote #50

Quote:
there were no reports that the respawn bug in TF2 would cause the server to crash. that is something you just made up and now can't proof.
I've been running rcon_locker since 2009 and it hasn't been crashing my server, so I take such claims very seriosly.

First, SMAC is using 2 big extensions, sdkhooks and the connect extension, these two seems to be instable with SMAC in general and when used, consumes a lot of CPU. there has been claims that running SMAC together with the wallhack module is very instable - causing crashes, people dissapering behind corners in game, even kicking people off the server. if you don't belive me here, I suggest you go on the SMAC forum and read through a couple of pages.

there has been reports of the connect spam preventer in SMAC crashing the server on client connection, proof's have been provided but I don't think a soultion has. if you don't believe me agian, go to the forum and check if people have had crashes with the client spam connect preventer.

third, SMAC is using a lot of repeating timers, always checking on the client. if they are console spamming, cvar hacking etc... in the long run that will take up some memory. rcon_locker is using less timers, but then again, SMAC covers a lot more exploits in a way that is more demanding for the server.

you have the right to choose whatever plugin you like, but I'll say it again, SMAC isn't excatly bug free itself and a crash is more highly when using all the features in SMAC (even the ones that are turned off by defualt) than with rcon_locker being fully loaded. that comes from someone who runs rcon_locker. I'm not saying that SMAC is bad or anything, I'm just saying that it might not be more stable than rcon_locker.
1. What I said is:
I. The respawn timer issue acts no different than a server crash to me, but I had it fixed so I did not remove Rcon locker from my server.
II. My server was crashing after valve made a huge update on the source engine somewhere last year. This is when I removed Rcon locker from my server, then my server back to normal again.

2. I did not say:
I. My server was crashing because of the respawn timer issue.

3. About ur claims
I. We are running different servers. What happened to my server does not mean it will happen to your server. What happened to ur server does not mean it will happen on other people's server.

4. About SMAC
I. I did not trying to prove it is a bug free application.
II. It is true that wall hack mod is buggy, since I tried it an invisible player did happen to my server. This is why I don't run this mod on my server. But this has nothing related to SMAC Rcon locker.
III. I do not really mind about resource usage on my server. However I believe SMAC fixed connection spawn then server drops all players issue.
IV. As long as the crashing not appear on my server I do not care if there is prove or not. People running the server on different os, games, plugins, exts, CPU, ram, security settings. What happened to another server does not mean it will happen to my server. There are many people running SMAC without problem too.

Last edited by jackliu92; 03-28-2012 at 09:47.