12% 

Non-Steam = No Support

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

joaquimandrade
Veteran Member
Old 04-13-2010 , 19:26   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
I don't see how I deserve to be called Mussolini. I didn't delete anything. If the owner feels they want to delete it they have the right to do so. And just because I'm ok with protecting the community doesn't make me deserve it either.
You defend censoring to protect something, instead of finding a better way for that something to work (they didn't protect nothing in the end). That is the easiest position. Also, you took the time to defend the deletion action but I didn't see you saying that they should had inform me why they trashed my thread.

Last edited by joaquimandrade; 04-13-2010 at 19:28.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 04-13-2010 , 19:31   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

My point was to show me where the client's PC HID is transmitted to the Steam Server. If you are referring to the HID being the MAC, then the MAC will change based on what devices the packet goes out of.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
joropito
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-13-2010 , 19:33   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seta00 View Post
Here:

Nah, I kid Yami. Seriously now:
What's the point of knowing the HID only at client side?!?!?! If you want to use it as an ID, a replacement for SteamID, then it HAS to be transmitted to the server.
Agree

And you can see that there's anticheats (for example sxe) that uses HID to ban "unique" users but there's a way to change HID and avoid that ban.

I think the best way, and not perfect, is to use an online authentication protocol between client->server->valve but should be really online and through server (or some kind of three way handshake authentication)

Divide et vinces
approved plugins | steam account

I don't accept PM for support. Just ask on forums.
If you're looking for private work, PM me.
Send a message via MSN to joropito
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 04-13-2010 , 19:34   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

Whatever, I'm done stating my opinion. I try to avoid stupid topics like this and I've learned my lesson when I don't.
Old 04-13-2010 , 19:35   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
My point was to show me where the client's PC HID is transmitted to the Steam Server.
It isn't. I'm explaining to wrecked why HID (or anything at all) aren't fail-safe.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joropito View Post
I think the best way, and not perfect, is to use an online authentication protocol between client->server->valve but should be really online and through server (or some kind of three way handshake authentication)
In our situation, there's no solution, since the server is completely hacked up. Even with an authentication protocol, the implementation would be exploitable through the server.

Last edited by Seta00; 04-13-2010 at 19:38.
stupok
Veteran Member
Old 04-13-2010 , 20:35   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

A few things...

@fysiks

So you got called mussolini, big deal. You stated your opinion, other people stated their opinions, it's called a discussion. Maybe we can learn from each other, eh? Don't get your feathers all ruffled.

@steamid problem

Who is affected by this problem? Let's go through some possible examples, please add more if you see that I skipped something.
1. Oh, no! My zombie/war3ft/stats/etc. mod will be ruined!

No, it won't. The steamids will be changed only on the server that runs the steamid-changer. Exolent mentioned that players would be able to access the xp/levels/stats of other players. This is actually not an issue, because it would happen only if the server admin runs a steamid-changer. If the admin wants to ruin the experience of his players, he can do it with or without a steamid-changer.

2. VAC bans

Not affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
Since VAC bans by account and not SteamID, I doubt this will affect VAC as VAC status is checked on the account during authorization of the account during the connection process.
3. SteamBans

Yes, this may be affected. Server admins can send reports to SteamBans with false steamids and evidence of cheating. A steamid-changer may cause some false reports.

I'm not familiar with SteamBans at all, so forgive my ignorance, but it seems like an awful way to report bans. What's stopping people from making false reports by submitting false steamids without this nifty steamid-changer?
So, I can't find any real harm caused by a steamid-changer. It doesn't really provide much benefit either, but it's still cool.

For example, you could have a plugin that makes all your friends have the coolest steamids (1337, 80085, etc.). Or, you could mark certain players' steamids with special characters when they have special privileges or when they have warnings for breaking rules, etc. It's not much different than changing players' names.

Last edited by stupok; 04-14-2010 at 20:34.
Veteran Member
Old 04-13-2010 , 20:54   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupok View Post
What's stopping people from making false reports by submitting false steamids without this nifty steamid-changer?
Hashes. In short, SteamBans only accepts demos that were recorded on servers that have their Metamod plugin running, which adds hashes to the demos.
The Seta00 user has crashed.
Old 04-13-2010 , 21:08   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupok View Post
2. VAC bans

Not affected.
Tested?
stupok
Veteran Member
Old 04-13-2010 , 21:19   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

Seta00, of course I didn't test it. Maybe Joaquim or others can explain if it will affect VAC bans.
Old 04-14-2010 , 05:16   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

Quote:
In our situation, there's no solution, since the server is completely hacked up. Even with an authentication protocol, the implementation would be exploitable through the server.
obviously is to make steamdid to player be passed thru valve not the game server, that's the only one reliable way

status cmd->ask valve server-> get response from valve server without touching gameserver anyhow

but that won't happen

Quote:
Or, you could mark certain players' steamids with special characters
Quote:
HWID, SXE
You could write a plugin to put HW-ID into players STEAM-IDs, not rewritting whole bunch of plugins you have to work with steam-id
Израильский форум - Задаёшь вопрос, потом тебе задают вопрос.
Русский форум - Задаёшь вопрос, потом тебе долго рассказывают, какой ты мудак.
Send a message via ICQ to Owyn
Closed Thread