Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Scone
Old 05-01-2010 , 09:24   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
Yes, I do understand the issue. Did you read my post?
I did read your post - seeing as the problem is that the flaw could be (and likely is) abused, it seems a bit odd to say "if it's not abused, nothing will go wrong". It takes just one person abusing it to cause a problem.
Old 05-01-2010 , 09:48   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scone View Post
I did read your post - seeing as the problem is that the flaw could be (and likely is) abused, it seems a bit odd to say "if it's not abused, nothing will go wrong". It takes just one person abusing it to cause a problem.
Well then my statement is still valid; if it is not abused then all is well. I never said people will not abuse this, I was basically saying in a perfect world this steamid replacement is harmless if used ethically. Of course there are malicious server operators out there that will be falsely banning people.
Old 05-01-2010 , 09:53   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Couldn't something like a little asterisk perpending the SteamID or just the line to show that the ID has been changed fix this? Such a thing seems to be a problem to the solution, assuming the demos are looked at personally by admins at SteamBans, which I couldn't see how they aren't.
DruGzOG
Veteran Member
Old 05-01-2010 , 09:55   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked_ View Post
Couldn't something like a little asterisk perpending the SteamID or just the line to show that the ID has been changed fix this? Such a thing seems to be a problem to the solution, assuming the demos are looked at personally by admins at SteamBans, which I couldn't see how they aren't.
At the same time, someone can recode it to remove the asterisk, or something that displays that there is a change.
Veteran Member
Old 05-01-2010 , 10:21   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruGzOG View Post
At the same time, someone can recode it to remove the asterisk, or something that displays that there is a change.
I'd suggest hard coding it and closing the source to a small file that would specify the key and maybe force the symbol, but that would be just another reason to unapprove it, due to the closed-source. Perhaps permission from a moderator would suffice?
DruGzOG
Veteran Member
Old 05-01-2010 , 10:40   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
I'd suggest hard coding it and closing the source to a small file that would specify the key and maybe force the symbol, but that would be just another reason to unapprove it, due to the closed-source. Perhaps permission from a moderator would suffice?
It would, but at the same time, breaking a global rule of keeping the file opened source, will trigger other users to do something similar, when coding a plugin like SteamID Replacer.

In the end, a new topic like this will spark for almost every plugin that will change something that may be valuable data.
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 05-01-2010 , 10:43   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

Quote:
Perhaps permission from a moderator would suffice?
Permission from dvander would be needed.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
stupok
Veteran Member
Old 05-01-2010 , 12:39   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

I think we can change the topic of discussion now.

It's clear that the problem is not the steamid replacer plugin.

The problem is that SteamBans relies on a changeable steamid. The plugin exacerbates the problem.

What are the developers of SteamBans going to do about it? Since they're censoring this plugin, they must not be ready to deal with the problem. They could accept reports only from trusted servers. They could maintain a database of who played what, when, and with whom. Contradictions in the database would indicate a changed steamid. They could keep track of the IPs (and countries) that each steamid uses, perhaps even previous names. All of these things would help to increase the likelihood that a steamid report is authentic. It also requires a lot of resources.

So, fine, censor the plugin. Surely it will make the problem smaller right now, but it doesn't save your project from failure in the long term. However, don't censor the knowledge. Users should understand the reliability of your reports.
Old 05-01-2010 , 13:34   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

If there was another way to get the user steamid, there won't be a problem, but since there is, can't say nothing.
Veteran Member
Old 05-01-2010 , 14:51   Re: Why trash Steamid Replacer?

why not make the plugin so that admins can see the users actual steamID, but players see the fakeID?
then when an admin reports a cheater, they will have the users real steamID and everyone is happy