Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

[L4D1] The Bile Bomb Molotov - a suggestion

Post New Thread Reply   

Sunyata
Old 01-06-2023 , 10:54   [L4D1] The Bile Bomb Molotov - a suggestion
Reply With Quote #1

I was wondering if it might be a good idea to have a L4D1 plugin that modifies the Molotov to have a similar effect to the bile bomb in L4D2. When thrown, the modified Molotov (or bile-molly) would reveal the position of any Infected with a halo glow effect, so that when any of them entered the flames on the ground the players would see them become highlighted through the flames and even reveal them when hidden behind objects that would normally obscure the player's view - such as walls or fences etc - giving players the temporary "x-ray vision" effect as already used in L4D2.

To provide us with a narrative as a gameplay mechanic for L4D1, the 'bile-flame' damage of the bile-Molotov could be made weaker than a normal Molotov (due to the bile goo diluting the petrol fuel in the bottle to be less effective, ofc its main purpose is to create a sticky fluorescence to highlight those nasty Infected that would normally be lurking or hiding away outside of the player's view. In addition, the normal molly could still burn itself out at the default time (15 seconds), but the bile-molly burnout time could be doubled, but as a tradeoff, let it have a damage factor of perhaps half of that of the normal molly.

Players could then choose between using the normal Molotov or the weaker bile-Molotov, however, it would also need to include a chat command -!bilemolly- that toggles this feature on or off, or alternately use a trigger action such as throw the Molly while also pressing the [USE] key. It could also be useful to have CVAR options to add the glow effects to either Infected or players or both, with even an option to have the highlighted glow effect using a colour that contrasts with the orange flames of the Molotov - such as blue for example (again set as a CVAR).

In image link 1 below for example, the bile-Molotov would highlight survivors and infected within the player's field of view, as well as highlighting them from behind the vehicle. The different coloured glows around the characters in the image is just for illustration purposes, but a blue colour would likely contrast well with the orangeness of the flames.

[Link 1 image]

In image 2 below it shows how the bile bomb splash effect in L4D2 reveals the positions of the Infected lurking behind the building wall, giving the player a temporary 'x-ray vision' and a heads-up point of view.

[Link 2 image]

Anyway, I hope this suggestion for a modified Molotov for L4D1 could be useful to players and add an interesting new feature to the game. I shall live in hope that some creative coder here may find this idea an interesting challenge. If not, then at least I tried.

Thanks for reading,

Sunyata

Last edited by Sunyata; 01-06-2023 at 11:22. Reason: link updated
Marttt
Veteran Member
Old 01-06-2023 , 13:02   Re: [L4D1] The Bile Bomb Molotov - a suggestion
Reply With Quote #2

maybe this helps [L4D & L4D2] Prototype Grenades
Old 01-07-2023 , 02:59   Re: [L4D1] The Bile Bomb Molotov - a suggestion
Reply With Quote #3

Hey! thanks Martt, I tried to do a search for my above suggestion on the forums here using the filters for "Molotov, bile and bomb" and only got a null search result. If only I had used the word 'grenade' in my search as well, I would have seen the link you provided, without the need to post my suggestion here.

It looks like Silver's plugin may have what I want with his 'glow 2' effect. I'll test that out later, and hopefully, it may give me something in line with my suggestions above.
Sunyata
Old 01-08-2023 , 09:00   Re: [L4D1] The Bile Bomb Molotov - a suggestion
Reply With Quote #4

So I checked out Silver's Prototype grenade plugin and from what I've tested out it's generally brilliant in what it can do. Kudos to Silvers for making it.

However, the glow effect in the opening post called "2. glow" (in the 'pic 2' link) above wont work in l4d1. I checked out the data config file and it only supports that glow effect in l4d2.

So my original idea above still stands as a legit request. I'm just wondering if there is something that could be tweaked in the l4d1 glow effect that could work with some part of the code in silvers plugin. Anybody have any other thoughts on how this could work?

Sunyata
Sunyata
Old 03-15-2023 , 04:45   Re: [L4D1] The Bile Bomb Molotov - a suggestion
Reply With Quote #5

In reference to a previous post of mine [Link here], I have found an alternative solution to my opening post idea of using a Bile-Molotov and is the next best thing I could think of, as no other alternatives for the L4D1 game are currently available on these forums.

For those interested in seeing my plugin in action, please refer to my post on at this link [here]. It should be noted that my plugin is only compatible with another one of my plugins on my own server, and therefore cannot be used as a standalone plugin. However, if any modders are interested in creating a fork of my plugin to suit their own purposes, then please feel free to PM me and I would be happy to share my script with you to modify it to fit your own purposes.

Regards,

Sunyata.