Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Pinion Discussion Thread

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-07-2013 , 18:01   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBSGTS View Post
Supposedly respawntime modifications are supposed to completely disqualify quickplay matching.

Source: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...-AFGJ-3513#mat

Edit: ninj'd

well after about 12 players the server quickly fills up quickplay traffic or not but I have tags set properly to show it so no danger in causing any issues with trying to cheat the system.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-07-2013 , 18:06   Re: Pinion Completetion Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
Probably less money than would have been lost buying impressions they couldn't sell.
This is the root of the problem. The ad companies have gotten too greedy and now that we can fast forward thru TV commercials/skip them altogether on some systems - avoid them in browsers with adblock etc etc..they are looking for anyway they can to push it on people even if that means doing it to gamers in games. IMO they should pay for 3 seconds of an ad showing no matter what as it DID in fact show - and that few seconds of the ad showing may or may not turn into anything but thats the same chance they take from 3 to 30 seconds. The only ad I've ever watched all the way thru was the one with the model walking around her kitchen in her panties eating a bowl of cereal...hell I would have played it again if I could have at that moment.
DeathMaster
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-07-2013 , 18:16   Re: Pinion Completetion Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick View Post
This is the root of the problem. The ad companies have gotten too greedy and now that we can fast forward thru TV commercials/skip them altogether on some systems - avoid them in browsers with adblock etc etc..they are looking for anyway they can to push it on people even if that means doing it to gamers in games. IMO they should pay for 3 seconds of an ad showing no matter what as it DID in fact show - and that few seconds of the ad showing may or may not turn into anything but thats the same chance they take from 3 to 30 seconds. The only ad I've ever watched all the way thru was the one with the model walking around her kitchen in her panties eating a bowl of cereal...hell I would have played it again if I could have at that moment.
You do know that players can still block all ads we throw at them ingame. All they need to do is disable the HTML MOTD in options and done. No more ads. Forcing people to do something they don't want or are not interested in is not the key to success.
1nsane
SourceMod Donor
Old 01-07-2013 , 18:54   Re: Pinion Completetion Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
Probably less money than would have been lost buying impressions they couldn't sell.
Either Pinion is trying to maximize revenue or their advertisers are very demanding.

How many other advertising services can force users to watch an ad for 18 seconds minimum? How many others have a requirement of 18 seconds minimum before any payout? Even Google payed me more for the ads on my youtube videos.

I have shorter overlay ads that users can skip on some of my websites, those pay more than Pinion. Services like adfly pay more than Pinion. Though yes, those are on a different formats and I would likely get in trouble if I tried using them on the MOTD. But if it all boils down to advertisers, there should be some better ones around.

I also noticed that official servers don't have this enforcement, I doubt they would be running servers for Valve if they made nothing from them. And I also doubt that Pinion gets payed 0 if a players watches just 17 seconds. That's just too long to get nothing for. Even text ads will end up paying more than Pinion come February if these completion rates stay as they are now.

There is time until February. And I still have confidence that Pinion will find a way to make things better for us.
Marcus101RR
Veteran Member
Old 01-07-2013 , 19:47   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

I keep hearing about this Pinion, and it appears this is a server provider from our usual titled "Valve Servers" that are provided for source games? Is this true, why is there hate about these servers?
SourceMod Donor
Old 01-07-2013 , 20:10   Re: So, who will be dropping Pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus101RR View Post
I keep hearing about this Pinion, and it appears this is a server provider from our usual titled "Valve Servers" that are provided for source games? Is this true, why is there hate about these servers?
Pinion as an official server host is not really what this discussion is about. The hate you mention probably comes from people complaining about official servers having ads or crashes caused by ads. Most of that complaining comes from the Steam forums.

However it seems Pinion hosts servers in areas where there would be no other official servers. So the hate there is somewhat misdirected. It's definately better to have an official server with ads and low ping than a valve server without ads with 300 ping.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-07-2013 , 21:05   Re: Pinion Completetion Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathMaster View Post
You do know that players can still block all ads we throw at them ingame. All they need to do is disable the HTML MOTD in options and done. No more ads. Forcing people to do something they don't want or are not interested in is not the key to success.
I didn't say it was but nobody is forcing them to play on those servers either - same complaint I got from an idiot about my decals - if you don't like them then don't freaking look at them or don't play on my servers - period.
Sreaper
髪を用心
Old 01-07-2013 , 21:52   Re: Pinion Completetion Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick View Post
if you don't like them then don't freaking look at them or don't play on my servers
Are players able to tell whether or not a server is running pinion before joining it?

Last edited by Sreaper; 01-07-2013 at 21:54.
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 01-07-2013 , 21:55   Re: Pinion Completetion Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreaper View Post
Are players able to tell whether or not a server is running pinion before joining it?
http://www.gametracker.com/search/?s...hipp=50#search
Old 01-07-2013 , 22:00   Re: Pinion Completetion Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreaper View Post
yep but they can join once and decide if they wish to come back again or support the server with a few seconds of their time.
Closed Thread