Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Pinion Discussion Thread

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 04-19-2013 , 10:57   So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
seting that to 1 will forcefully close the motd on the client side even if he should still be watching it
Yeah, you should set it to 0 if you use Pinion.
Old 04-19-2013 , 11:52   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
Yeah, you should set it to 0 if you use Pinion.
or leave it alone if you have no setting as 0 is default correct?
Dr. McKay
Old 04-19-2013 , 11:53   So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick View Post
or leave it alone if you have no setting as 0 is default correct?
Yup.
Old 04-23-2013 , 21:41   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Hi All,

We've sent around an important email. As always, happy to discuss here, via email, Steam, Skype, anywhere and everywhere.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-23-2013 , 21:47   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel.PinionGG View Post
Hi All,

We've sent around an important email. As always, happy to discuss here, via email, Steam, Skype, anywhere and everywhere.
I read it but not sure I either like it or understand it...I have it set to 15 seconds, IMO 15 seconds is way long enough to force on players PERIOD.

Now if I understand this for those that don't like 30 seconds you want to set up an alternative that would use a rev share model or basically only pay me for impressions that are sold which are likely less than 5% LOL I mean dude these are kids playing GAMES not buying products right then and there or will click out of game to go buy something. I'm happy with 15 seconds and getting paid based on my 70% completion percentage as it is but I'd love to see the forced times just go away period cause it does make players leave and not come back.

So if you leave it alone as is then I'm ok, if you don't pay me for people seeing the ads but not buying something then I may as well just pack it up and call it which I'm sure others here would say the same thing. I like pinion and I barely break even with what I run now from it and the settings I have now but I don't know if this will fly.
serpentine
I don't have a problem
Old 04-23-2013 , 21:50   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

The ad during map load idea is interesting. Wonder how it will be done.
Old 04-23-2013 , 21:58   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick View Post
I read it but not sure I either like it or understand it...I have it set to 15 seconds, IMO 15 seconds is way long enough to force on players PERIOD.
But you can't force anything AT ALL if you run a MvM server, nor can you force it if you run a matchmaking server.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentine View Post
The ad during map load idea is interesting. Wonder how it will be done.
An external program most likely. I doubt that they could be using the Steam overlay to do this. Thought that could be a way for valve to make even more money.
Dr. McKay
Old 04-23-2013 , 22:04   So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nsane View Post
But you can't force anything AT ALL if you run a MvM server, nor can you force it if you run a matchmaking server.
Some people are starting to use the connect <ip> matchmaking command to get around ads even when not using Quickplay. It would be nice if there was a way to detect this, but I'm not sure the client even sends that info to the server.
Old 04-23-2013 , 22:15   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
Some people are starting to use the connect <ip> matchmaking command to get around ads even when not using Quickplay. It would be nice if there was a way to detect this, but I'm not sure the client even sends that info to the server.
I don't believe there is. Psychonic posted that command when I asked on the mailing list if there's some way to test the changes. But he wasn't aware of a method for a server to detect it.
Fearts
ferts of daeth
Old 04-23-2013 , 23:08   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

@Daniel.PinionGG

Have you found a solution for video buffer times? This is going to be key if you expect us to force people to watch the entire ad. Without some way to buffer a video before it's shown we will lose a % of our impressions and it will force us to increase watch times to compensate. This lose of impressions and forced increase of ad time does not make this very attractive.

I'm very curious about the overlays. I'm guessing this is something you will have to work out with Valve, because I just don't understand how this could possibly work. How is the ad network going to know who is seeing a ad and for how long with a overlay? Well I look forward to seeing what you come up with.